Live drums, ish

• Members

Hey,

My background is one of a typical rock band situation, but I'm now getting more interested in drum sampling, looping and such in a dance music kinda way.

If a song I have written on the computer has its drums built with digital samples, how do I transfer that into a live situation? Do I need a drum machine, which will play the whole backing track? Or would it be easier to have pads and trigger the samples from a drum machine or sampler? How do dance acts and electronic bands usually play in a live situation?

My problem is that I want to create some more electronic music but have no idea what the best way to do it live would be. Also, what about creating beats on the fly?

I know this sounds really newbieish, even a point in the direction to some good live electronic acts would be a help, because the things I listen to has all been studio tracks.

Just for refrence I have been looking into the sp-404, would that be benificial for playing drum backing tracks? http://www.roland.com/products/en/SP-404/index.html

Cheers, hope this is in the right place. It would probably fit into about 3 different catagories on here. ;)

Miike

• Members

You could sample the entire song and play it back, which works fine as long as you always play it exactly the same way. You could also use a sampling pad and trigger new samples as the song goes on. You could also use a trigger pad and a looper and make your own beats each time, maybe adding/changing parts as the song goes on. You could also get a DJ to play tracks for you onstage. You could also beatbox drum parts into a looper. You could also just get a drummer. Any of those things would work.

I would say that using a sampling pad like a Roland SPD-20 into a looper would be a better choice than a drum machine, and make you look like more of a musician. It takes a little more practice too, but not by much.

I did a show for an act last night that had 2 guys, one who played guitar and sang backup, while the other beatboxed into a looper and then sang over it. It actually worked really well, and they were very entertaining.

• Members

my brothers band uses a ipod. The ipod is set up with a click track. They send the headphone out into a stereo 1/4" outs into a sub mixer. The submixer then feeds the clicks into headphones. Click in the left and the track into the right. The then sends the tracks out to the FOH. It works well for them.

• Members

Thanks for your replies.

It would be nice to have the freedom to create while on stage and then I wouldnt be completely bound by a backing track.

Ive a feeling I might (eventually) use a mix of your suggestions, because it looks like a live drummer would compliment samples/backing track well.

Still early stages yet though, but I'm trying to think ahead. :)

Again, cheers for your answers guys/

Miike

Archived