Cables

• Members

We are currently running 1/4" cables from mixer to amp to monitors. Do we need to get 1/4 to speakon cable to run from mixer to amp and then speakon to 1/4 for amp to monitors? We run speakon all the way thru for mains, just wondering if it mattered much for monitors.

Thanks

Jeff

• Members

From mixer to amp is not a Speak-On type of connection.

I think you may be confused. If you are using a seperate amp for monitors, (not a mixer-amp) you will use a shielded signal cable between the mixer and the amp.

I think you will find little value in Speak-Ons for this application unless your boxes and amp (or output panel) are equipped with Speak-Ons already.

Speak-ons can make a difference when the power levels are high, you need 4 conductors for biamp operation, or if you want to prevent connectors from getting unplugged (which can damage an amp).

• Members

You are correct that the mixer doesn't have Speakon connectors, but the amp does. I was assuming I could put a 1/4" plug on the mixer end and a Speakon on the amp end, but I wasn't sure if these both used the same wire configuration or not. And if they did, would it be any benefit. But you already aswered that below.

Originally posted by agedhorse

From mixer to amp is not a Speak-On type of connection.

I think you may be confused. If you are using a seperate amp for monitors, (not a mixer-amp) you will use a shielded signal cable between the mixer and the amp.

I think you will find little value in Speak-Ons for this application unless your boxes and amp (or output panel) are equipped with Speak-Ons already.

Speak-ons can make a difference when the power levels are high, you need 4 conductors for biamp operation, or if you want to prevent connectors from getting unplugged (which can damage an amp).

Thanks

Jeff

• Members

OK, I'm an idiot! I don't know what I was thinking. Let me start over.

The mon outs on our board are 1/4" jacks, and the ins on the monitor amp are 1/4" or XLR. Would there be any difference if I had a 1/4" to XLR cable as apposed to a 1/4" to 1/4" cable?

Sorry about the confussion,

Jeff

• Members

Depends on what is balanced or not, and whether you use a TRS or TS plug on the cable. Most likely, your mixer outputs are balanced, and XLR is almost always balanced. If the 1/4" input on the amp is balanced, then sound-wise, it wont make a difference, as long as you use a balanced cable to keep the balanced connection. If the 1/4" input on the amp is unbalanced, then it would be advantageous to use the balanced XLR input.

As far as XLR vs. 1/4", the sound is the same as long as they are making a good connection. XLR can be a more solid and reliable connection, though.

Archived