Alternative to SM58

• Members

Need vocal mics for a group (actually a family) of non-professional acapella singers. I guess they one day want to perform church music or something and they've asked me to find them a bunch of stuff. If the SM58 is slightly out of their budget, what is the next best thing?

• Members

You want cheap? The Behringer XM8500 at $20 a pop aren't too bad. At that cost they can afford a few spares. If they get damaged, throw them away. They come with a nice little plastic hardcase per mic that I use for my Audix D6 left in my drum hardware case. And a RUBBER mic clip.

Boomerweps

• Members

those e835 are more spicy on the top, which can be good (or bad). they dont seem to handle plosives very well (i have three and use them alot)

personally i will grab a e835 long before an sm58. usually they will work better, but there are some vocalists that are incompatible with these mics. for those i grab the sm58's.

• Members

Sennheiser e835 are typically 3 for $220 in an "ePack". Similar mic in performance, with less proximity effect than the SM-58.

Another vote for the e835's but here's an even better deal. Ebay seller "Audio-Online" often has three packs on a BuyItNow or Best Offer price of $188 plus $12 shipping. They will accept an offer of $165 (plus the $12 ship). Killer deal. I've bought from them more than once, and they sell brand new stuff, their shipping is honest, they ship pretty quick, and have good comm. My dealings with them have been trouble free and satisfying.

Good luck, d.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone heard of OLP mics? I noticed these and thought they look interesting...

Nah...don't mess with those.

If you want a $20 mic, the Behringer XM8500 that someone mentioned earlier is about as cheap and decent as you'll get. The Senn e835 is a great mic for a bit cheaper than the Shure SM58 but still 3 times more than the Behringer. For my money, I'd go with the Sennheisser, but if your looking for something decent for a family of amateur, no-gig-having, family-troupe of acapella singers on a budget...get the Behringers.

Archived