Retiring amps for home?

• Members

I encountered something similar (or opposite?). At one time, prior to my involvement, my church's sound system consisted of a Sony TA-N77ES power amp driving a pair of JBL 4312 Control Monitors. This Sony amp is a nice audiophile amp rated at 200w RMS into 2X8ohm. We've upgraded a number of times and I found this old equipment stored away. The amp still works (cool meters!) and the speakers are really fine. I'll probably throw the works on Ebay eventually. I can just about figure how the church purchased the speakers. They come with some heavy-duty ball-and-socket brackets for mounting on the wall. That would have been handy for the church back in the eighties. How they got paired with that Sony amp is anyone's guess.

• Members

Thanks very much guys!

I had a Phase Linear Dual 500 Mark II that would have been a hoot for home use, but sadly I sold it years ago. That unit was the largest amp Phase Linear ever made and it was IIRC essentially two separate amps of an honest 500 Watts each into 8 ohms. Even if you had it on it

• Members

I've not tried any QSC amps in a home scenario, but have tried the CE4000, K2, K1, MicroTech 1200, and Mackie 1400. The K1 sounded best by a fair margin. But as a hi-fi amp it was not good at all, being easily bested by an old Hafler 500, which is decent, but not great. I can't imagine living with something like a K2 in my hi-fi.

• Members

Well... I kind-of take the opposite approach: A new to me amp, I hook it up to the shop/warehouse sound system and pound it for a week or so (24-7)BEFORE racking it up in the SR rig.

I figure it can crap out here in the shop and nobody's none to the wiser 'cept the shop crew. If it craps out at a gig... well... I figure I'm not getting paid to field test equipment at a paying gig... I don't suspose the clinent figures as much either.

• Members
I've not tried any QSC amps in a home scenario, but have tried the CE4000, K2, K1, MicroTech 1200, and Mackie 1400. The K1 sounded best by a fair margin. But as a hi-fi amp it was not good at all, being easily bested by an old Hafler 500, which is decent, but not great. I can't imagine living with something like a K2 in my hi-fi.

In what way were some of the amps inferior to the others in a home stereo setting?

Archived