Mixer Hook-Up Help

• Members

I'm not sure how to do this, but was hoping someone could help. Our drummer has a small mixer that he wants to use mic his drum's. I assume that he would run the mic's to the small mixer, then I run this to the main mixer. How do I connect this to main mixer? Would I take the main out from the drum mixer to a channel input in the main mixer. And then use this fader to control overall sound and volume. The main mixer is a mackie CFX12, thanks for any help.

• CMS Author

Yes, that's how you do it. This is called "submixing", and it's pretty commonly done with drums and multiple kepyboards when the artist wants more control, or there's a shortage of inputs on the main mixer.

If you want, you can also use an auxiliary return instead of a channel return, but only if the Mackie's return is balanced (see the owner's manual). If it's not balanced, then only a short cable can be used lest you run into noise problems.

• Members

Craigv, thanks for your help, submixing was the name that I could'nt remember when I was searching prior to the post, and congrats on becoming a moderator. I have read alot of your post's and have learned alot from you and others,

Archived