Controlling feedback from Mics and guitars...

• Members

First of all :wave: I hang around the bass forum and haven't been past these parts before but I have a problem that you guys could help me with. :)

Basically, the band I started rehearsing with today has feedback issues. Now we are only 17, and I am the only one with an amp up to the job. The two guitarists are using 20/10W amps respectivley, and the singer is also going through a 20W stagg bass/whatever amp.

We rehearse in a garage. Take all the power from one mains adaptor (I know :idea: ) but in our circumstances it is the best we can do.

I was wondering if you guys had any practical tips on how to control feedback from the mic/guitars.

Much appreciated. Lewis.

• CMS Author

10 or 20 w on guitars is plenty. Now the vocals, well....

With what you're using for vocals, there's not a lot of volume before you get feedback, so don't expect miracles. Keep the amp as far from the mic as possible, have it up near everyone's heads, and have it face you, so it's pointing at the back of the mic. You can adjust whatever EQ there is to minimize feedback, but most likely it won't do a lot.

• Members

10 or 20 w on guitars is plenty. Now the vocals, well....

With what you're using for vocals, there's not a lot of volume before you get feedback, so don't expect miracles. Keep the amp as far from the mic as possible, have it up near everyone's heads, and have it face you, so it's pointing at the back of the mic. You can adjust whatever EQ there is to minimize feedback, but most likely it won't do a lot.

We can try and raise it up as high as we can, and change where the amps are (it was kinda random today) - what with the one plug and all :rolleyes: - I'm going to bring an extension cable just for the singer at the next practice.

Thanks. Good advice so far. And also hey Craig! :wave: I knew you couldn't get 24,000 posts purely on the bass forum! :D

• Members

I think early on we all tried the vocals through a guitar amp. I know that my first band used a crappy little Crate amp. I think what you're experiencing is the fact that guitar amps have very non-flat frequency response. So in order to make it sound full you are turning it up to a point where those frequencies are feeding back. I think you're on the right track though, a powered monitor would be great for this situation :).. good luck!

Archived