Radio Shack wireless speakers deal

• Members

RS's wireless system minus the transmitter on close out at $30 marked down from $249. Store manager said the whole approach never caught on because it took three separate components. I checked the two speakers out they seemed hefty not a flimsy box- 5 inch woofer, tweeter. handling power 50 watts. They are fed from an AC line so is there anyway to alter that built in amp to take line inputs without the AC feed? Just curious-I'm vague about how it handles a stereo send on AC with just a two pronged AC socket.I still may just buy the two as passive speakers because the specs were decent. I ran a signal from the store's receiver to the satellite speaker and it sounded pretty decent

• Members

AC is for power to the receiver built into the speakers and their associated power, not for signal transmission, that is handled wirelessly, thus the term "wireless speaker".

Without a transmitter, you'd need to have a more than basic understanding of electronics to locate the input to the amps, figure out the impedance, and install connectors to that in order to feed a line level signal to them. Also, I bet they are far from flat. Might be good (and probably designed) for rear surround, but certainly not for mixing.

• Members

I'm intrigued about the deal. At worst I've have two passive speakers worth $15 each for junk reference. What am I going to find when I open up the box with the amp? It isn't for certain that the speakers are proprietary like Bose stuff which needs special EQ. The boxes just felt very very heavy not like the usual Radio Shack junk marked with RCA. They felt as heavy as an ancient pair of KLH 32s.

Archived