Silent band rehearsal solution?

• Members

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic but is it feasible to use an electronic drum kit and plug guitars and bass (using pods etc) into a desk or studio and basically rehearse as a band but everyone hears everything through headphones?

for the sole purpose of rehearsing silently of course.

Any one do this?

• Members

Seems kind of weird. Rehearsal's about communication. Wouldn't headphones make it hard to talk to each other unless everyone had a mic?

Yes, vocal mics would be needed. But wouldn't one want them for rehearsal anyway?

Just my $0.02

Joel

• Members

Yes, vocal mics would be needed. But wouldn't one want them for rehearsal anyway?

Just my $0.02

Joel

Only if everyone sings. As much talking and communicating as we usually do, headphones seem like they'd be a pain. With no directional cues, a lot of people trying to talk at once would be confusing - to me anyway.

• Members

When the need to communicate arises, everyone simply removes one ear.

However you really need to use a good limiter on each mix, and keep the levels down. It is very easy to do permanent damage using headphones alone.

I'd recommend a decent IEM sytem, specifially designed for this use. They have excellent quality audio, and built in brock wall protection to prevent any damage to your ears.

• Members

Hmmm.. I have done exactly this thing, and it works fine, and is a great idea in some ways. I have a few ideas I can share. One thing is that it is not that easy necesarily to get the sound you want or like on a keyboard, or a guitar for instance, running direct into the mixer, so in that case it might take a little work.

When I was doing it, we were playing live this same way... no amps on stage, everyone direct into the PA, and mixed out to FOH, and to Monitors, so for us practice was just another case of how we actually were going to be playing... If you are going to be playing live with amps and acoustic drums, then switching over to practice in this way will take some effort.

We found that with a few mics on for different vocalists and such in the practice room, we were actually able to hear each other for talking between songs or whatever, anyhow that part is easy, like some one said, just take an ear bud out if you have to.

With everything direct to the mixer, we never did have an instance of feedback, as with no monitors it is hard to establish a feedbakc loop, (although not impossible of course if there are FOH stacks)... but very difficult at practice where there were no loudspeakers... although later, we did start running one loudspeaker (although quietly) for others to listen to, so that they would be able to understand what the vocalists were singing about.... because until we did that what was actually heard "live" in the room, was just the vocalists, and some dude singing even with backing vocals, doesn't make very much sense to a casual listener, without atleast a little taste of what everyone else was doing (but as I say, this "monitor" was also kept quiet, as part of the purpose was to keep the noise down in town).

• Members

Thanks for all the replies.

It is either use headphones or go through small amps.

The main thing i was thinking was that acoustic drums are LOUD so everyone else has to be to keep up.

with electronic drums they can be set to a reasonable volume and so the whole sound doesn't need to be loud.

This may work better, harder to hide mistakes when everyone can hear each other.

I think i will give it a try.

Cost a little to set up but will save rehearsal room costs in the long run.

• Members

I know a band that does this, their pretty young kids but they do exactly what you mentioned. They got a set of Roland V's and 2 guitar POD's and a bass Pod and all them have mics and and headphones going through a mixer then to a Behringer headphone amp. I posted a question about wireless headphones because the cords were interfering with their stage move. Only reply I got was IEM but since mommy and daddy wasn't gonna foot the bill for a decent IEM system.They just bought cheap Walmart wireless headphones seems to be working from them. I'll probably help them out when they start gigging since their mom is a good friend of mine that used to play keyboards for us.

• Members

Don't worry about the volume. Use that great invention called the Volume Knob. :p

As for communication, using this setup cuts down on the mindless noodling when people should be paying attention. The headphones aren't the problem. At least with the mixer/desk that you have, you can press the MUTE button on the noodlers.

Keyboards, bass, and vocals instantly sound great. Electronic drums sound as good as the sound module allows (just like the keyboards).

Guitars sound every bit as good as an amplifier if you learn to use the modeler well (most guitarists don't want to learn things, though). The amp modelers are not difficult to learn.

• CMS Author

Guitars sound every bit as good as an amplifier if you learn to use the modeler well (most guitarists don't want to learn things, though). The amp modelers are not difficult to learn.

I've tried virtually every commonly available bass modeler on the market. I in fact own a GT-6B. In no way are any of them the same as an amp and speakers. This is not to say some of them aren't good. But nothing sounds like an Ampeg SVT except an Ampeg SVT, nothing sounds like a Marshall valave amp but a Marshall valve amp. To say modelers are every bit as good if only the guitard would learn is somewhat insulting and definitely inaccurate. Artists are fussy about their tone, and this should be respected as part of the process.

Having said that, I do feel that for rehearsal, good-enough should be good-enough. IMHO it's much more important that the band learn to play the song well together, and save tone issues for either a 'dress rehearsal' or for individual practice.

• Members

In no way are any of them the same as an amp and speakers... To say modelers are every bit as good if only the guitard would learn is somewhat insulting and definitely inaccurate.

IMHO

I never said they were the same. An Ampeg and a Marshall aren't the same, either. Modelers work very well and great tone has been achieved by many players. Many albums have been recorded using only modelers. They can be used with every bit as great a success as amplifiers.

Yes, many guitarists dismiss modelers out of hand. Go to the Amp or Guitar forums and find out.

IMHO is the operative phrase. It's subjective. Like everything is. But, the actual use of modelers is not subjective. They are being used by a lot of players who like them.

• CMS Author

I never said they were the same. An Ampeg and a Marshall aren't the same, either. Modelers work very well and great tone has been achieved by many players. Many albums have been recorded using only modelers. They can be used with every bit as great a success as amplifiers.

Yes, many guitarists dismiss modelers out of hand. Go to the Amp or Guitar forums and find out.

IMHO is the operative phrase. It's subjective. Like everything is. But, the actual use of modelers is not subjective. They are being used by a lot of players who like them.

"Every bit as good as" "The same". If there's a real difference, it's really one of semantics, and you're mincing words.

I never said or implied that modelers weren't good or that they weren't used successfully. My point was that you implied that guitarists were unwilling "to learn" and that if they did so, they would be rewarded with tone that's 'every bit as good' as the real thing. As a player, and as someone who's known many guitarists, this is a point many simply wont' agree with, in addition to being insulted by your ''learning'" comment.

• Members

My point was that you implied that guitarists were unwilling "to learn" and that if they did so, they would be rewarded with tone that's 'every bit as good' as the real thing. As a player, and as someone who's known many guitarists, this is a point many simply wont' agree with, in addition to being insulted by your ''learning'" comment.

Many guitarists aren't willing to learn. I know them and have met them. They post on this forum, too. Many aren't willing to learn. They've told me so. In person.

Other guitarists have used modelers for years with great success. Line 6, the POD makers, have been in business for over 10 years. It's not new at all. Our guitarist has been using Line 6 for 7 years (traditional amps for 28 years) and can get anything to sound great. He simply has experience and knows what he's doing.

raggydoll: Plug it all in and run with it. It will work.

• CMS Author

Many guitarists aren't willing to learn. I know them and have met them. They post on this forum, too. Many aren't willing to learn. They've told me so. In person.

Other guitarists have used modelers for years with great success. Line 6, the POD makers, have been in business for over 10 years. It's not new at all. Our guitarist has been using Line 6 for 7 years (traditional amps for 28 years) and can get anything to sound great. He simply has experience and knows what he's doing.

raggydoll: Plug it all in and run with it. It will work.

Everyone's got the right to play what they want. Modelers aren't for everyone, and it's not merely an issue of 'learning' them. You infer that anyone can get tone they'll like if they "learn". This isn't so (and from a usablity standpoint would point to a major failing in modelers...if I switch it to "Marshall stack" it should sound like one, period...I shouldn't have to dick with it to get something remotely close). There are nuances that, for example, tube amps and certain speakers create that simply can't be emulated with a modeler. Some guitarists want this. I personally have never heard anything that even remotely emulates my favorite tone, an SVT pushed hard into an 810e cabinet. No amount of learning will change this. There are emulations that for purposes of live shows are 'good enough', but that's a judgement call, and a player shouldn't be judged 'unwilling to learn' if he's not happy with the emulation. Perhaps better emulations will come. Until then, we do what we can, and what we like. Dif'rent folks, dif'rent strokes, and all....

Archived