JBL power ratings

• Members

Looking at the new JBL MRX (and all the JBL specs on their website) they list 3 wattages. 400 W / 800 W / 1600 W for the MRX515. I'm used to seeing RMS and Peak. What is the third measurement? I know you need to size power amps for double the RMS but in this case I'm not sure which is the RMS value. Please help figuring out what each of these 3 values are.

Thanks.

• Members

Looking at the new JBL MRX (and all the JBL specs on their website) they list 3 wattages. 400 W / 800 W / 1600 W for the MRX515. I'm used to seeing RMS and Peak. What is the third measurement? I know you need to size power amps for double the RMS but in this case I'm not sure which is the RMS value. Please help figuring out what each of these 3 values are.

Thanks.

Yes, you absolutely MUST double your speaker's RMS or your speakers won't emit any sound.

• Members

So... for the benefit of the masses, would a PLX1104 (325 watts @ 8 Ohms) or the PLX1804 (600 watts @ 8 Ohms) be a better choice for your average pub rock band running sound from the stage? I've been looking at the MRX512M which have the same rating as the 515.

The second amp will get you about 2db more of clean volume at the risk of taxing the speaker more. Is it worth it? What subs do these cabs have to keep up with?

• Members

The second amp will get you about 2db more of clean volume at the risk of taxing the speaker more. Is it worth it? What subs do these cabs have to keep up with?

One MRX518 per side if we buy it, or an SRX718 per side if we rent it. We'd be renting for a while, and the 512s would be mains or mons depending on the venue and how quickly we get our IEM system together.

• Members

I also saw on the JBL website:

continuous/program/peak.

I gues my question is which of these is the RMS rating? I am not used to seeing continuous and program. And I know that doubling RMS is not manditory but a guideline of where you should try to be to be safely powering your speakers.

Thanks again for all the replies.

• Members

I also saw on the JBL website:

continuous/program/peak.

I gues my question is which of these is the RMS rating? I am not used to seeing continuous and program. And I know that doubling RMS is not manditory but a guideline of where you should try to be to be safely powering your speakers.

Thanks again for all the replies.

RMS is always the lowest number, the most conservative one, and ultimately, the safest one. Al

• 1 month later...

Archived