Superbowl performances.

• Members

A couple thoughts while enjoying the superbowl:

1) I'm a 43 year old guy so having Billy Joel (Anthem) and Prince (Halftime) as opposed to Britney, Beyonce and Nelly works for me!:thu:

2) Did anyone think Billy Joel's vocal sounded pitch corrected? I thought I could hear the processor do the "Cher believe" effect a couple times....maybe I'm crazy.

3) What mic was Prince using? Was that a Heil PR20 capsule?

• Members

Theres a big discussion about this here:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1527748

Appears to be a combination of autotune and poor monitoring.

Prince uses a Sennheiser 431.

Thanks. It's good to see others noticed it too!

Whoever inserted that Autotune (and set it too tight) should be shot.

When I heard that weird processing effect in the beginning of the anthem, I had to do a double take. Not Billy Joel!!! But, alas, even the mighty succumb to the tools of modern day trickery.:cry: I would have rather heard him be a bit flat/sharp then have the "cher yoddle effect" kick in.

• Members

Did anyone else think that there were some technical sound problems going on during Prince? I know it was raining steadily, so that may have contributed to some problems, but for a while there was obviously some things missing in the mix. A whole-LOTTA guitar and vocals, but no drums? Bass? Keys? You heard some of the marching band, but as far as the rest of the band onstage?

:confused:

• Members

Did anyone else think that there were some technical sound problems going on during Prince? I know it was raining steadily, so that may have contributed to some problems, but for a while there was obviously some things missing in the mix. A whole-LOTTA guitar and vocals, but no drums? Bass? Keys? You heard some of the marching band, but as far as the rest of the band onstage?

yeah but it was still a huge improvement over last year (or was it the year before). I remember not hearing whole solos, or only half of them. Broadcast truck audio engineers probablly aren't accustomed to mixing bands. do a search for posts around this time last year and about the super bowl.

• Members

I thought the same thing about the missing parts. But with all the rain, who is to say what may have happened to the band. I sat watching the game and just kept thinking "someone is probably freaking out over the weather and what it will do to pretty much everything in the Half Time show".

It sure would have scared me.

• Members

There's no band to mix, the show was track except for Prince's guitar and vocal, standard procedure for halftime shows. Artist delivers a mix minus to the broadcast truck, who distributes it to the PA. There hasn't been a fully live halftime show in years, probably U2 being the last one.

• Members

There's no band to mix, the show was track except for Prince's guitar and vocal, standard procedure for halftime shows. Artist delivers a mix minus to the broadcast truck, who distributes it to the PA. There hasn't been a fully live halftime show in years, probably U2 being the last one.

Based on what?

Just curious.....

• Members

thought the superbowl was way better then the stones last year...Prince was actually enjoyable and I thought the sound was pretty good considering the pooring rain...I think his guitar was cut way down at the very end or there was a transmission problem with it...other then that pretty good.. I saw a drummer hitting...I'm assuming this wasn't tracked but who knows for sure...WAY better then last year though!!

• Members

thought the superbowl was way better then the stones last year...Prince was actually enjoyable and I thought the sound was pretty good considering the pooring rain...I think his guitar was cut way down at the very end or there was a transmission problem with it...other then that pretty good.. I saw a drummer hitting...I'm assuming this wasn't tracked but who knows for sure...WAY better then last year though!!

• Members

where20190 is correct that it was most likely pre-recorded. The risks of munning a show like that with so many open mics and trying to get a decent sound... not fun.

I worked on the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games in the past year and both shows had pre-recorded tracks for all performers bar 1. Dummy mics on the kit, orchestra and choir - you bet! what do you do with excess cable... a quick small coil and gaff it to the underside of your mic stand... voila!

Using Pyramix the whole replay system is really simple. pre-mixed stems are sent to FOH & broadcast for a final mix with any live components like Prince's vocals etc.

• Members

Antares Auto Tune,

definetly major part of his singing processing, veyr chasy setting i thought, i think they could hve utilized the adjustments of the auto tune way better!

yeah they could have adjusted the autotune to off and it would have sounded so much better. you can't even fairly judge his performance since autotune made it sound terrible regardless. one things for certain, this performance probably won't help boost autotune live processer sales.

• Members

I thought the exact same thing - although I do dig the Purple One's guitar playing, it would've been nice to hear the rest of the band!

And as a keyboard player and a child of the 70's, Billy Joel was an idol of mine as a young piano player - but it kind of saddened me to see him do the Anthem at the SuperBowl w/the auto-tuner adjustment thingie from hell... :evil::cry:

Even as a long-time fan of Billy's, I realize he's not the strongest singer around - esp. at this point in his life - and it seemed a strange choice to have him to begin with, pitch-correction or not. The Star Spangled Banner at the SuperBowl is usually a marquis moment reserved for "singers," not "performers." I consider Billy a great musician - songwriter, piano player, overall performer... but let's face it, he's not a flat-out killer singer. They've had Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, etc... in the past - singing the Anthem for the 'Bowl. Why not Jennifer Hudson this year - or Lee Ann Rimes or someone more along those lines?

Archived