Monitor Questions

• Members

On Friday night we used our new SRX715's which sounded incredible, loud and clear.

However our stage volume was for the first time way to loud. This was the first gig where I used a POD for my guitar which was direct to the PA then monitored through our wedges. Wedges are older PV SP115M's (black widow, biampable) that we power with a PV2600 for 1 monitor mix per side.

We had a volume chasing thing going on, bump the guitar up in the monitor I share with the singer who bumps the vocal up, yadda yadda yadda. Which caused big stage volume issues. Also this was the first time we used 2 monitor mixes as we normally run monitors off 1 side of the amp and mains off the other. So essentially we doubled the wattage of our monitor mix, ran the attenuators on the PV2600 at about 10 oclock.

Couple of scenarios - get 2 more monitors (which ones, got an extra Carvin DCM2000 that is not in use), get myself an IEM or other

Any help would be appreciated.

• Members

This doesn't seem like a difficult problem to solve. May not be cheap, but it isn't tough.

Option 1. Separate mixes for you and the singer.

Option 2. Buy a keyboard amp or powered speaker for your POD. Use it like you would a traditional guitar amp.

Option 3. Keep yourself way down in the mix. The singer is more important than you are.

• Members

We never had the problem when I used my traditional guitar amp so I may just go back to that but it sure is nice only carrying the pod.

The only reason to add more monitors is to create another monitor mix which means we won't be competing for space on the same monitor.

• Members

Originally posted by ned911

We never had the problem when I used my traditional guitar amp so I may just go back to that but it sure is nice only carrying the pod.

The only reason to add more monitors is to create another monitor mix which means we won't be competing for space on the same monitor.

If the singer and the guitar player are sharing a monitor...it's likely neither of you will be happy. If you have to add another monitor and another mix, you might as well carry your guitar amp and feed it with the POD (or ditch the POD).

• Members
Originally posted by ned911

I was a little hasty. It makes more sense now. I think the main problem may be that lack of separation that was so easy to achieve when using your amp as a personal onstage monitor. In this case, maybe a separate mix would help the situation.

Archived