P.A. Suggestions Please

• Members

Hey, I just got finally got a band going, but we need some suggestions on P.A.'s. We have a lockout, but we need a P.A. that can handle 4 piece volume and have inputs for: 2 vox, 1 keys, 1 acoustic.

Any suggestions on what would be powerful enough? We are a rock band in the vain of Foo Fighters and Incubus. What wattage would be appropriate?

As for budget, we don't need anything fancy, just something loud enough to get the job done. Preferably around the $500-$700 used range.

Thanks!

• Members

To be honest you budget will limit you on how much gear your gonna need for a Rock band. You gotta enough to get a used set of speakers cabs. Usually any decent speaker cabs start in that price range for one cab only. Plus you need a mixer and a amp. Your second option would be a used power mixer w/cabs third option used powered speakers w/mixer but really your funds are short. You could get a set of Peavey PR12 or 15's 350-400$ leaves you 100-300$ for a mixer but still need an amp, or maybe a used powered mixer. Then again your funds or short. Might try to save up more for a better system not only you'll sound better have less headaches about failure like with Behringer and plus have a better re-sale value. Just my 2 cents I'm sure others here might know a better route to go but I don't see it with your funds.

• Members

Is there no "combo" that combines a pair of speakers and a powered mixer? In my old band, we used a Fender Passport, and it did the job, but I'm just trying to see if if there's possibly a better solution. Is Carvin a good budget P.A. brand?

Remember, this is only for rehearsals not for live shows at all. I just need to make sure vocals and instruments are loud enough over rockin guitars, bass, and drums. Pristine quality isn't a necessity at this stage of the game, since it's only for practicing and I know the budget is probably 1/5th of what it would cost to get an actual decent P.A. setup goin.

• Members

My bad thought you needed a rig for a gigging. Well I would go with Carvin before Behringer and I would check out the PR12-15's and maybe a used Yamaha or Peavey powered mixer then you should be set I know I have a friend that uses the PR15's for their practices and have plenty of volume for vocals and Electric drum kit.

• CMS Author

Remember, this is only for rehearsals not for live shows at all.

Just an FYI....you didn't mention this in your original post:)

I'd recommend you look for a single powered speaker. If you go with a Peavey PR-15PN you may be able to get away with buying new. It's got a 3-channel mixer.

PR-15P, $400

On-Stage spkr stand, $45

2 mic stands, $60 (you can get a 3-pack for $70)

2 mics, $200 for two SM-58 (you could get 3 Sennheiser e835 for $220)

2 cables, $18

Yeah, it could be done. These prices were from zzounds. Other online stores have similar deals.

• Members

Microphones, cables, mic stands, all that we already have.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I need a recommendation on a powered mixer, probably 4-6 channels preferred (2 vox/keys/acoustic gtr) and a set of speakers to match it. From what I understand, what would be the best way to go: Mackie, Yamaha, Carvin, Peavey?..?

Also, what's the appropriate wattage for a 4 piece ROCK band?

• CMS Author

Microphones, cables, mic stands, all that we already have.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I need a recommendation on a powered mixer, probably 4-6 channels preferred (2 vox/keys/acoustic gtr) and a set of speakers to match it. From what I understand, what would be the best way to go: Mackie, Yamaha, Carvin, Peavey?..?

Also, what's the appropriate wattage for a 4 piece ROCK band?

You could get a used pair of the PR's, or budget a little more to get some new.

A powered mixer will limit you in the future. For the same bang for the buck a set of powered speakers will grow with the band. They're bi-amped and the power is matched to the speakers so you will typically get much better sound than with any passive speaker arrangement for the same money.

There's really no approximate wattage figure that would be remotely useful. The volume you need for a given venue dictates the gear, and speaker efficiency varies a lot, and this will vary the wattage needed considerably.

• Members

If your max budget is $700, then I would go with this system:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Soundcraft-Gigrac-300Peavey-PR12?sku=632402

(2) Peavey PR-12 Speakers

(1) Soundcraft Gigrac 300 8-Channel Powered Mixer

(2) Speaker Stands

(2) 25' 16-gauge Speaker Cables

(2) 20' Lo-Z Mic Cables

(2) AKG D 8000 S dynamic hypercardioid mics

(You probably don't need the mics, but the rest of the system is a good deal I think)

However, if your budget can be expanded slightly, I'd go with something more like this:

(2) Peavey PR-12P Powered Speakers ($720)

(1) Yamaha MG10/2 Stereo Mixer ($90)

(2) Speaker Stands

(2) TRS-XLR(M) 20 Foot Cables

With a little negotiation on your part, a system like this could probably be had for about $800 or less at your local GC or sound dealer. Plus, when as your system grows, you can use the Peavey's as floor monitors.

Anyway, good luck! :thu:

• Members

A pair of decent monitors and a used Peavey powered mixer would be perfect.

Yea that is almost what I was thinking.

The thing is you want to just get by for now, with "something", but it is better by far to figure out "something" that will work for now, but THAT WILL ALSO work later, when you expand your system. that way your money spent, becomes an investment that grows with you. Try to look at the bigger picture, and the longer term.

• Members

Powered speakers would be the better route for you now because you could use them later on.

However, if your budget can be expanded slightly, I'd go with something more like this:

(2) Peavey PR-12P Powered Speakers ($720)

(1) Yamaha MG10/2 or Similar Stereo Mixer ($90-$100)

(2) Speaker Stands

(2) TRS-XLR(M) 20 Foot Cables

With a little negotiation on your part, a system like this could probably be had for about $800 or less at your local GC or sound dealer. Plus, when as your system grows, you can use the Peavey's as floor monitors.

Anyway, good luck!

:thu:

• Members
Powered speakers would be the better route for you now because you could use them later on.

The powered speakers will sound better than passive speakers and a powered mixer because they are biamped and have the correct wattage. Also, later when you expand your setup, the powered mixer will be of very little use to you whereas the powered speakers can be easily used as floor monitors, which are essential for a band.

:thu:

That's quite the generalization you are throwing out there. As for the rest, monitors will be useful as ummm, monitors when you gig. The powered mixer can either just stay at the practice spot full time, or could be used to run monitors, power a bass guitar, used as a keyboard amp, etc. A small $100 passive mixer wouldn't be much use for gigging. (maybe to mix multiple keys)

• Members

That's quite the generalization you are throwing out there. As for the rest, monitors will be useful as ummm, monitors when you gig. The powered mixer can either just stay at the practice spot full time, or could be used to run monitors, power a bass guitar, used as a keyboard amp, etc. A small $100 passive mixer wouldn't be much use for gigging. (maybe to mix multiple keys)

Yes... but the system I suggested would work, wouldn't it? It would be new and probably sound better than the carvin system. Sure, you would not have a huge mixing board, but that little $90 Yamaha would do the trick for practicing and maybe be put to use somewhere down the line. It would not be a big investment at only $90, so if they ended up never using it later on, they could sell it and not take a huge hit on it. If they drop a significant amount on a powered mixer, they would have to get their money back or put it to a lot of use to justify the expense. Plus, you mention that the mixer might possibly remain permanantly at the practice location, so the Yamaha would work for that. The op only stated he need a few inputs and the Yamaha has 10. And on the Carvin system, you would also have to wedge those speakers up to use them as monitors because they appear to be square, whereas the Peavey PR-12P are built to be monitors and have a kit to asist you. And I would ask the guy selling that Carvin system if those speakers are stand-mountable, which is key, because from their looks it does not look like it and the seller is not offering any speaker stands with the purchase. You want to have the option of mounting those speakers on stands above people's heads so that the sound can be projected well. Also, if you only spent $90 on a mixer now, you could save up and get a larger, better quality mixing board later on when funds allow. Then move the Peavey PR-12Ps to monitor duty and buy a good high quality professional sound system for FOH. Idk, I think it would work...

• Members

I had good luck starting out with a system like this:

Monitors: Yamaha SM12's (really nice for vocals!)

Mixer: Mackie 1402 VLZ, or the 1202 version

Amp: QSC RMX850

These are all good parts, and I like separates for expandablity. Keeps ups with drummer, guitars, and bass, both for 'old guys' classic rock, and a teenage band with a heavy hitting drummer. With carefull and patient shopping for used gear, this shouldn't bust the upper end of your price range.

Good luck to you!

• Members

Yes... but the system I suggested would work, wouldn't it? It would be new and probably sound better than the carvin system. I think it would work...

Indeed... it would work. And for the reasons you state, might be the best choice. I would almost rather see then only get a single powered speaker even, and a BETTER one maybe. They have to ask themselves what they want to end up with IN THE END, and go for whatever can be a part of that.

Probably in the final analysis, SPEAKERS have more impact on how the system ends up sounding than any other part of it. Always buy the best speakers you can possibly afford, you will never regret this... although you may ALWAYS REGRET buying cheap ones.

• CMS Author

Sure it's a generalization...we've only got general info to work with. If you'd like to compare two specific examples, that would be fine too. For instance, a PR-15N doesn't sound as good as a PR-15PN unless you find a way to biamp it by adding two decently matched amps and an active crossover. That cost puts you way above the price of a PR-15PN.

Using pole-mountable wedges is an excellent idea. They work for FOH for the small rig, and when you get bigger FOH speakers, you use them for wedges instead of selling them off at a loss. And you have the bonus of still using them at the coffeehouse gigs and house parties where you don't want to drag out the big rig. I'm a big proponent of getting 4 wedges...use two for FOH, two for mons for small gigs, and use all four as floor wedges for large gigs...you can rent racks 'n stacks inititially for that "first big gig", and as the rig grows, you've got all that flexibility.

The $100 passive mixer can remain in service for the small gigs, as a practice room mixer, or as a submixer. And if you don't have these needs as the band grows, big deal...it's only a $100 loss if you use it as a doorstop, less if you sell it. Looking at a potential loss of only $50-100 on an initial PA investment is pretty damned good IMHO.

• Members

Sure it's a generalization...we've only got general info to work with. If you'd like to compare two specific examples, that would be fine too. For instance, a PR-15N doesn't sound as good as a PR-15PN unless you find a way to biamp it by adding two decently matched amps and an active crossover. That cost puts you way above the price of a PR-15PN.

Using pole-mountable wedges is an excellent idea. They work for FOH for the small rig, and when you get bigger FOH speakers, you use them for wedges instead of selling them off at a loss. And you have the bonus of still using them at the coffeehouse gigs and house parties where you don't want to drag out the big rig. I'm a big proponent of getting 4 wedges...use two for FOH, two for mons for small gigs, and use all four as floor wedges for large gigs...you can rent racks 'n stacks inititially for that "first big gig", and as the rig grows, you've got all that flexibility.

The $100 passive mixer can remain in service for the small gigs, as a practice room mixer, or as a submixer. And if you don't have these needs as the band grows, big deal...it's only a $100 loss if you use it as a doorstop, less if you sell it. Looking at a potential loss of only $50-100 on an initial PA investment is pretty damned good IMHO.

Exactly! This basically sums up everything I was trying to say! I agree with CraigV. :thu:

Archived