Chance to get some very special gear

• Members

Hello gang, I typically hang out on the acoustic forum, but need some help. My brother and I have come into a situation where we have the chance to gain a very nice set of live sound gear. Now the unfortunate part. The gear is from the husband of one of our very close family friends who passed away last year. She had been a touring gospel pianist/vocalist for over 25 years, and now her husband has her gear sitting around and want it to get some good use and has approached my brother and I to make him a deal, as it is good stuff, and has meaning we are wanting to be as educated as possible. So i have started some searching to find new and used prices, but some of the gear is older but in dead mint condition and so I am having trouble tracking it down. here is the list:

2 Bose 802 series II speakers

2 speaker stands

1 Peavey XR600C powered mixer

4 Peavey PVM48 condensor mics

2 Boom mic stands

1 gooseneck stand for amp micing

JVC dual tape deck recorder

Any thoughts on how to develp a fair offer and where to gain some of this information other than e-bay and the current going prices for the gear or equivalent new? also remember its not that we want the best gear availble or even need this stuff right now, but she was very influential in my brother and I and our musical development and if we could keep her gear and keep the loving care of it we woudl love to!! thanks!

• Members

Pretty average gear from 20 years ago. Be sure the speakers haven't deteriorated. Check the foam surrounds of the 5" speakers in the 802's... if they are deteriorated the speakers are pretty much worthless. Otherwise maybe worth $400 for the pair but you will want to be sure you get the little eq box that comes with them and insert that between the pre out and poweer amp in of the powered mixer.

All in all, if everything is working and in good shape, maybe $500-600.

• Members

IMHO $500-600 is pretty generous. If the Bose are 20 years old the speaker surrounds will be rotted away for starters, typical of that model. Nothing in that list is what would be IMHO considered at all good gear. While I appreciate the centimental value, if you get a $500 offer for it, take it and put it towards a more lasting memory of your loved one. My sympathies for your loss, and I indend absolutely no disrespect for your lost loved one whatsoever.

• Members

Hey flanc,

That prepal site is great and I still use it to this day, but it should be noted that it was last updated in Dec. of 2004. *Some assembly required*

Where,

I'm sure you didn't mean it the way it sounded, but I see only 2 things on that list that I would classify as not good equipment. I mean the Bose and the JVC are really dated, but how bad can stands be? And you could probably agree that an old XR600C is about as sturdy and basic as workin' man's weekend gear could be. I had one that fell out the back of my overloaded pickup 5 times on the way to the gig and after I shoved the guts back in her, she worked like a charm. OK, I'm kidding, that never happened. :D I'm rambling and failing to make any point....so....Goodnight!

Archived