Static Discharge into Gear

• Members

for the past week anytime i walk across thr floor and touch the mixer, amp, etc i get a large POP through the system. it is static electricity from walking on the rug. i have tried discharging myself into something before touching the equipment but this does not help. also, i just touched the DESK (wood) and heard this same discharge through the speakers. it is fairly loud.

i have checked and swapped power cables (the iec type) and do have everything going into one power strip - then to the wall.

this only happens where i teach, it does not happen on my similar setup at home.

is this a grounding issue, or is it simply the dry cold air? i cannot influence the air conditions at work.

• Members

hm i have this issue in one room of the radio studio where I work, just the static no poping issues. I tested the grounds on everything, it seemed fine, but I don't ever have any issues in the other room (same low pile commercial carpet). It has an isolated ground system which is completely a mystery to me (as in there is no documetation or indication of how it actually works). I always attributed it to a peculiarity of this.

• Members

i'm not worried about the amp or the mixer, its the NS10's i'm a little wary of. i've actually never seen a nearfield tweeter blow but ive witnessed live gear (16 t-252's all at once) lose the horns over a pop such as this. it comes through the nearfields very loud. i have seen midfields lose their horns in studios though.

i just talked to a maintanence person here and he said the discharge is because its very dry right now (duh, but at least i have a witness). its been holding below zero for a while outside.

maybe i can request a cool mist humidifier. that should help maybe?

i would think the discharge should go straight to ground, but its going through the audio signal.

the connection between the mixer and amp is unbalanced, due to the amp having unbalanced inputs. unfortunate.

• Members

Humidifier (the hot water vaporisor) is better because the mineral particulates don't get dispersed through the room air. That will completely eliminate your problem. The only issue is if you have cold windows/frames that will condense the water out of the air.

• Members

the windows were long ago covered by a suspicious 1" or so thick compressed fiber substance (not fiberglass, or if so not any like i have seen, not OC701 or anythng like that).

i'll bring this idea up. i have a hot style vaporizer at home and it works great when we need it.

this idea will likely hit the fan, in which case it may be easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission if you know what i mean.

Archived