Yamaha emx312sc phantom power

• Members

I have been looking at small powered mixers. The Yamaha emx312sc looks like about what I would want at a price that I can afford. However, I see that it supplies 15V phantom power. My condensor mics take 48V. Am I correct that this will present problems in the quality of sound reproduction when using condensor mics? Should I view this as adequate reason to pass on the Yamaha? I've used other Yamaha equipment and always liked it, so I would be favorably disposed to the brand, but I don't want something that just isn't up to the job.

• Members

I have been looking at small powered mixers. The Yamaha emx312sc looks like about what I would want at a price that I can afford. However, I see that it supplies 15V phantom power. My condensor mics take 48V. Am I correct that this will present problems in the quality of sound reproduction when using condensor mics? Should I view this as adequate reason to pass on the Yamaha? I've used other Yamaha equipment and always liked it, so I would be favorably disposed to the brand, but I don't want something that just isn't up to the job.

Well, there are a number of reasons why you should pass on the Yamaha and only one of them is the fact that your not going to be able to power ALL condensor mics with it (better mixers have 48v phantom power). Condesors can be trouble with feedback though....

Yamaha powered mixers are reliable, but that particular model is very limited in both power, channels etc, particularly for the ~$450 new price tag. 300watts per channel is light on power, particularly if you ever add monitors. And that spec is probably inflated a bit.

I see 8 mic inputs, 4 of which have "stereo" and other funky routing. None of the channels allow you to set trim/gain before level - a nice feature for getting max system gain before feedback.

You are much better off IMO getting eiother a more powerful and feature laden powered mixer for another $100 or, even better, getting a separate power amp (QSC 850 or 1450) and an 8 channel Peavey FX mixer.

If you still want the convenience of a powered mixer (at the cost of flexibility, scalability, power, channels etc.), your best bet new is the Peavey XR8600 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-XR-8600-Powered-Mixer?sku=631374 or used, it's predecessor the Peavey XR696.

For the extra $100 or so, you will be MUCH happier with these mixers

Archived