best feedback destroyer

• CMS Author

I do Karaoke lots of singers and need as much gbf as i can get

IM using Behringer fbd and im not satisfied

You won't maximize GBF with a feedback killer, as it essentially does nothing until you get feedback, then overdoes things and waits, then resets back to where you had your EQ. This could be why you're not satisfied, but I don't have enough info. What's wrong with the Behringer that's got you looking?

• Members

My wife sings with me in the show.When she sings because she has a soft voice i start to get feedback.most other singers that get up are ok.as you can see its a big problem if i get feedback i get no dinner next day + picture no sound for days.Behringer is ok but i need a lot of volume on her mic on foh and monitors so she can be heard.

• Members

If your board EQ has sweepable mids... you might find the primary problem frequency and dial it out a bit from the board...

I buss all the vocals to a group and use a graphic EQ/compressor to process the FOH vocals... the monitor sends have their own EQ/Comp.. If your setup is not that elaborate then you have to use the board EQ or put an EQ in the channel insert (if available) for her channel.

• Members

The biggest help to eliminate feedback is good mic technique. I know that people like to sing quietly (shyness), but there really is no substitute for proper vocals technique (srry delboys). You could try to couch people to "eat the mic" before they start singing. Also, turning down the monitor as Agedhorse said makes people think they are quieter and sometimes coaxes them to sing a little louder.

• Members

I like the peavey FLS EQ's...just had a feedback problem with one of the vox mics and being new at this it was very helpful to have a light come on and show me the culprit...noy a fix all by any means but at least points me in the right direction

• Members

Yes of course, doing karaoke nights he can afford a good pro engineer running sound..... :rolleyes:

I've tried Peavey Feedback Ferret, Sabine and dbx. The best method I found was to use the dbx Driverack and setup with RTA. Then calibrate the feedback killer, but it would rarely kick in b/c of the nice flat EQ'd room acoustic. And this was with a omni headset mic, the nastiest thing you can use feedback-wise. :eek:

I guess the Behringer unit is not that totally useless. Here is my advice:

- Get some nice microphones, hyper-cardoid. Have sheets with "IMPORTANT: instructions" on how to use the mic (4 inches distance, sing into mic etc..) on every table

- Make sure the gain-structure is fine tuned. This is critical for feedback.

- Speaker placement. Get them way up

- Make sure the aehmm... "singers" don't get too close to speakers and monitors, by placing obstacles.

- Make sure you EQ the room. I found that RTA was perfect for me.

- Play with the parameters on the Feedback-killer. This can make big difference

• Members

then I would go with the peavey FLS...you get the EQ and feedback finder in one....I use one channel for mains and one for monitors...asI upgrade the FOH EQ I'll use both channels for monitor mixes and would even consider another if I go to >2 mixes.....

• Members

My vote is for the peavey feedback ferrit. I have 2 of these that give me a total of 4ch and i run them on 4 monitor mixes. Befor the performance I turn the monitor levels up 1 by 1 and cherp out the feedback takes about 60 seconds and works every time. Monitors have more volume then I need. I dont even have any 31 band EQs on them. I use a 4 band para EQ 1 per mix on them just to tune and sweeten the boxes.

Archived