Mackie 1402 alternatives?

• Members

My old Mackie CR 1604 has been quite the workhorse, but I'm going to put my rig on the "diet". I've been eyeballing a 1402, as 2 aux's is all I need, and I'm generally only going to be using 3 or 4 channels.

I then read about some quality control issues with the newer Mackies.

I've been in the business 20+ years, and plan on continuing gigging to the foreseeable future. I need a GREAT sounding small rack-mount board, built to high standards - truly professional.

Are any of the available brands NOT Chinese crap anymore?

A&H?

Seems, too, that a board to small and simple, not too many companies want to put out with good build quality, and professional components.

So, what's out there?

Thanks, G:wave:

• Members

Are any of the available brands NOT Chinese crap anymore?

A&H?

I don't equate Chinese and crap. There are great products that are made in China. It has much more to do with design that with what the guy who built your gear ate for lunch.

As far as I know ... all the lowerend A&h gear is made in China ... along with a good bit of our gear.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Have they discountinued the PV line? I have been searching online and a lot of websites say that the PV10 w/ USB has been discountinued? Is there a new model to be released? I liked my Mackie 1402 VLZ micro, but it had way too much noise (hiss). Maybe I'll go back to the Mackie since they have the 1402 VL3.

• Members

I've been very happy with my Mackie 1402 and noise has not been an issue for my situations. Every system has some noise and as long as it's below the required threshhold for the situation it's not really relevant. Also, sometimes it's hard to do an accurate noise comparison without bench test equipment, although I assume all settings were at unity or identical. And I assume the output of the Mackie (mic/line switch) was set appropriately.

At any rate, I've been considering selling my Mackie only to get a few more features, but it's been good to me and I especially love it's portability -- small and light and with a nice SKB case that fits it perfectly. And I hear of so many reliability issues, including with the mixwiz, that sticking with a known quanity is usually the best. Not to be overly paranoid, but reliability is the most important thing to me and I'm almost afraid to buy any new stuff. Competition often breeds more features but unfortunately sometimes lower quality, in particular at the low end of the market.

• Members

Have they discountinued the PV line? I have been searching online and a lot of websites say that the PV10 w/ USB has been discountinued? Is there a new model to be released?

No ... they are NOT discontinued and there is no new model in the near future.

We are working on a new one but we are having trouble sourcing flux capacitors :lol:

Archived