Yorkville

• Members

Has anyone tried these? I'm looking for a set or tops to go with a new pair of UCS1 Unity subs I'm getting, and I'm thinking these may be decent. Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

How about the U15s which I believe were designed to work with the USC1s? I have tried the E210s on a few occasions, and though I did like them, something annoyed me about their sound. They can get very loud and are light and compact (they may look a little funny combined with those huge USC1s) but I'm not sure you'd be impressed with their sound. I'm not sure if it's the HF driver or the double 10s.... I prefer the sound of the NX cabs - NX35 and NX600. Smoother top end IMO (though they may not throw as well). If you can listen to a few different spekers yourself, that would probably be the best thing. You might need something with a beefier horn to keep up with the output of a pair of USC1s however... Maybe Elite E152s? I'm sure others will have some good suggestions. Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

The U15's and E152's are quite a bit out of my budget, or I'd be all over them. What can you get the NX cabinets for?

You can get two pairs of NX35s for a few hundred dollars more than one pair of E210s.... I was under the impression that if you could afford a pair of USC1s, the U15 were maybe not out of your budget. Is there a reason for the USC1s? Why not a more compact (and less expensive) sub like the Elite LS608s if you wanted to pair them with something like a E210?

• Members

I have tried the E210s on a few occasions, and though I did like them, something annoyed me about their sound. They can get very loud and are light and compact (they may look a little funny combined with those huge USC1s) but I'm not sure you'd be impressed with their sound. I'm not sure if it's the HF driver or the double 10s....

When you tried them did you use the Yorkville processor? There are a couple of steep parametric filters they apply to those cabs. Download the processor manual and look at the curves.

I have a pair here at the shop that I've listened to a bit and I'm pretty impressed with them.

• Members

I was looking for a pair of Subs. Everyone here went nuts over the Yorkville stuff. It was a hard choice between the UCS1 and the LS808. Both were the same price, and to tell you the truth it came down to a coin flip and the opinions of several members of the Prosoundweb forum. I was hoping to get a set of EF508's very reasonable, but got sniped at the last1/2 second on Ebay. I wish I had seen the pair of U15's with the PLX that were posted on the live sound classifieds here. 1200 for all of it was a great deal.

• Members

I talked my guitarist into getting the U15Bs when they came out, he was insisting buying some 3 way cabs. 6 months later I got a great demo deal on some LS808Bs from Jeff. I was so impressed with the Yorkville products AND intregued by the 210 format that I bought a pair with some inheritance $ a year later.

So...

We love the U15s, use them over the subs normally but occassionally for SOS gigs. Great vocals & acoustic guitar through them (what I hear when NOT behind the drums). After I got the subs, I got a dbx DRPA to use as a speaker controller. I have it programmed as close as I can to the Yorkville fatory controller and it's programmed for several different pairs of tops, with & without subs. Since I don't own the U15s I didn't go the factory controller route.

The USC1s were designed/sized to go with the U15s, Al, not the other way round ;>) I wish they had been out before I got the LS808s, mostly so they would work better with the U15 without using shorty poles AND for less trailer floor space AND to get through the skinny doors we run into a lot. The LS808 subs do sound great.

The E210s. I have some Yamaha SM12IVs so getting the E12 (or whatever number) was a likely improvement, but it wasn't worth the $ to me. The E210s were a neat design. They have a rotatable 60x40 horn, too. I use them for the front line monitor mix, Good vocals and acoustic guitar through them live. I also used them for a couple SOS gigs and occassional DJing (formerly used the SM12IVs for that). For both they need extra LF on the EQ. For the SOS gigs, I use a DRPA with the Yorkie 210 controller settings copied into it, it STILL needs more LF. I thought the extra 10 would make for better LF response on it's own but it doesn't. Repeating myself, they are really clear (to me) in the vocal range. I like them, don't regret their purchase, but for the $, I should have got a couple of the powered NX55Ps. I paid a little over $1200 for the pair of E210Bs shipped. The B black epoxy paint option is near $100 per Yorkville speaker and we got that on all of the Yorkies.

Boomerweps

• Members
When you tried them did you use the Yorkville processor? There are a couple of steep parametric filters they apply to those cabs. Download the processor manual and look at the curves.

I have a pair here at the shop that I've listened to a bit and I'm pretty impressed with them.[/quote

No, I didn`t have the processor in the signal chain. I had simply rented the speakers because I was curious if their purchase price was justified. I imagine they would have sounded better with the processor`s pre-eq`d tone applied. I liked the fact that they were 4 ohms and so compact...

• Members

I like them, don't regret their purchase, but for the $, I should have got a couple of the powered NX55Ps.

Boomerweps

I had the same decision to make. I was going to buy a pair of E210s to go with one LS700P. It was actually my wife that made me cancel the order and spend the extra 400$ for a pair of powered NX55Ps. I didn't realize the small price difference between a pair of E210s and a pair of NX55Ps. The E210 are a little overpriced IMO for what they are. I think I just really liked the cool/compact design. I'm lucky my wife did the quick thinking for me...

What I would like to see in the NX line is a powered double 12'' cab under 70lbs one could use as a one box solution for smaller gigs. :idea:

Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Just a followup on an old thread:

I set up a speaking only PA for a VA satellite clinic grand opening in our home town, gratis because our VETS Funeral Honor Guard (of which I am a member) was doing the flag raising. I used a single wired mic on a stand (with wireless also provided but unused) into a behringer UB802 (2 mic input mixer), PLX1804 and the Yorkville E210Bs on stands near the entrance in the parking lot facing a major highway. As I mentioned in earlier posts, the vocal range is the E210's forte. I ran the system pretty low on the dials and it provided excellent coverage and SPL enough to overcome traffic without blasting away the 100-150 attending.

I WANTED to use my Yamaha SM12IVs (lighter & smaller) but was concerned about the power handling. Still, the E210s are not bad for an old guy putting them up on stands.

boomerweps

• Members

Okay, I'll add to the dead thread. I was planning an install for a school that had pretty severe acoustical issues. (and no budget to address them using acoustical treatment). Speech intelligibility was very bad. I finally tried a pair of E210's and came out of it a hero. Used them on another school, same result. Great speech cabs., with nice "throw".

• Members

I did a "4th of July" gig yesterday, the 1st of July, from 2-4 PM at the local state funny farm. Always an appreciative audience, low pressure, great place to try or just jam on out on new songs. Was supposed to be outdoors on a flatbed trailer, rained so indoors in the gym. With a day's notice, switched from our full PA to using the E210s on stands. The lack of bottom end (I'd say 160Hz and below) actually helps clarity in this gym. BONUS: regularly a 4pc band, one member couldn't get off work so a three way pay split ;>)

Boomerweps

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Yorkville e210's are the loudest speakers i have ever heard but careful tunning !!!!!!!MUST!!!!!!! be done because the small units can cause hearing problems.

they work very well with tight subs that can hit above the 125hz range.

the two 10" drivers are very good with vocals and handle small amounts punch ,

the good thing is that it's very hard to get the system to the max volume because people are begging you to turn it down.

These are very good cabs and are very impressive performance, but i advise that only true pro's try to use them, they need true EQ's and proper sub tunings.

• Members

Can someone loan me some the Zombie repellant?

I don't know if your reply was toward me..

But I was only speaking of my experience with these small speakers, and I might add that they are better than carrying around my Eaw 850's or using my

Jbl stackable pro rig.

these are great for small to medium events IF TUNED PROPERLY... I have 10 of them and they are powered by Ma 3600vz or crown K2 it depends on how much headroom I need......

and if you look around you will notice that all sound companies are shopping for very small rigs and storing the large cabinets....

My next speaker system to test is the K-Array systems.

• Members

FWIW, I thought the thread revival was very interesting. :thu: Kinda broadens the perspective a bit... especially when folks seem to ignore some great already existing products, in favor of "what's new". Call me a cynic, but for me, a lot of the "latest and greatest" products, are more about marketing BS than actual performance increases.(weight issues aside)

• Members

they are the loudest speakers i have ever heard......

I have never been able to push them because they can scream, but if you tune them in they sound great..... And when they are being used as a monitor.....

LOL you will never hear turn it up again.... they even blow away the EAW's on monitors..... when being pushed they don't go into power compression and I have to back the vocals FREQUENCY off BIG TIME.

Like i said i have never been able to drive them....I have done events with 2000 people with 4 of them and 2 jbl subs and it has had my mouth open.

I tested them also against the dual 12 JBl srx and the e210's are more aggressive on the vocal end but the JBL's where smoother.

the JBL's did not need much tuning and the Yorkies needed tuning to pull down and control vocals, I could get the JBL's into soft clip but the Yorkies we could not..... I have them clustered like a line array because they have plenty fly points and sometimes i use them for monitors.

• Members

They are best used with subs is all I can say and with EQ or/and the processor (yet more $$$). At their 1700$ a pair price (here anyway) I was hoping for a full range single cabinet solution for my DJ gigs. I did not like them, especially considering the price. The rear porting is useless since the speakers need to be near a wall or corner to produce any bass.

Handling 100hz and up, I can imagine they would be great on vocals, but as full range cabs not so good.(unless near a wall or corner) I didn't love the sound of the horn either. They were OK, but I prefer the sweeter sound of the NX horns and even more the ones on my RCF Art 310As. I play mostly pre-recorded music though, so for live they are probably better.

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

I'm curious about the Yorkville processors for the Elite Series speakers. What kind of $$$ are we talking about here, and what exactly do they do? Are they specifically designed to work with one model of speaker, or do they have various settings to work with other speakers? I don't recall ever reading any detailed info on those processors.

• Members

Has anyone tried these? I'm looking for a set or tops to go with a new pair of UCS1 Unity subs I'm getting, and I'm thinking these may be decent. Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Zombie status notwithstanding.....I've installed/placed these speakers in two elementary schools, one of them my wife's.

As noted, you would either need to use the processor or EQ the strangeness out of them (I did the latter).

They throw really well and are fantastic for spoken word.

I have also used them for singles and light pop band duty. Vocals are their strong point but I don't know if they could be called a live band speaker.

BTW they have no natural bottom end and must have a heavy bottom curve added OR better yet, be used with subs.

Although I really like these speakers I would suggest the U15's - or at least I would have back in '07 if I had benn around:)

Archived