impedance problems

• Members

to other days i hook up two tops in parallel to my amp, and at first they work just fine.but along a show the sound cuts and then started again(weird). so at first i thinked that it was a wire problem. so i change the wire to the amp.

then i finally notices that the two tops i was using where different.I was working with other guys staff so a first i didnt chek the impedance of the tops.

can anyone give me a hint of what could happened.:mad:

• Members

If you had a 4 ohm cabinet and an 8 ohm cabinet, the amplifier may have not liked the load. A 4 ohm and 8 ohm cabinet would have made a 2.667 ohm load. If the lowest load the amplifier would drive is 4 ohms, it would not have liked the combined load. The load would have drawn more current than the amplifier was rated for, and hopefully protection circuitry turned off the amp to prevent damage.

Have you tried the amplifier since then? Try it with a single 8 ohm speaker and see if it works.

Were you running the amplifier in bridged mono? If you were, than any load below 4 ohms would draw more current than the amplifier would want to source.

Stv

• Members

I had an amp that had thermal problems.

It sounded fine, but randomly it would stop making sound. It would be on, the fan would be running, and after a while, it would come back in. If I pointed a big fan at it, it would work longer.

Stv

• Members

that night i was using an american pro power amp that works 250w each channel on 8 ohms, and 400w at 4 ohms.

I hook up the two tops in parallel (i think the brand was oversound) the only thing i knew was that the night after the show, i asked the guy how owns the tops if they were differente brand, he told me that he bought one cab one year, and the next year another :eek:.

i told he that sell them and buy some of the same brand at lest.

• Members
Originally posted by atomico

that night i was using an american pro power amp that works 250w each channel on 8 ohms, and 400w at 4 ohms.

I hook up the two tops in parallel (i think the brand was oversound) the only thing i knew was that the night after the show, i asked the guy how owns the tops if they were differente brand, he told me that he bought one cab one year, and the next year another
:eek:

i told he that sell them and buy some of the same brand at lest.

Well, if 4 ohms stereo is the amp's minimum recommended impedance, are you surprised that it kept shutting down with a lower impedance yet?

• Members

Do you know what type of tweeter the speakers had? Piezo elements are capacitive and some amplifiers do not work well into capacitive loads. If a Piezo is not buffered with a resistor, and if the amplifier tries to drive a high frequency signal though the speaker cabinet, the piezo element can act as a short at high frequencies.

Archived