Cardiod vs. Hyper-cardiod mic suprise....

• Members

At last evening's band practice I substituted our normal practice Sennheiser 835's with three Samson hyper-cardioid R11's. We have been having problems getting enought monitor volume before feedback and from what I've learned on this forum and elsewhere on the 'net, the hyper-cardioid mic should help some.

To my (our) surprise, the feedback was worse with the R11's. All other factors remained the same. So I changed them again, connecting the 835's and we were ok again. So the result was completely contrary to the desired outcome.

Why? It's beyond my knowledge and I couldn't offer a reason to my bandmates.

Thanks for your help.....

Tony Noriega

• Members

Could be 2 different reasons...

1. The position of the monitor may have been within the admitance lobe directly behind the hyper-cardiod mic (look closely at the plotted pattern, there is a big lobe at the back ofthe mic and greater nulling off to the sides with a hyper compared with the regular cardiod.

2. The response plot is less smooth with the hypercardiod mic, and response peaks are high enough to negate any benefits from the improved pattern in some areas.

• Members

Cardiod vs. hyper-cardiod basically talks about pickup pattern....you probably understand this. Hypercardiod is a bit tighter to the front of the mic providing better off-axis rejection, but also has a sweet spot directly toward the rear of the mic that will cause problems.

More significant may be the mics freq response. If a particular mic has a spike at a specific frequency and your speakers also have a bump at the same freq, the mic will feedback quicker.

Not all mics provide the same signal level so if the Samsons are a little hotter than the 835's(I don't know this) then they may also feedback quicker if the trim is set the same.

Just some thoughts....

Archived