15" Subwoofer speakers vs 15" 2-ways

• Members

Was the biggest differences in the 15" speakers you'd find in a sub vs those in a standard 2-way on a stick? Magnets? Cone? Always wondered...

I keep hearing bands try to mic their kick drums when they're only flying a pair of cabs...at best, a pleasant popping sound. At worst...well, you've heard that.

• Members
Originally posted by pktaskes

Was the biggest differences in the 15" speakers you'd find in a sub vs those in a standard 2-way on a stick? Magnets? Cone? Always wondered...

I keep hearing bands try to mic their kick drums when they're only flying a pair of cabs...at best, a pleasant popping sound. At worst...well, you've heard that.

Depends on the brand/model. At the lower end, they may be the same or similar drivers with perhaps the f3 tuned a little lower in the subwoofer box. Once you start spending more $$$$ the drivers will get more specific.

• Members

Often, the drivers will be quite similar (though not always) but the box will usually be larger allowing for different (better) tunings to be accomplished.

In the more expensive speakers (sometimes) you may find more heavy duty components, longer VC winding heights, larger diameter VC's, heavier cone, spider, and M-roll surrounds (to increase linear cone motion).

• Members

Originally posted by pktaskes

you can get a decent kick out of a pair of good cabs on stands. Like always it depends on a lot of things; the kick, the mic, the input settings, compression, EQ, expected level. The usual stuff in other words.

• Members

I know my mains boxes and subwoofers are exactly the same speakers, sound completely different (front loaded and folded horn).

I know I'm on the cheaper end, but I've had these going pretty regularly for years now without problems.

Archived