Audio Technica vs Audix Mic

• Members

Hello Group, I am very new to all this and started singing in a local cover band. I was recently given two microphones to play with; one A/T 610 and an Audix OM-3. Both are hypercardioid.

I was told the A/T is a "better" mic, but I must admit, the OM-3 sounds a bit better, all EQ aside. Since I am new, what do I look for in a mic, what makes one "better" than another? Again, out of the box, the Audix seemed a bit clearer and more representative of my voice, but what other considerations should be taken? Anyone out there have a preference with these brand names? Thanks in advance.

• Members

As a singer in a band picking a mic for yourself...you've done most of the work. You auditioned the mic for yourself on your gear! Short of that, you've got to make sure it has acceptable gain before feedback and off-axis rejection (of other stage sound) and that's about it.

If you were a sound company, you would probably concern yourself with mic reputation and rider acceptability. Since that doesn't seem to be the case....use what you like and has proven to sound good on your voice.

• Members

Flanc, thanks so much for the response. I guess you're right. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what is meant by off-axis rejection? ALso, what are the differences between hypercardioid, supercardioid, etc. What are advantages of each? Thanks in advance!!!

• Members

Originally posted by markie811

Flanc, thanks so much for the response. I guess you're right. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what is meant by off-axis rejection? ALso, what are the differences between hypercardioid, supercardioid, etc. What are advantages of each? Thanks in advance!!!

This link shows you the differant polar patterns for microphones as a visual.

http://www.crownaudio.com/mic_web/tips/mictip2.htm

Cardiod mic's pickup sound from a wider pattern in front of the mic than do hyper/super cardiod. So, if you are a singer that can keep the mic in front of your mouth (within a sweet spot), you'll be better served by a mic with a tighter pattern (hyper/super cardiod). This also speaks to off-axis rejection. On a loud stage, you want the mic to reinforce your vocal and not necessarily the drummers symbols or the guitar amp off to your side.

• Members

Flanc is right.If you like it for your voice then use it.Since you are new to it you'll probably find another one you like even better so you can buy,sell,trade or whatever you want to do.There are a lot of good discussions on this forum,possibly even arguments,over which ones are better.Hope you have fun learning more.

• Members

Thanks for all the great replies guys, much appreciated. The mics Im trying have slightly different sensitivities (measures in mV) and the EQ range is also slightly different, on the high end. Can you tell me what this means?????

For instance, ATM610 Freq Response = 40-16000 HZ

Sensitivity 1.7 mV

Impedance = 300 OHMS

For OM-3....

Frequency Response = 50 - 18000 HZ

Sensitivity = 2.3 mV

Impedance = 250 OHMS

Help me understand these data. Perhaps the differences explain my I perceive better sound with the Audix product?? Thanks in advance.

Mark

• Members

Neither are important for your application. Sensitivity specs. are used for matching gains with preamps (not an issue since all consoles will have adequate gain range adjustment) and the high frequency response number may vary a lot depending on the measurement method used.

Archived