QSC 122i powered speakers vs. JBL PRX 515's???

• Members

Hi there. I'm new to this forum.

I am looking to purchase new main PA speakers for my Top 40/Rock band, (weddings, corporate parties, etc.) which will also double as speakers when I DJ as well.

I have always used Mackie SRM450's and loved them, but I'm looking to upgrade, and use my 450's as monitors now.

Weight is a major consideration for me, as I lug things around by myself. I have narrowed my search down to two possiblilities- QSC HPR 122i's OR a pair of JBL PRX 515's. Problem is both are pretty new.

The 15 inch QSC HPR is not an option for me because of the weight (100lbs). I thought I had made up my mind when I saw the new QSC 122i's but then today I listened to (and LIFTED) a pair of JBL PRX 515's. Those have a 15 inch cone and seem (at least on paper) to extend down 10 Hz lower (52 Hz- 20Khz).

Amazingly, those JBL's are LIGHTER than the QSC 122i's! Even though they have a 15" driver, they are only 57 pounds! I didn't listen for long, but they sounded about the same (with CD playback music- of course live material is a different story). I will say this- I compared the subwoofers, and QSC wins there hands down! The QSC HPR 15 inch Sub was COMPLETELY better than the JBL 18 inch sub! Louder, punchier, clearer, more focused, just awesome. So, now I know which sub to get, if I decide to get one. BUT, the audible difference of the main speakers was less obvious- to be fair I was comparing an HPR 152i to the JBL, because the store didn't have any 122i's. Even so, the JBL seemed to have more bottom (without the sub on- so I guess this would be even more the case comparing it to a 122i). Otherwise, the specs are similar, (biamped, watts and SPL) except the JBL has a "Class D" amplifier with some sort of "digital chip" front end, and the QSC utilizes a "class H" amplifier for the low and class A+AB for the high. Also, the QSC I believe is fully wood, while the JBL is mostly polymer plastic (like the mackie).

Bottom line- It's remarkable how light the JBL PRX 515 is for a box with a 15 inch cone, but is it a better speaker than the QSC- soundwise, volume-wise, reliability-wise and rugged-wise (roadworthy)? Can anyone offer some objective advice on this dilemna? Again, I can't carry a 152i- just too heavy. I've gotta keep the speakers around 60 pounds- especially if I opt for a sub- which as I said would DEFINITELY be the QSC, because it rocked. But for my mains, it's down to the QSC 122i's vs. JBL PRX 515's!

I'm confused about which to get- any advice?

• Members

The PRX's are brand spankin' new so there aren't many sold yet. As for the weight, they use the new JBL "differential driver" which uses a different design that greatly reduces the magnet size, which is where a lot of the weight in a driver is. Really, it's a great combination because it's a wood box so it has good acoustic properties, but still remains light. I guess one knock on the driver is, from what I remember someone saying here, they are spendy to recone. That said, since it's self powered , you'd likely not be able to blow them easily if at all.

• Members

I guess one knock on the driver is, from what I remember someone saying here, they are spendy to recone.

Which might lead to a good question. Write the service dept and ask how much to recone.

Yes, they are expensive! That's one advantage of a well designed powered box though... better damage control by engineers, not marketing folks;)

• Members

I have always used Mackie SRM450's and loved them, but I'm looking to upgrade

I don't think either is much of an upgrade ... maybe just a little

Well, is there something else you would recommend at a similar price point which is powered and manageable weight-wise?

Seemed to me the JBL and QSC fit the bill there, and that as far as compared to Mackies, there was just more power...

• Members

Well, is there something else you would recommend at a similar price point which is powered and manageable weight-wise?

Seemed to me the JBL and QSC fit the bill there, and that as far as compared to Mackies, there was just more power...

In my opinion until you spend more than double the money of what you started with you won't see much of an improvement (and maybe it will take a lot more). Maybe something from KV2 (don't know how light weight they are)?

Upping from 400W to 500W is pretty much just going sideways ... unless you get some new feature you needed.

I think your best bet would be to add a powered sub or two to your existing setup.

• Members

We'll be getting 4 122i's pretty soon, I can let you know how they sound. I've seen them, but never heard them. The cabinet is really nice, and they have handles in good places. They have rubber strips on the back for using it as a wedge, which are really nice. They're not too heavy, they look really solid, I'm just waiting to hear how they sound.

Personally, I think these make better wedges than pretty much any other active "multi-purpose" speaker. They actually seem like they'd work really well in either application, unlike most, which seem to be primarily intended as mains, but you can "also" use them as monitors. The QSC's on the other hand, appear to be really well thought out, and would suit either purpose equally well.

• Members

My guess is, as all 3 brands are fairly well distributed, especially the JBL and Mackie, you should be able to get somewhere to hear them for yourself. I thought someone had posted they'd already heard the PRX boxes in a retail store. If not, they'll be in mass circulation soon enough. Since you have the 450's you may as well wait a month or two until you can see, touch and hear.

I'm not a Mackie powered speaker fan myself, but wouldn't bet money either way that the JBL is a considerable upgrade from the Mackie. It just might be, but something you probably should, and can, hear for yourself and decide.

• Members

Well you dont have to double your money to improve over the Mackies, my FBT's sound way better than the Mackies at only about $100 more in cost. I had a set of the Italian mackies and they were not bad sounding for the lower volume venues we played at. The FBT's (Maxx4a) has a fuller with much better lows, mids and highs. Another box to consider is the RCF Art 322, this box has a 2" horn and not to many 12" powered boxes can claim that so I can only imagine that it sounds as good as claimed. They run a few dollars less than a grand.

I have read that the QSC HPR122i uses the same horn thats in the HPR153 three way box, I think its a 1 1/2" throat and it is very articulate and can get loud. The 153 sounds great but its just to heavy for me at 120 pounds. The new JBL PRX 3-way weighs about 75 pounds for comprisions sake. I think the QSC will be a nice box probably better than the Mackies and prbably close to the other two boxes I listed. After that then its the high digit stuff. IMHO.

• 1 month later...
  • CMS Author

I heard the PRX515 about a month ago, compared against the passive MRX. Both sound very natural. If I had to guess, I'd say they were an improvement on the SRM450, but would I replace the Mackie's if that's what I had? No, especially to use the Mackie as a floor wedge, as there's some controversy as to whether there's a thermal issue with them in a horizontal position.

• Members

In my opinion until you spend more than double the money of what you started with you won't see much of an improvement (and maybe it will take a lot more). Maybe something from KV2 (don't know how light weight they are)?

Upping from 400W to 500W is pretty much just going sideways ... unless you get some new feature you needed.

I think your best bet would be to add a powered sub or two to your existing setup.

Da Boomer gives good advice.

I agree that subs would make a more noticeable difference in your sound. I have been going through the same exercise myself in regards to upgrading our Eon G2

• Members

lifeoverwg

I'm kind of in the same boat. for 90% of of ours shows we use Yorkville NX550P's over ES700P subs. For the other 10% we use the band engineers rig which is better, but also 2X the setup time and 3X the tear down. It's EV QRX boxes over EV Xline subs.

Anyway. I want something as easy as the small setup, but throws further and has a bit smoother high end at high SPL's.

RCF - I got my hands on the 322A for a weekend. I liked the box a lot, but found it only marginally better than the NX's I own. It wouldn't be a sideways move, but not straight up either. I guess a diagonal move. Also wonder about the service. The distribution is very spotty right now.

EV ZX5 - I absolutely love the ZX1's I bought for monitor duty. I've not heard the 5's, but they are light weight and well received from what I've read. Only a 1" exit though so I wonder about high SPL harshness and throw. Also, would need amps.

EV QRX 12" - We use the 3 way and 2 way 15" boxes in the "big rig". These are nice speakers. Also, would need amps.

Peavey Versarray - Thinking of 4 of these, but wondering if 4 would be enough. I want to keep them "stand mount" and not have to go into the brackets and lifts (and expense of 6). Would 4 provide noticably better coverage and throw than a single 90 degree box? Also, wondering how they'd work perched atop the small subs. My guess is not well. The EV QRX 15" 2 ways were scary up there. This is even heavier. I wonder how JBL does it with their VRX. They show 2 boxes over a lighter sub with a higher center of gravity. Again would need amps.

New Powered JBL's - They look nice, but also likely a sideways move.

KV2 - Interested in them, but would need to get my hands on one before I'd consider $1500 a box.

Archived