12" vs. 15" Cabinets - for Keys?

• Members

Ok, so I've been reading about the new JBL PRX series - in this thread: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1525230

...and it got me to wondering:

If I were to get a nice pair of 12" cabinets - like the powered JBL PRX 5412M's - and a pair of subs (15" or 18")... is that enough to put keyboards thru the mains or should I have cabinets w/15" speakers?

Or does the power handling affect the equation: if I went for the higher-end SRX712M - passive boxes (I'd need a separate pwr. amp of course) but higher power-handling capacity (800w for the SRX712M vs. 500w for the PRX51M) - would that be a better choice to pump keys thru the mains, along w/vocal and whatever else... :confused::eek:

• CMS Author

Ok, so I've been reading about the new JBL PRX series - in this thread:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1525230

...and it got me to wondering:

If I were to get a nice pair of 12" cabinets - like the powered JBL PRX 5412M's - and a pair of subs (15" or 18")... is that enough to put keyboards thru the mains or should I have cabinets w/15" speakers?

Or does the power handling affect the equation: if I went for the higher-end SRX712M - passive boxes (I'd need a separate pwr. amp of course) but higher power-handling capacity (800w for the SRX712M vs. 500w for the PRX51M) - would that be a better choice to pump keys thru the mains, along w/vocal and whatever else...
:confused::eek:

I think one of the points we were making in the other thread is that power-handling isn't really different...the MRX and PRX share the same drivers, so it's probably a wise move (especially with high power factor source like keys) to ''do what they do, not what they say'' when it comes to powering.

Would these speakers do the job? Depends on the job, but I'd venture to say they'll be fine for most small and medium venues.

• Members

I think one of the points we were making in the other thread is that power-handling isn't really different...the MRX and PRX share the same drivers, so it's probably a wise move (especially with high power factor source like keys) to ''do what they do, not what they say'' when it comes to powering.

Would these speakers do the job? Depends on the job, but I'd venture to say they'll be fine for most small and medium venues.

When you say the 12" would be "fine for most small and medium venues" - are you specifically referring to my question Re: whether they could handle keys or not?

Also -

The power-handling may not be different betw. the MRX and PRX lines - but I also referred to the higher-end SRX line, where the 12" cabs are rated for 800watts. Would an 800watt rated 12" box handle keys better than a 400w cabinet? Is that the part you mean about "do what they do, not what they say" ?? - ie, use the higher power-rated speakers for keys, since they're going to need it... :confused::eek:

Or is the power rating not the issue here... as pertains to my specific question about handling keyboards thru the mains - whether 15" drivers are required or if 12" would be okay?

• CMS Author

When you say the 12" would be "fine for most small and medium venues" - are you specifically referring to my question Re: whether they could handle keys or not?

Also -

The power-handling may not be different betw. the MRX and PRX lines - but I also referred to the higher-end SRX line, where the 12" cabs are rated for 800watts. Would an 800watt rated 12" box handle keys better than a 400w cabinet? Is that the part you mean about "do what they do, not what they say" ?? - ie, use the higher power-rated speakers for keys, since they're going to need it...
:confused::eek:

Or is the power rating
not
the issue here... as pertains to my specific question about handling keyboards thru the mains - whether 15" drivers are required or if 12" would be okay?

The driver size is only an issue from the standpoint of how the individual speakers sound. A 12" is not intrinsically better or worse for keys than a 15"... it's totally subjective what you prefer.

I didn't notice that you mentioned, SR-X too, sorry. While they are rated higher, the same general caveat applies. The fact that JBL sees 400 watts as fine for the PRX would make me tend to apply less power to SRX as well since they all seem to use the new Differential Drive drivers. I used less than the rated RMS for my own SR-X boxes, simply out of necessity, but it works just fine as they get loud enough without driving the amps to clip. Your mileage may vary. I'd be comfortable using 600w to the SRX.

If your decision is SRX vs the other two....go SRX if it's at all possible. They are very good cabinets.

• Members

The driver size is only an issue from the standpoint of how the individual speakers sound. A 12" is not intrinsically better or worse for keys than a 15"... it's totally subjective what you prefer.

I didn't notice that you mentioned, SR-X too, sorry. While they are rated higher, the same general caveat applies. The fact that JBL sees 400 watts as fine for the PRX would make me tend to apply less power to SRX as well since they all seem to use the new Differential Drive drivers. I used less than the rated RMS for my own SR-X boxes, simply out of necessity, but it works just fine as they get loud enough without driving the amps to clip. Your mileage may vary. I'd be comfortable using 600w to the SRX.

If your decision is SRX vs the other two....go SRX if it's at all possible. They are very good cabinets.

Ok, so the 12" vs. 15" is subjective - as far as how they sound w/keys, hmmm... I like the way my EON15 G2's sound w/keys - they have a 15" woofer. I really like the my Motion Sound KP200S keyboard amp sounds w/keys - but it's a keyboard amp, specifically designed for amplifying keys so one would hope it sounds good for keys...! :eek: The KP200S has two 10" speakers in it. I guess what I'm driving at here is I don't have that much experience in putting keys thru a 12" speaker.

But 12" MRX series cabinets only weigh 33lbs, as do the 12" SRX cabinets. The 15" MRX cabs are 43lbs. & the 15" SRX jobbies are 48lbs. - if the 12" cabs are useable mains (including vocals, keys, etc...) then that shaves off as much as 30lbs., which is a nice weight loss indeed! :thu:

• Members

I guess in the past, I've always thought having 15" spkr. was better for keys (or, two 10" spkrs. - even better!) - but that's thinking in terms of just pure output for the keys, a true "keyboard amp"... if I think in terms of the overall mix within a band setting - maybe 12" helps keep keys from getting too muddy in the bass and overlapping where the bass gtr. would be... :confused::freak:

• CMS Author

I guess in the past, I've always thought having 15" spkr. was better for keys (or, two 10" spkrs. - even better!) - but that's thinking in terms of just pure output for the keys, a true "keyboard amp"... if I think in terms of the overall mix within a band setting - maybe 12" helps keep keys from getting too muddy in the bass and overlapping where the bass gtr. would be...
:confused::freak:

In your first post you mentioned using subs with either 12" or 15" mid-highs. If so, there's no particular need for a 15" unless the cabinet just happens to sound better to your ears.

• Members

In your first post you mentioned using subs with either 12" or 15" mid-highs. If so, there's no particular need for a 15" unless the cabinet just happens to sound better to your ears.

Aye - true.

I guess having speakers w/15" woofers could allow one to sometimes bring the subs (for the bigger rooms) and sometimes leave 'em home (for smaller venues) though, right...? :idea:

Archived