playing drums with split track -live performace setting-

• Members

I am probably maybe start playing the drums for a southern gospel group and the singer told me and asked if I have heard split tracks during a live perfomance. I have heard of split tracks for singing for choirs and solo work (instrumental track on the left and vocal track on the right). He told me they want to do this in case one of the band members can't make it for one of the gigs, then they play back that instrument with the rest of the band on all the songs for the concert. Has anyone heard or have played with split tracks? I have heard of playing with click track in the studio, is a split track the same or totally different? I have played with tracks with no drums on them, and SMF tracks before. Would this be the same thing or close to it? Can anyone help me out here.

• Members

Thanks for your input, the singer told me that the split track was actual instruments. For example he said, if the bass player wasn't able to be there for the performance or I wasn't able to be there to play, then they would have the bassist or my drum track(that was recorded previous in the studio) to play along with the other muscians & vocalist. Does that explain it better that is not a click track. Isn't a click track just like a clicking or beeping sounds in the heaphones while playing? Thanks.

Here is a link product to something is what he is talking about but doing this for the band when one of can't be there to play:

http://www.halleonard.com/item_detail.jsp?itemid=843044&order=27&catcode=06&refer=search&type=product&keywords=play+along+

I think this is what he means.

Archived