Yamaha MG16/6 Clipping

• Members

Here is a question I thought I would see if anyone could answer. I have a Yamaha MG16/6 mixer and when I feed and standard consumer cd player (it's a shelf style 61 disk player) into my RCA inputs (Ive tried the inputs and the stereo channels and the 2TR input) the signal always seems to be right under clipping according to my onboard meters. THere are no gain controls on these channels. The RCA inputs are -10db so they should be the right ones for consumer gear. I have to pull all the strip eq's all the way down to -15db and even then the signal is still just under clipping monitoring it with the PFL. I am I doing something wrong? SHouldn't the signal ideally be right around 0DB on the meter if I am going to be able to set my gain structure right? ANy help would be appreciated!

• Members

Actually, the -10dbu may not be such a good input. The average CD player nowadays delivers almost +4dBu!!!

Best thing to do is to try one of the 1/4" inputs (using a suitable adapter) and then using the input gain trim to reduce the level. The 1/4" channel inputs (line not instrument) are good for +4dBu.

The other alternative is to use an external signal pad to reduce the level to -10dBu. This is not difficult but requires some soldering skills.

• Members

Originally posted by tmetal

Here is a question I thought I would see if anyone could answer. I have a Yamaha MG16/6 mixer and when I feed and standard consumer cd player (it's a shelf style 61 disk player) into my RCA inputs (Ive tried the inputs and the stereo channels and the 2TR input) the signal always seems to be right under clipping according to my onboard meters. THere are no gain controls on these channels. The RCA inputs are -10db so they should be the right ones for consumer gear. I have to pull all the strip eq's all the way down to -15db and even then the signal is still just under clipping monitoring it with the PFL. I am I doing something wrong? SHouldn't the signal ideally be right around 0DB on the meter if I am going to be able to set my gain structure right? ANy help would be appreciated!

I've noticed the same with my MG12. The channels that don't have the gain controls are best used with very low output devices - such as portable CD players. I use these channels to plug my portable minidisc players and they are just perfect. When I plug these portables in the other channels, I have to put up the gain almost to the max position to get sufficient output. The first time I plugged one of my Sony full size (consumer) CD players in these channels, I was like WTF! Why the hell are these channels so damn loud. Then I noticed there was no gain control. How much would it really have cost them to put gain knobs (and clip lights) on these last 2 stereo channels..... :confused:

Archived