yorkville NX 550P horn cutting out?

• Members

I have a Yorkville NX 550P cabinet, and the horn is cutting out intermittently. Takes about 10 minutes maybe, of low duty use, and then it cuts out for a few minutes, and then comes back on, and cycles through this. Any ideas?

• Members

i have two guesses. both are likely incorrect.

guess #1: bad connection. but based on the 10 minute interval i think this is wrong.

guess #2: there may be a circuit breaker inline with the horn to prevent overpowering the horn. this breaker may be malfunctioning.

• Members

Yes, did you check all the INTERNAL connections. Also check the HF horn protection circuit. I bought a used NX20 and it's light bulb "fuse" LOOKED intact but tested open. The replacement auto bulb is an extremely tight PITA fit. It's bottom contact is spring loaded so check that area. For similar odd problem reference, I also had an original series Peavey SP2 have it's spade connector female simply fall off the horn driver! Not bad since it was about 20 years old!

Boomerweps

• Members

hmm... we took the speaker apart, and checked all the conections we could find. Do you mean connections that are insidee of the horn?

No, you did what I was suggesting. Other than a bad horn driver, the other & more likely problem is a broken solder trace or cold solder joint or actual bad component on the crossover board.

Boomerweps

• Members

Cracked solder traces are hard to find. Some gently reflow all the points they can to cover that base. For bad crossover components, you can expose the crossover in operation and use one of the cooling sprays on each till the sound comes back.

I'd swap out the crossover assemblies between the speakers to see if the problem floows (it likely will). You MAY be able order in just the crossover from Yorkville. What's your warranty status?

Boomerweps

• Members

While the advice to check a crossover is logical, I believe these are powered speakers and the amps are internal, making diagnosis more complex. I just bought a used pair of the NX520P's and I down loaded the manual from Yorkville and there is a lot of circuitry in there... A service tech would be the best bet with these units IMHO.

• Members

Yes, it is a powered speaker.

If my guy can not get it going, I will just have to ship it back to yorkville probably. No doubt they are quite accoustmed to working on their own stuff, and they suggest I can send just the electronics without the whole cabinet, which will make shipping a lot less expensive. Shipping the darn cabinet back and forth would probably cost more than the repair?

Archived