Killer deals on big soundcraft boards?

• Members

I've been watching some boards on ebay. I've seen several bigger soundcraft boards go for what I think is quite cheap. I am mistaken? Or is the 24 channel size to big for a giging band, and too small for a music venue or club?

Here is one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230086270068&rd=1&rd=1

Here is another:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150087782920&rd=1&rd=1

And this one I saw relisted becuase nobody bid on it the first time around:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220078580664&rd=1&rd=1

Also wondering if anyone has had expierence with this board:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140080772498&rd=1&rd=1

• Members

Wow, that's cheap.

The only problem with those consoles is after that many years, they do need overhauling. The 500 had the overhaul done, and if it's (really) in good shape then it's a steal IF it serves your needs. Same for the LX-7

The problem is that the larger companies are selling off gear that's long in the tooth and the market for larger old gear is quite limited, especially if it's in rough shape. In mint condition, to the right buyer it could be worth $2-3k.

• Members

and do you know anything about the Allen & Heath GL2 series? I checked them out on the web. Are the a precoursor to the Mixwiz? Never heard of them or seem them around. Has anybody used one of these before? Any quality issues I should know about?

• CMS Author

and do you know anything about the Allen & Heath GL2 series? I checked them out on the web. Are the a precoursor to the Mixwiz? Never heard of them or seem them around. Has anybody used one of these before? Any quality issues I should know about?

I think it's the series right before the Mixwizard, but check on A&H's website in the "veterans" section to see if they have more info on it.

That really did look like some great deals on the Soundcrafts. I'm not a big fan of the LX-7, but for that price I'd prob have pulled the trigger, and definitely would have tried for the 500.

Next time...heads up *before* the auction ends, okay??:D :D :D

• CMS Author

The GL2 was the precursor to the GL2400, well at least if the GL4 numbering scheme holds true across that line. almost the same just doesnt have some of the upgraded features.

I don't think so. Look at the GL2 posted (with 30 count 'em 30 missing knobs!!). It's a MW14:4:2 for all intents and purposes.

The precursor to the GL-2400 was the GL2200, before that I think there is a GL-2000

• Members

GL-2, GL2000 (IIRC), GL2200, GL2400

The GL2 & exp. the GL-3 was pretty rough in the reliability department. Also pretty mechanically so-so.

Are you talking loose jacks, noisy pots, loose knobs? Right now we're using a Yamaha MG with the same number of inputs.... It seems like this would be a good upgrade without any real cost (once we sold the Yamaha)

Thoughts?

• Members

wow... I thought with all the aux sends (we have only 2) and the eg with sweeps, as well as the direct outs and 4 groups that the GL2 would give us lots more routing options as well as more monitor mixes.

(we're using the Yamaha MG16/4 w/ 1 subgroup)

So it sounds like you've heard some real horror stories with these boards huh?? I definately want to heed our advice...just curious why its not much of an upgrade.

Thanks in advance!

• Members

The boards you have found are selling cheap, and some might be a good deal, but I can tell you why they sell cheap.

I am a smaller local provider, and I would not buy any of the boards that you listed because they are too old and I do not know they're history. As a rental shop, I cannot afford to take a chance, and have a console die on me in the field. Any serious touring band is also in the same position, and that makes the market for these boards quite small. We currently have a MixWiz, a GL3-32 and a GL2000-32. We will be selling the GL3 soon and replacing it with a Soundcraft GB4-32. Why?...Because it is newer, and has a slightly nicer feature set (8 auxes, and 32 inputs plus 4 stereo inputs). We bought the GL3 new, and have kept it in perfect working order, but it is now old enough that we believe that it should be replaced.

• Members

Thanks for the comments. Keep in mind the price I'm talking as well as the use. My band plays approx. once a month for around 200 people in an old ballroom/bar.

The MixWiz is ultimately what I think would be perfect for our band. Especially 16 XLR inputs as opposed to 10, but they sell new for 1000, and then used often go for 600 dollar range. So that's quite a difference.....

pics:

myspace.com/subltegroove

I hate to do this, but I am keeping my eye on another GL2 that looks to be in excellent condition. I may be able to get it for 150-200 bucks. I could sell our Yamaha and it would be roughly a wash money-wise....

• CMS Author

Thanks for the comments. Keep in mind the price I'm talking as well as the use. My band plays approx. once a month for around 200 people in an old ballroom/bar.

The MixWiz is ultimately what I think would be perfect for our band. Especially 16 XLR inputs as opposed to 10, but they sell new for 1000, and then used often go for 600 dollar range. So that's quite a difference.....

pics:

myspace.com/subltegroove

I hate to do this, but I am keeping my eye on another GL2 that looks to be in excellent condition. I may be able to get it for 150-200 bucks. I could sell our Yamaha and it would be roughly a wash money-wise....

Look in eBay...two days ago I spotted a retailer selling new MW16:2 v3 for $869, $25 shipping (at least to me in PA). This would be a 10%+ discount, not too shabby. If there's a Guitar Center in your area, you could probably bargain your way to the same price. It's not $600, but it's better than $1000 and it's for new.

• Members

There needs to be a pretty good spread between an older new board and a new board (or the same quality) or you are taking a pretty good risk. I just had an older Yamaha come into the shop on trade-in, and it needs all new switches (known problem, poor part vendor) so after replacing 100 or so switches it may not be the deal that it seems (except we knew that upon taking the board in and have the parts in stock). There's quite a bit of labor involved in this and unless the board is discounted accordingly, would be an expensive alternative to a new model. The cost of repair alone would be over $500.

• Members

There needs to be a pretty good spread between an older new board and a new board (or the same quality) or you are taking a pretty good risk. I just had an older Yamaha come into the shop on trade-in, and it needs all new switches (known problem, poor part vendor) so after replacing 100 or so switches it may not be the deal that it seems (except we knew that upon taking the board in and have the parts in stock). There's quite a bit of labor involved in this and unless the board is discounted accordingly, would be an expensive alternative to a new model. The cost of repair alone would be over $500.

O.k. I'll trust you! For the record here is the board I was looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120083740560&rd=1&rd=1

I'm trusting that I won't see any of you bidding on it, given this thread:D

We'll wait till our E.P. comes out then start saving for the MixWiz.

• Members

For a couple hundred dollars it may be a ood deal (provided it all works upon receiving it), then if it fails down the road, it's your problem. If it's not working or has problems, it's worth maybe a hundred dollars. The unfortunate thing is the details may not be adequately conveyed to you.

• Members

For a couple hundred dollars it may be a ood deal (provided it all works upon receiving it), then if it fails down the road, it's your problem. If it's not working or has problems, it's worth maybe a hundred dollars. The unfortunate thing is the details may not be adequately conveyed to you.

O.k. The band is short on funds right now anyways (currently recording our first 5 song E.P.) So I'll stick with what we have. Spread the word around about the board if anyone is looking for a cheap recording mixer with direct-outs!!

Archived