Because you guys know everything here.

• Members

Here's something that I was pondering last night during the Super Bowl.

Prince was out there playing in the pouring rain. And. His guitar and mic were wireless.

What I was wondering was that since he wasn't directly wired to any power source directly, was it possible for him to get shocked? Can you get shocked if you run everything wireless? I don't know how these things work.

When I was watching it I thought that and then I thought, "I bet the guys on the live sound forum would know". :D

• Members

Thank you agedhorse.

Let me ask you another question.

I keep my GBE 500 in the garage. It's damn cold today. Are the temperature differentials in the garage read bad for my amp.

I have so much PA equipment and bass gear that I can't store it all in the house and loading in and out is much easier in the garage. But. I'd hate to kill my amp and PA head by keeping it semi-outdoors.

• CMS Author

Fortunately, at least in our neck of the woods (Harry lives a few miles south of me) when the temps drop, so does the humidity. But if you keep your car in the garage, be sure to leave the door open a few inches (locked to keep your gear from walking) to let moisture evaporate to outside.

I think the relative humidity today is about 20%. Temps are in the teens:(

• Members

The only isue is when bringing it inside (where it is more humid), you could have condensation issues. If you bring it in the night before, it will be ready for you in the morning. A couple of hours is a good waiting time, but it all depends on relative humidity. The cold is not a problem.

• Members

We send our wireless units out with non-lubricated condoms in the spares kits. If he artist is sweating or it is raining, you pop a condm on the transmitter/receiver bodypack to keep the moisture off.

I bet the sound co wasn't worried, for a gig like the super bowl, even the $500 mic is an expendable (what a budget they must have.....)

• Members

eh, i think the mic was more on the 1-2K level and during a couple scenes in some light you could see something glistening on the body of the mic very unevenly. it reminded me of plastic wrap around a bagel. they were probablly willing to sacrifice the capsule but probablly figured rain could destroy the electronics during the show. I wouldnt be surprised if they switched his mic out multiple times due to possible damage.

• Members

Sorry, my estimate was to replace the capsule... I wasn't paying too much attention, I was more into the dancers (NOT) they seemed to be a bit dated (and by that I mean stuck in the '80s or '90s.....) I enjoyed the show, though, and went back to watching movie after half-time was over (not a football fan)

• Members

I noticed that the mix was very guitar heavy for the first song.:confused:

Where was the engineer standing/ sitting? Inside, no doubt. :thu: Probably had a monitor to get the FOH mix in their little booth.

Did anyone notice that Prince slammed his mic on the floor towards the end? I heard the "thump". :eek:

• Members

I noticed that the mix was very guitar heavy for the first song.
:confused:
Where was the engineer standing/ sitting? Inside, no doubt.
:thu:
Probably had a monitor to get the FOH mix in their little booth.

Did anyone notice that Prince slammed his mic on the floor towards the end? I heard the "thump".
:eek:

I noticed the mix disparity too. I attributed it more to problems with the rest of the bands feeds to the mixer than anything else. Like someone missed a multi-pin connection, or water got into something. I am always amazed that they can set up so quickly and have everything go so smoothly. Especially in the rain.

I sure wouldn't want to have to deal with that kind of pressure.

Archived