EQ, Crossover, and Compressor. Correct path order?

• Members

I do solo acoustic shows, typically only using two channels on a Behringer 12-channel mixer.

I currently have the main outs from the board, running to a stereo EQ, then to the crossover, and finally to the power amps.

I just bought a compressor. What order should I have these, for a correct setup?

Example:

Mixer > EQ > Compressor > Crossover > Power Amp

The compressor is a two channel unit. Should I not have it hooked up in the above scenario? And just use it for individual control of the mic and guitar channels?

Thanks for any and all help you can give. Forgive me if I haven't explained this correctly.

-Trey

• Members

Just something to keep volume of the loud singing down, and the soft strumming up. I figured the compressor would help to even out the signal.

The less compression you can get by with, the better, IMO. Creating and utilizing your own control on dynamics seems to have become something of a lost art these days.

• Members

Wouldn't one be better off using the inserts on the mixer and use both channels of the compressor, adjusting the compression independently for the guitar and vocals?

With the scenario you suggested, I would think as your vocals get loud, it will start compressing the entire signal and and the guitar could get softer. With compression on each channel, it would control the dynamics of one without affecting the other.

I could very well be wrong, in which case someone with more experience will correct me ;)

• Members
Wouldn't one be better off using the inserts on the mixer and use both channels of the compressor, adjusting the compression independently for the guitar and vocals?

With the scenario you suggested, I would think as your vocals get loud, it will start compressing the entire signal and and the guitar could get softer. With compression on each channel, it would control the dynamics of one without affecting the other.

I could very well be wrong, in which case someone with more experience will correct me
;)

That makes perfect sense. However, I think singers need to learn how to "work the mic" more instead of just letting the compressor try and cover everything for them.

• CMS Author

Just something to keep volume of the loud singing down, and the soft strumming up. I figured the compressor would help to even out the signal.

As noted by gadgetx23 a compressor on the mains will not do what you desire. The entire signal will be compressed during loud passages by either instrument, not just the offending instrument. If you wish to keep only the loud instrument at bay, use the compressors on the individual channels via their inserts.

Use compression sparingly.

• Members

exactly how u stated.

mixer, then Eq.. then compress, then cross over , then power.

if you compressed it first you would be Equalizing signal that has been compressed, possibly reducing your output signal then having to make the amp work harder.

thats a wierd example, but one of many i guess..

• Members

Trey,

I 'd say that Gadget's suggestion would be best if you need compression at all.

You don't want compression on your main mix, but rather as an insert on both your vocals and your guitar. Then the comp can be set to best suit each channel.

Compression is rather tricky until you get the hang of it. Still amazes me how quickly one can go from sounding decent to totally squashed to hell!

All of that said, Tbone hit it on the head with his suggestion of learning to work a mic to keep at least some sence of dynamics in your vocals. You'll thank yourself later! :thu:

Joel

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I completely understand and agree with Gadget's suggestion and Joel's advice. For a guitar/vocal solo act, many of the 2-channel compressors might serve well (if used sparingly). Here's my twist...

I'm in a 4-piece, 60s-70s, mainly-acoustic group which switches up our instrumentation up a bit (1-2-or-3 acoustic guitars and bass, keys/bass/1-acoustic, sprinkling of tambourine/maracas, etc.). No drums...no guitar amps on stage. A good deal of harmonies - think Moody Blues, Guess Who, Eagles, Van Morrison, CSNY, etc. We occupy 11 channels of a 12ch board.

I recently bought a Peavey CEL-2a Compressor/Expander/Limiter to add to our PA. My intentions are to:

#1 - get some control over any accidental hard p's, b's, s's, and mic thumps

#2 - help eliminate some of the ambient crowd noise/stage noise through the PA

#3 - "tighten" our monitor mix so it is cleaner/clearer

We are running the following right now for our sound chain:

SM58's for vocs, DI boxes for guitars/bass/keys

..-> 12ch board (slight delay on vocs wired in effect loop)

.. |--> 15 band eq > CS1200X #1 > 4 floor monitors

.. |--> 15 band eq > 2-way crossover > CS1200X #2 > 2x15" bottoms & 2x12" tops (loaded w/horns)

The CEL-2a is a 2-channel unit. My thought was to place one channel "in the way" of each of the main and monitor sends - each after the eq. (that's why I found this forum...I was looking to confirm that thought like Trey). The main settings would be loose, the monitor settings would be (only) a little bit tighter. Keep in mind we have no drummer to consistantly trigger the gating.

I completely understand the importance of working a mic and proper eq. My problem is, I've been playing in bars for years with cover bands...my new band mates have not (although vocally and instrumentally, they each really hold their own). I own the PA and run sound from the stage as we play. I guess ultimately what I really want is some digital help knocking out some of the bad noise from our sets. Plus, the other guys are really hard to eq and mix with their less-than-consistent performance habits.

Am I on the wrong path experimenting with the CEL-2a? I will take your advice to use it sparingly!

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/107425/number/00455990/cat/94/begin/1/CEL?-2a+Compressor/Expander/Limiter.cfm

Thanks all...this forum has been a real kick to read for the last couple hours.

-Matt (Rottdoggie)

Archived