Digital 4 Track with 4 outputs? Is there such a thing?

• Members

Basically I play in a covers duo. Drums and Guitar playing along to a Bass backing track. The drummer plays along to a click track in his headphones while the bass gets pumped into a Bass Amp to add a bit of authenticity to the sound. ie Click panned hard right, bass panned hard left.

We'd like to add some more subtle bits n bobs to the track though, maybe some vocal harmonies and shakers etc.

So...we'd like a setup where we have a digital 4 track with separate outputs so we could have....

TRACK 1: Click [sent to the Drummers Headphones]

TRACK 2: Bass [sent to the Bass Amp]

TRACK 3: Vocal Harmonies [sent to PA]

TRACK 4: Percussion [sent to PA]

Anyone know of some gear that we could achieve this with?

Any help would be great!

Cheers

• Members

I'm sure you can find something like that in the market but what about recording your click track, bass, percussion and backing vocals and mixing them to your liking ahead of time. Pan the click track hard left and everything else hard right. Then you can mix it down in stereo to an mp3 file and use any convenient mp3 player and send the click track channel to the drummers headphone and everything else to the PA.

• Members

Well we did try that, though the bass just sounds really week going through the PA, any attempt at adding bottom end to the EQ just makes it sounds distorted and awful.

Ok...no subs on the PA. You could use your bass amp as a poorman's powered sub. Get a crossover and set it around 100hz and have the highs to to your PA and your lows go to the bass amp. Just a thought....

• Members

That sounds like it could work. I'm not too familiar with this kinda thing, what's a crossover exactly?

A crossover separates the audio at a given frequency allowing you to send only the high signals to your Hi (full range) amps and speakers and your low frequencies to a subwoofer (or in this case..your bass amp).

So in your case, you'd have a mixer with one channel of your MP3 player plugged in and your other live mic's and instruments plugged in. From the mixer out, you'll connect to a crossover. This will give two seperate outputs...one for the mains speakers (hi) and one for the Low (bass amp/cabinet). For starters, set the crossover at 100hz. This way the lower octaves of the bass, kick drum and other low-octave sounds will be routed to your bass-amp. The higher harmonics from the bass and kick will be sent to the mains, but they will be free of the hard to replicate low notes.

If you are looking for a cheap, effective crossover, this Rolls unit is fine.

http://www.music123.com/Rolls-SX21-Tiny-Two-Way-Crossover-i11839.music

Archived