Monitors?

• Members

Originally posted by BigMac5

Currently we are running vocals, drums, and sometimes guitars, on the PA. What do you guys put in your monitors besides vocals?

We mic everything through the mains.

Montitors mostly have vocals, acoustic guitar and keys. Depending on the stage, we usually put a little electric guitar in the drummer's monitor too.

• Members

Originally posted by BigMac5

Currently we are running vocals, drums, and sometimes guitars, on the PA. What do you guys put in your monitors besides vocals?

whatever we need :)

mostly thats vocals, saxophone and sometimes a touch of upright bass

i think we're one of the last ones to still use an upright

• Members

Everything into the PA, then the soundgal (in our case) can pick & choose and blend.

Monitors. We run two mixes. One for the drummer (me) with everything BUT drums in it intially. Items will be cut from that after soundcheck if I can hear it well direct.. On big stages the bassist gets a piggyback from the drum monitor. The front line monitor mix is mostly just vocals and acoustic guitar, that's all they need since they are in front of the stage amps. For clarity, on stage and out front, the less you have in the monitors, the better the sound. And for the vocal monitor front mix, we can cut everything 100Hz and below to cut the stage mud.

boomerweps

• Members

Originally posted by boomerweps

Humorous...

But you'd be buying a monitor that night from me ;>(

Monitor sign:

"NO FEET, NO LIQUIDS".

boomerweps

Axisplayer knows!

He is more soundguy than muso. I think he was commenting on what his bands do to his monitors.

:D

• Members

What ever the customer wants or needs goes in the monitor. Some of my customers want just vocals others, want just vocal, kick and bass. Others want everything in the mix. These are usally the inexperanced bands. As a sidenote, some of the better blues artist I work with don't really even want monitors, as long as they can hear the mains. I guess what it boils down to is everyone has differn't needs. Take Care, John

• Members

Originally posted by Axisplayer

Generally beer...

:freak: I had a monitor that drank an entire bottle of beer on me last winter. Someone in the crowd bought me a beer and set it on the stage, which was too small to fit the monitors and not even a foot high, so the monitors were on the floor in front. The next time I looked over the bottle was upside down leaning against the monitor grill. Yep - full bottle, now empty. There was not a drop of beer around it on the floor; the entire contents stayed inside the monitor, which we drained after the show.

It still works fine - Peavey's older than I am.

Back to the question; I run vocals, rhythm, and some lead guitar through ours.

• Members

Vox, all we need for smaller stages, the guitar player does like a little keyboard in his monitor mix....

Bigger stages need bigger monitors and more of the other players in the mix (we don't bring bigger amps to bigger gigs, just use the same ones we use for bar gigs, and make sure that each member can hear the others, whether that is from the monitors or the stage volume...)

• Members

Originally posted by gadgetx23

:freak:
I had a monitor that drank an entire bottle of beer on me last winter. Someone in the crowd bought me a beer and set it on the stage, which was too small to fit the monitors and not even a foot high, so the monitors were on the floor in front. The next time I looked over the bottle was upside down leaning against the monitor grill. Yep - full bottle, now empty. There was not a drop of beer around it on the floor; the entire contents stayed inside the monitor, which we drained after the show.

It still works fine - Peavey's older than I am.

Back to the question; I run vocals, rhythm, and some lead guitar through ours.

Hahahaha no kidding.....

I have a couple of Peavey 112ti's still to this day with the original components. The horns quit on me a few times during shows. I dumped the beer from the monitors, dried them out, and they keep on going to this day.

I use my old CS800 amps and 112ti's for my basement practice rig still to this day.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

newbie question.......i have a mixer that goes out to 2 speakers....if i buy a monitor how do i control what comes out of the monitor?....if everything is plugged into the mixer....another words how do i prevent everything from coming out of the monitor like people above are talking about.?

• Members

newbie question.......i have a mixer that goes out to 2 speakers....if i buy a monitor how do i control what comes out of the monitor?....if everything is plugged into the mixer....another words how do i prevent everything from coming out of the monitor like people above are talking about.?

Almost all but the cheapest mixers will have separate level controls and outputs for the monitors. Better mixers will have multiple monitor mixes available.

• CMS Author

Each mixer channel will have a control or controls that are labeled "aux" or "mon". Of the ones labeled "aux", you need to check and find out if they are "pre-fader" or "post-fader", meaning whether the tap the signal before or after the channel's fader control. For monitors, you want "pre-fader", so that if you raise the channel's level, like for a solo, you won't change the monitor levels.

To create the monitor mix, simply use only the channel aux sends for the instruments or vox you want in the mix.

In the mixer's master section there will be a main aux send or level, which controls the overall level that goes to your EQ and amps.

Edited: to fix dumb pre/post dislexia...

• Members

For myself...enough of my own vocals so that it blows my hair back.....when we get a guest singer in front of my monitor it often makes them cringe it's so loud.

I know that's not good but it's what I've grown accustomed to. Everyone else seems to want vocals and a small bit of guitar.

• Members

Hmm... kinda old thread, no?

I don't know why but I like my monitors sterility-inducing loud. Seriously, other people get behind the kit (drummer, obviously) and can't stand it. We do have people sit in on drums for a couple songs during the show so I keep the poweramp right between the monitor cabinets so they can turn 'em down. I'm running an Avatar 2x10 and a Meyer USW-1 2x15, biamped and being pushed by a Yamaha CP2000. In the mix I've got a stupid loud kick drum, and every instrument and vocal mic on the stage; it's more fun for me if it sounds like I'm sitting out front, but with a ton of kick in the sound. I guess it's a unique approach because I never hear about people doing it.

It's also nice because if we play a smaller show, the kick in my drum monitor is enough to push the entire room, and for larger ones it means we don't have to run any low frequencies through the rest of the stage monitors.

• Members

BEer in MonitorS. of course.. happens all the times,

but holy cow some of you people put eveything in the monitors wow!! 2 way spkrs "monitors" handle 70 hz and above.. at most 70 hz I would say!!!! becarefull what kind of signal you send into them! {kick drums and bass}

• Members

BEer in MonitorS. of course.. happens all the times,

but holy cow some of you people put eveything in the monitors wow!! 2 way spkrs "monitors" handle 70 hz and above.. at most 70 hz I would say!!!! becarefull what kind of signal you send into them! {kick drums and bass}

Bah... No 70 Hz limitation for me! 40-100 Hz @ -4dB, 135dB, and that's not including the mid/high box!

27429__MEY_usw-1p.jpg

One of these days I need to get a picture of my monitor rig set up next to the drums... it's almost as tall as I am. Ridiculousness.

• Members

We run mostly vocals in the monitors. Some bands like a bit of bass in the drummers send and a bit of kick in the bassists monitor. Helps them stay tighter. In a one-guitar band, some times we'll put a bit of guitar in the monitors. Alot depends on the room and how well the band can hear the FOH.

Joel

• Members

Each mixer channel will have a control or controls that are labeled "aux" or "mon". Of the ones labeled "aux", you need to check and find out if they are "pre-fader" or "post-fader", meaning whether the tap the signal before or after the channel's fader control. For monitors, you want "post-fader", so that if you raise the channel's level, like for a solo, you won't change the monitor levels.

To create the monitor mix, simply use only the channel aux sends for the instruments or vox you want in the mix.

In the mixer's master section there will be a main aux send or level, which controls the overall level that goes to your EQ and amps.

Craigv Don't you mean pre-fade not post-fade for mon.

Archived