Anyone own the Carvin C1644P....?

• Members

Just trying to get some opinions on this rig. I've got one of the Yamaha console-type powered mixers. EMX5000-12 to be exact. Sooner or later I'm going to need more mic channels. I've been thinking about the EMX5000-20 which has 16 mic channels, but the Carvin has many more features. More busses, more power amps, and it sounds like a better effects section. But I don't know how it sounds or how reliable it is. Those are both key. My yamaha is super reliable, and sounds pretty damn good for an all-in-one unit.

The carvin is a little more money, but I would get a lot more flexibility out of it. So I'm hoping someone in here owns one and could tell me what they think.

• Members

My buddy Dale/s band, Somebody's Son now uses a c1644p. So far, a half dozen gigs with it, we're happy with it. I run their sound. At this time, it's enough for their needs, playing southern rock and blues. We generally run their large bottom loudspeakers and daisychain my pair of loudspeakers placed directly above the bottoms. They also run a pair of monitors, primarily so the drummer can hear.

Not a bad rig for the money. You do have to be sure you get one that doesn't have a blocked access to the loudspeaker connections. There was a problem with them being too low in the road case so you couldn't plug in the speaker leads. [rant]How in hell did they make it through QC/[/rant]

I would certainly suggest comparing to other units out there, not only spec sheets, but plugged in and fired up if you can.

• Members

Just trying to get some opinions on this rig. I've got one of the Yamaha console-type powered mixers. EMX5000-12 to be exact. Sooner or later I'm going to need more mic channels. I've been thinking about the EMX5000-20 which has 16 mic channels, but the Carvin has many more features. More busses, more power amps, and it sounds like a better effects section. But I don't know how it sounds or how reliable it is. Those are both key. My yamaha is super reliable, and sounds pretty damn good for an all-in-one unit.

The carvin is a little more money, but I would get a lot more flexibility out of it. So I'm hoping someone in here owns one and could tell me what they think.

Have you checked the Yamaha EMX5016?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-EMX5016CF-16-Input-Powered-Mixed-W-Dual-500-Watt-Power-Amp?sku=630607

I am about to buy one, to check it out I have 30 days to return it, so I'm giving it a try, I have my eyes on the A&H MixWiz3, but I don't have enough to buy a power amp to drive my Mackie C300's so I have to settle for the Yammie for a while, maybe, if i like it.

• Members

G has one. Check with him. Peavey also has/had a great one in that area.

I do. I like it a lot. Used one for 3 or 4 years. Many times in the outdoor Florida sun. The only trouble I ever had was a board came loose causing intermittent outages. It was an easy fix. I sold it, went to an A&H MixWiz then bought another Carvin. For quick setup and ease of use it's hard to beat. 16 channels, 4 monitor mixes and enough power with the right speakers to handle smaller clubs easily. Easy enough to add an external amp if you need more power.

• Members

I've got one of the Yamaha console-type powered mixers. EMX5000-12 to be exact.

The Yamaha EMX5016 is the replacement for the EMX5000-12 and has the same number of mono or mic channels, JUST EIGHT. The people I know (& respect) who have the 5000-12 AND that have checked out the 5016 have said they prefer the older model's signal routing. I forget the items removed right now.

I don't recall the exact number right now but Peavey used to make a 8012XR or XR1208 or numbered similarly that had 12 mic channels and the power amp was the same as a CS800S (or X). Killer self powered desk type mixer if you can find one.

Boomerweps

• Members

The Yamaha EMX5016 is the replacement for the EMX5000-12 and has the same number of mono or mic channels, JUST EIGHT. The people I know (& respect) who have the 5000-12 AND that have checked out the 5016 have said they prefer the older model's signal routing. I forget the items removed right now.

I don't recall the exact number right now but Peavey used to make a 8012XR or XR1208 or numbered similarly that had 12 mic channels and the power amp was the same as a CS800S (or X). Killer self powered desk type mixer if you can find one.

Boomerweps

emx5016cf_medium_jpg.jpg

Well it looks beautiful and it fit my needs :D

• Members

I am about to buy one, to check it out I have 30 days to return it, so I'm giving it a try, I have my eyes on the A&H MixWiz3, but I don't have enough to buy a power amp to drive my Mackie C300's so I have to settle for the Yammie for a while, maybe, if i like it.

You get a lot more from the Carvin.

16 real channels as opposed to 8

4 power amps vs. 2

4 monitor mixes vs 2

4 busses vs. 1

Feature-wise, they're not really even close.

• Members

I have a Carvin C1644P mixer. Nice unit.

Lots of features as GCDEF has mentioned.

Here is a link to some pics and comments.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1466086

P.S. Ignore tlbonehead, he really gets giddy over Carvin gear. He's such a

fanboy of the stuff (I think he just likes to play the devils advocate)...

• Members

P.S. Ignore tlbonehead, he really gets giddy over Carvin gear. He's such a

fanboy of the stuff (I think he just likes to play the devils advocate)...

He's been behaving himself in this thread. All he said was ask me.

The biggest complaint about it here is that it's small. Sound guys that are used to a big desk have trouble with it. I like the size myself. Less space to store and less room in the SUV on the way to gigs, but I can see their point that if you need to grab a knob in a hurry in the dark it can be a little difficult.

• Members

http://www.whirlwindusa.com/power01.html

The Medusa Power Series is designed specifically for use with mixing boards that incorporate built-in power amplifiers.

Each Power Medusa is constructed of a heavy-duty steel stage box with female XLR inputs, 1/4" TRS returns, and four 1/4" speaker jacks.

Whirlwind Power Series multipair cable is a cable within a cable - the outer layer contains audio pairs surrounding an inner core of 2 pairs of 14 ga. wire that has its own overall foil shield and jacket. Each of the two speaker lines is terminated with 2 paralleled 1/4" jacks on the box. A heavy-duty wire mesh strain relief secures the multipair cable to the box and a wire mesh hanger grip is provided at the fanout.

Available in 8x1, 12x4, and 16x0 input/return channel configurations and 50, 100, or 150 ft. lengths.

• Members

4 power amps vs. 2

4 monitor mixes vs 2

4 busses vs. 1

Yamaha:

Dual Effects VS Carvin?...............

8 compressors VS Carvin?

Feedback suppresor VS Carvin ....?

"Versatile 16-input configuration adapts to varied source requirements

The EMX5016CF has a total of 16 input channels eight for monaural microphone or line input plus four stereo pairs. The stereo channel pairs can function either as monaural microphone inputs or stereo line inputs. This system gives you extra microphone inputs if your sources are mostly microphones, or if you need to handle more stereo sources, the EMX5016CF will comfortably handle four pairs in addition to eight mono mic or line inputs."

ONe-knob compression on mono channels

The EMX5016CF features compressors on all monaural microphone/line channels that can help to make vocals ride the mix better, give you that smooth compressed guitar sound, deliver more punchy bass, and generally refine your mixes in a multitude of ways. These unique one-knob compressors are surprisingly simple to use. There are no multiple attack, threshold, makeup gain, and other controls just set the COMP control to the amount of compression you need.

9-band digital graphic EQ with presets & memory

This advanced digital 9-band stereo graphic equalizer goes way beyond conventional analog types with a refined control interface, instant-recall presets, and user memory locations. It also works with the console's innovative Frequency Response Correction system (see below) for unprecedented response-shaping control. Of course you can manually adjust each band as required from scratch, but you can also use one of the presets vocal, dance, or speech as a starting point and edit from there. You also have three user memories into which you can store your own EQ curves for instant recall whenever needed.

FRC (Frequency Response Correction) System

Setting a live sound system's output equalizer to optimally match room response is normally a complicated process requiring noise generators, calibrated microphones, real-time analyzers, and a great deal of time and experience. The EMX5016CF handles the entire process automatically, using either pink noise or a recorded music source you supply. To precisely match the system's response to the room you're in all you need to do is set up a microphone in an appropriate location, connect it to channel 1, and press the measure/correct button once to make the measurement, and then again to automatically set the graphic equalizer for optimized response. The EQ setting can then be stored in one of the user memories for later recall if needed.

Automatic Feedback Suppression

Although the graphic equalizer can be used for feedback control, the EMX5016CF provides a Feedback Suppressor system that is dedicated to the job. The Feedback Suppressor works by detecting feedback frequencies on the stereo bus and applying precise notch filters to eliminate the feedback. The Feedback Suppressor has an automatic mode that automatically keeps track of and attenuates feedback frequencies for you, and a sensitive manual mode that lets you pinpoint and attenuate feedback points one by one.

Multi-band "Maximizer"

The EMX5016CF "Maximizer" is an advanced 3-band compressor that can be applied to the stereo bus for a more punchy "up-front" overall sound. Simply press the maximize switch to instantly give the mix more presence and impact without sacrificing musical subtlety.

Dual Yamaha SPX effect processors

The EMX5016CF includes not one but two top-performance Yamaha SPX digital effect processors built in! You might only need ambience effects such as reverb and delay for live sound applications and the EMX5016CF includes some of the finest reverb and delay effects available but if you need other effects as well they're right at your fingertips, and you can use two different effects simultaneously. Each effect processor offers a selection of 16 top-quality effects including reverb, echo, chorus, flanger, phaser, and even distortion, with editable parameters that allow you to customize each effect.

bodysnatchers.jpg

• Members

ViLo, the OP asked specifically about the C1644P. Let's not get a shit storm going.

Comparing those two particular units is like comparing oranges to tangerines, they're both citrus like the Yamaha and the Carvin are both powered mixers.

I did not started anything ;)

GCDEF SAID:

4 power amps vs. 2

4 monitor mixes vs 2

4 busses vs. 1

I'm kidding Bro! :D:D I'm decided to have fun this year :D

Carry On! :love:

• Members

Personally I'd find the 8 extra mic channels, 2 extra power amps and 2 extra monitor mixes more useful than a "Multi-band Maximizer", but that's just me.

Well you like the orange, I like the tangerine, and we both are happy :thu: .

My apologies to you and the rest of the members if I offended anyone, you guys are great and I don't want to start anything nasty, it wa just my opinion based on what I like and need, and it's a Yamaha, which I have very good experience with.:love:

• Members

I looked at the Carvin and can't find a way to "insert" an EQ before the power amp sections. Right there is the reason not to use it. Can't say on the yamaha either but any kind of "less than 31 band" EQ is useless..

p

Each power amp has in input jack. Line out to eq to power amp in.

Archived