I'm now part of the Behringer failure during a gig club

• Members

My Ultracurve Sh*t the bed Saturday night during a gig. I use it as an EQ for my 2 front wedges. I usually use the feedback destroyers on there too incase of a stray freq that can't be quickly attenuated since there are no physical faders on it. There was a message on the unit on Friday night and Saturday saying the battery was dead so the user memory was wiped. I'm gonna try to replace the battery and see if it works again, then get rid of it on eBay (explaining the problem of coarse) or maybe use it for target practice with my deerslayer.

Whether it works or not I'm gonna need another 2 channels of 31band EQ. I have a DBX 2231 for FOH. I'm thinking bout getting either a 231, or a Peavey with FLS. I've started having some workers helping with FOH duty and monitors are mixed from FOH so the FLS might come in handy when less expierenced hands are at the helm. I'm open to some suggestions in the $200-$350 range for a 2 channel EQ since I'm not set on any particular peice yet. Thanks.

• Members

This sounds like the perfect time to get a driverack for FOH and move your 2231 to monitor duty. :)

Actually, before I got the the part of your post about the 2231 you already have, I was going to suggest getting one of those rather than a 231. I'm not really a fan of the 231, or any other EQ in that range really, but I think the 2231 is a great EQ for the money. That's why I suggest a Driverack (260), so you can have a good EQ for monitors and upgrade your FOH at the same time.

In my experience, the FLS EQ's work really well to help track down feedback, but the EQ's themselves aren't as nice as they should be. I don't think they sound as good for the money you pay. Just my opinion. Besides, Smaart is better for tracking down feedback anyway. ;)

If you're going to blast the Ultracurve, make it a challenge by putting it at 500 yards, on edge, so you go right through the faceplate. For bonus points, fill it with explosives and shoot tracers at it. Or see if you can get an extra-large trap thrower and go at it with some 3 1/2" 12ga 00 buck. That would be pretty fun.

Whatever you do, if you decide to destroy it, be sure to post some pics. :D

• Members

As much as I'm not a fan of the B word, it sound like it's just the battery. Batteries die. How long have you had the unit? Was it out in the cold? If so that could of have easily zapped it to the point of memory wipeage. Heck even if it's not that old, I'm sure they don't use the bestest of the best batteries. ... It only needs to last 12 months

• Members

I know I changed out a battery on my Alesis Midiverb 4 and since then it's work perfect at year 2. I believe according to Alesis tech support their battery life was 5 years not sure with the Behr. might try to find out through their tech. support.

• Members

I've had the unit for a few years, 4 or 5 now it's the older one the 8024. I've replaced the battery 3 or 4 times over that time period. The unit won't boot up, it tries to but the welcome screen may come on for a half a second before going blank. I've been wanting to upgrade the EQ anyway. I really got the ultracurve for the RTA but with the gigs I work there's never time to pink the room anyway. I've thought about going the Drive Rack route, but I don't know. I'm not to excited about another mission critical piece of digital gear. I've had some other digital gear fail on be before, some Samson Digital graphic EQ and a parametric EQ/feedback detection unit (part of the PA that was supplied by Samson for the Stage I did sound for at Warped Tour). I also don't have a laptop to utilize SMAART with a 260.

I'll get a new battery today and see what happens with the Behringer unit. I'm still gonna find some new solution though. Thanks for the advice, if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

• Members

I wouldn't classify this as an equipment failure, much as some may look for any reason to shoot down a Berhinger (figuratively and literally ;>).

Yeah, simple battery replacement. It's a flat ni-cad type available at Radio Shack. A FRESH version SHOULD last about 5 years. I replaced one in a DSP8024 that was about 4-5 years old and it worked fine for the next year and then I sold it. I had two DSP8024s and sold the older one when I got a DRPA.

You should be more pissed about whoever sells you whatever brand BATTERIES that have been failing you.

Also a good lesson in WRITING down your settings so they can be re-entered upon any failures.

Boomerweps

• CMS Author

I wouldn't classify this as an equipment failure, much as some may look for any reason to shoot down a Berhinger (figuratively and literally ;>).

Yeah, simple battery replacement. It's a flat ni-cad type available at Radio Shack. A FRESH version SHOULD last about 5 years. I replaced one in a DSP8024 that was about 4-5 years old and it worked fine for the next year and then I sold it. I had two DSP8024s and sold the older one when I got a DRPA.

You should be more pissed about whoever sells you whatever brand BATTERIES that have been failing you.

Also a good lesson in WRITING down your settings so they can be re-entered upon any failures.

Boomerweps

I'm not jumping on a bashing bandwagon here, but I do feel that a battery failure should not disable the unit. Reprogramming, yes, but a failure to boot...no. It should be possible to reprogram the unit with power on, so you can at least get through the gig. But we don't live in "perfect" do we?:D

• Members

I'm not jumping on a bashing bandwagon here, but I do feel that a battery failure should not disable the unit. Reprogramming, yes, but a failure to boot...no. It should be possible to reprogram the unit with power on, so you can at least get through the gig. But we don't live in "perfect" do we?
:D

Well, my battery failure did NOT disable the unit. Hmmm?

Talk about battery problems messing up electronics. The older Peavey CEX(?, early DSP) had a battery that when it got old enough to fail, it leaked and corroded the circuit board, totaling the unit for the average guy. Especially since most weren't familiar enough with needing to change the battery out or remove it for long term (several years) storage.

Boomerweps

• CMS Author

Well, my battery failure did NOT disable the unit. Hmmm?

Talk about battery problems messing up electronics. The older Peavey CEX(?, early DSP) had a battery that when it got old enough to fail, it leaked and corroded the circuit board, totaling the unit for the average guy. Especially since most weren't familiar enough with needing to change the battery out or remove it for long term (several years) storage.

Boomerweps

So yours would boot without the battery, and InACan's does not. Hmmm, indeed. Maybe he does have a failed unit.

• Members

I've had the unit for a few years, 4 or 5 now it's the older one the 8024. I've replaced the battery 3 or 4 times over that time period.

Does the unit sit for long periods of time unpowered?

IF so, maybe try leaving it powered up, or at least plugged in. This might slow the drain on the battery.

• Members

just wanted to let you know the peavey fls came in quite handy at the show...being inexperienced it was nice to see the feedback light-up on the eq for me to cut down a little.....the FLS is great for newbies like myself....

and that was a reccomendation by someone on this board...so thanks!!

• Members

Failure to boot is the problem. The display will light up, and the welcome screen stating "Welcome to the world of Behringer something or other" flashs for less than a second and then it goes blank, but is still backlit. I need to provide some additional info, I had the unit booted up at sound check, then when I went to check the meters, nothing doing. The meters aren't doing anything, the feedback destroyers aren't working, and the band can't hear anything from the wedges, so I powered down the monitors, powered down the EQ and it wouldn't boot up again. I would classify that as unit failure since it wasn't actually working before the boot up problem. I did some repatching to bypass the EQ and went with out it on the monitors.

The batteries I've used in the past were either Duracell, or Eveready bought at a local CVS, it's a lithium 3v from what I remember. I've changed it twice since buying the unit in roughly 2002. The 2nd battery went in just a couple of weeks, so maybe the batteries were faulty (bought a 2 pack) but the 3rd battery did last over a year. Either way I think it's the unit more so than the batteries.

I'd prefer an analog EQ, so I'll take any more suggestions sticking to the $300-$400 range. Thanks.

• Members

I'd prefer an analog EQ, so I'll take any more suggestions sticking to the $300-$400 range. Thanks.

Understand, especially wary of the Behringer now. BUT the new DEQ2496 1RU replacement for the 8024 has all it's features and more including a 1/6th octave GEQ (64 band) and runs about $300. Only reason I haven't upgraded to one is that it only has XLR for I/O, my monotr mixes are unbalanced, & I don't want to pay the extra freight and still have to do the adapter dance ;>( I haven't read of any complaints on the DEQ2496 yet.

Boomerweps

• Members

Understand, especially wary of the Behringer now. BUT the new DEQ2496 1RU replacement for the 8024 has all it's features and more including a 1/6th octave GEQ (64 band) and runs about $300. Only reason I haven't upgraded to one is that it only has XLR for I/O, my monotr mixes are unbalanced, & I don't want to pay the extra freight and still have to do the adapter dance ;>( I haven't read of any complaints on the DEQ2496 yet.

Boomerweps

OK here's one. We have a DEQ2496 in use as a EQ for our subs (we also use the RTA/SPL meter during shows sometimes. After about 6 months in service (it was bought more than 12 months earlier so no warranty) it started "thumping" every so often (of course rarely enough to make it a PITA to track it down). We took the unit apart , could see nothing obvious, blew some compressed air through it and reinstalled it. About 2 months later - same problem. Luckyly the vendor we bought it from had one with the same problem so he made an exchange for us (I hope he made "B" eat it). We're now on unit 2.

Archived