Need an amp match?

• Members

This is a cheap B rig we're gonna purchase 2- PR15's and 2- PR15subs and 2- Peavey 12" powered floor wedges and a Peavey PV 14 mixer(we know it's entry level). We need an amp to match the PR15 tops and PR15 subs. This is for practice and small crowds of 50 and under. The reason for subs at practice is because we have electric drums need the extra low end for the electric drums. According to specs. the PR15 mid/hi's can handle 400 programed and we're confused on the PR15 subs because the the ad states 400 programed but the PDF manual said's 300 watts maybe Dboomer might can clear this up. And according to the ad the subs doesn't need an external x-over because it states has built in x-over. We just won't to make sure that we get a good match for both cabs per side at a 4 ohm load. Thanks in advance. Btw I forgot we do have a DBX 215 EQ if that matters.

• Members

QSC RMX-1450 or with care the 2450.

Peavey CS1400 or 2000 w/ same caution.

Those are all 8 ohm cabinets right? This would work well with 2 tops on one side and to subs on the other and an active crossover would make a pretty nice little B rig. An active x-over is a big improvement IMO.

• Members

There were some misprinted specs and then some updated component specs in the PR series speakers. I THINK the 400 watts program is right but it's best to get that from a Peavey tech. You don't have to wait for Don to show up. www.peavey.com has their own Pro Audio Forum and all the details are searchable there.

AFAIK, the "crossover" in the sub is just a low pass filter so the tops would overlap the whole sub range. Best to get an active crossover and do it right.

Boomerweps

• CMS Author

300-400w per speaker, using an active crossover, should work just fine. I've heard this rig powered with an RMX2450...one side on subs one on tops, and it sounded pretty good. The subs are not going to collapse a lung anytime soon, but for small molded 15's they do what they need to do...give a little thump, round out the bottom end and take the load off the tops.

I would use PR-12's for tops since you've got subs in mind.

• Members

The correct rating is 400w program for the current PR series. At one time the old series was rated at 300W program but it was upped.

You should look at either the PV1500 or PV2600 power amp. I think you'd get the most bang but running one side for the subs and one side for the tops using the built-in electronic crossover in the amp.

• Members

we're gonna purchase

Does this mean you haven't bought the system yet? Or you just bought it all and are wondering what else you need? Well, if you haven't bought it yet, I would highly suggest getting 2 pairs of the powered Peavey PR-12Ps (two speakers for mains and two speakers for monitors). The active Peavey speakers are biamped, which would sound a lot better than trying to match a single amp to them. Then all you have to do is get a good amp that would match the subs... something like the PV-1500 should do. Plus, with 4 matching speakers, when you go to the larger places that already have a good FOH system but a crappy monitor system, you will have 4 good monitors so you can hear yourselves!

Good Luck!

:thu:

• Members

hey guys recon my Crown XLS 602 could power these cabs it's 600w per side at 4ohms. I'm assuming the tops would have 600w at 300 a piece and the subs 600w at 300w peice just a thought. According to the specs. on this amp claims 600w per channel at 4 ohms in stereo. Should work figured I would run by you more experienced sound folks.

• CMS Author

hey guys recon my Crown XLS 602 could power these cabs it's 600w per side at 4ohms. I'm assuming the tops would have 600w at 300 a piece and the subs 600w at 300w peice just a thought. According to the specs. on this amp claims 600w per channel at 4 ohms in stereo. Should work figured I would run by you more experienced sound folks.

Yes, that should work.

• Members

we're gonna purchase

Once again, HAVE YOU BOUGHT THE SYSTEM YET? If you haven't bought everything yet, it might be worth getting 2 pairs of the powered Peavey PR-12Ps (two speakers for mains and two speakers for monitors) instead of the passive versions. The active Peavey speakers are biamped, which would sound a lot better than trying to match a single amp to them. If your tops were active, then you could use your Crown XLS-602 to power the subs cuz 300-400 watts @ 8 ohms would work out perfectly for those subs I think. Plus, with 4 matching powered speakers, when you go to the larger places that already have a good FOH system but a crappy monitor system, you will have 4 good monitors so you can hear yourselves!

Good Luck either way!

• Members

Once again, HAVE YOU BOUGHT THE SYSTEM YET? If you haven't bought everything yet, it might be worth getting 2 pairs of the powered Peavey PR-12Ps (two speakers for mains and two speakers for monitors) instead of the passive versions. The active Peavey speakers are biamped, which would sound a lot better than trying to match a single amp to them. If your tops were active, then you could use your Crown XLS-602 to power the subs cuz 300-400 watts @ 8 ohms would work out perfectly for those subs I think. Plus, with 4 matching powered speakers, when you go to the larger places that already have a good FOH system but a crappy monitor system, you will have 4 good monitors so you can hear yourselves!

Good Luck either way!

Yea we already have 2 powered PV wedges and already have the PR15 tops and PR15 subs. I own a Crown XLS 602 amp and I also own the 2 PV 12" powered floor wedges our guitarist owns the PR cabs. Just not sure if the amp would be a good match. But I'm thinking it could work since the amp rating is 600w per side at 4 ohms dunno yet, that's why I posted here first just wanna make sure since the cabs aren't mine and I don't have money to replace if you know what I mean.

Archived