Vocalist Live hot damn!

• Members

Operative phrase being "If this thing works". ;)

Actually it looks pretty cool feature wise. Guitar in with mini mixer and effects for the guitar. Would be pretty nice for a solo acoustic act - maybe eliminate the need for a mixer and go straight to a couple powered monitors.

• Members

Perhaps for acoustic but there is no modeling on board AFAICT.

I have owned three Digitech and three TC Electrionics harmonizers and they have all worked as expected if not as advertised, however MIDI data in for chord recognition is a far sight easier than analog audio in for chord analysis, something that (as far as I know) even software to date cannot do accurately, hell even many people

• Members

I have never used automatic feedback killers sorry to say, which one did you use and what problems did you encounter?

Remember if you want to increase gain you may have to deal with decreased intelligibility, and further unless you have a really good monitoring system and really good mics and people that know how to use all the gear, no external device is going to make everything OK.

Many people buy feedback controllers and expect that somehow it will be a magic bullet for an inadequate monitoring system and a lack of understanding of the problems.

• Members

Getting back to the Vocalist Live; it has absolutely no MIDI implementation at all,that is one big mistake given that all other vocal hamonizers do, even all the prior Digitech units and as such all the cool MIDI functionality which would have cost almost nothing to have enabled in the Vocalist Live in sorely lacking. I don

• Members

I have just emailed Digitech the following:

I own a lot of Digitech gear and to a one they are all fine units, thus I am not one to rain on Digitech, but leaving out MIDI on the new Vocalist Live makes little sense. Even my older Digitech Vocalist VR has reasonable MIDI implementation, and TC Electronics VoiceWorks supports MIDI decently.

Thus even if musIQ

• Members

And another question...

What happens when I want to stop strumming the guitar and do some acapella harmonies? I do this a lot right now with my Digitech Vocalist Performer and the crowd always gets off on it.

There's a thread in the NAMM forum where a digitech employee posted a response to just that question.

"The unit remembers the last chord in for it's harmony so you could hit a chord and stop playing and just sing away. The harmony's won't change until the next chord is played."

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1514107

I'm just impressed that the street price is only $399 for the deluxe version.

• Members
I could take the MIDI output from my quite accurate and reliable AX100SB and feed that to my VoiceWorks (in MIDI keyboard chord recognition mode) and get something that would perform better than the Vocalist Live 4 (theoretically should perform better due to hexaphonic processing versus monophonic processing). I think I'll email TC Electronics and ask what success anyone has had doing this..........hmmm

• Members

Hey guys,

There is no doubt you will like the quality of the sound of these boxes. The whole technology at this point works off of the vibration of the strings of the guitar. We are well aware this has no midi. This technology will be the platform for future products as well. There are always things that can be added onto products.

As for accappella, just use a volume pedal after the box and roll it back, change the chords with no sound coming through you guitar rig and sing away. The harmonies will change to your guitar chords. It also remembers the last chord played.

Like I said in a few other threads, I heard this box for four straight days. I never heard a wabble or weird harmony. You could slide into notes and the harmonies slide right along, you could get super quite and it still tracked flawlessly.

By the way My name is Doug and I'm the Western Sales Manager for DigiTech and Lexicon.

• Members

As a longtime Vocalist VR user, what I'll be looking for in the next generation is something a little more forgiving in level input. My VR has to receive a signal that's so narrow. Too hot and it distorts like crazy. Back it off too much and the thing doesn't trigger. And you have to be constantly careful about triggering false harmonies with your mic picking up stage noise.

Mine is always fed a direct out from my mic channel and then just the harmonies returned through another channel. The signal degradation would make it insane to plug your mic directly into it. Soloed the harmony parts sound pretty artificial, but live in the mix they're OK. If they come out with a rackmount MIDI version I'll take a listen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Here is the Vocalist Live demo in action!

http://www.digitech.com/Flash_Videos/Vocalist_Videosm.htm

I like it, but I am not convinced of some of the tail-end harmonies on some of the singers notes. It could be that the singer himself goes too flat

Also on the Dsus4 chords, and the D/F# chords, the harmony notes may be harmonically correct for the underlying chord, but they do not sound like they quite fit the context of the song. It could be improved perhaps by reducing the actual number of harmony notes generated.

• Members

Here is the Vocalist Live demo in action!

I like it, but I am not convinced of some of the tail-end harmonies on some of the singers notes. It could be that the singer himself goes too flat

Also on the Dsus4 chords, and the D/F# chords, the harmony notes may be harmonically correct for the underlying chord, but they do not sound like they quite fit the context of the song. It could be improved perhaps by reducing the actual number of harmony notes generated.

YUCK! - I didn't like it at all. Sounded like a warped record all the way through.

Archived