Need opinions on Fender 115XP speakers

• Members

I have seached this forum and can't seem to find any information about Fender 115XP PA speakers. I have found a pair that are in great condition and they are being considered for my church Praise & Worship group. It seems that they are rated at 200W which is probably enough for our application. The church seats about 300 people and we sometimes play outside. We currently use Yamaha monitor cabinets which sound fine by themselves, and the church/house PA system which is not very satisfactory. We get lots of feedback problems and I think part of the reason is that the house PA just isn't well suited to music. We're thinking that a separate PA for the Praise & Worship group will provide a big improvement. Can anyone offer up an opinion on our situation in general and on these speakers specifically.

Thanks in advance,

JR

• Members

The house system consists of an amp and one speaker (probably a 15 with a horn) that hangs from the ceiling. The Pastor's clip-on mic and the mic at the lector's podium are fed into the house system along with the signal from our powered mixer. None of the equipment is very old, but it's just a real hodge-podge affair. I suspect the original goal was to have the least expensive PA cover as much need as possible.

The room is "hard" and I suspect that is also part of the feedback problem. Even with our own PA we may have a feedback problem, but I think it would be easier to control. It seems to me that we are trying to use this house PA system to accomplish more than it is designed to do.

Thanks for your help,

JR

• Members

those aren't bottom of the line junk with Piezo tweeters, They're not bad actually. The Squier series was pretty much junk. They made two different versions, one is trapezoid and looks like a silver face amp, the other a rectangular black tolex covered box. Both have dual ceramic compression driver horns and decent speakers, Eminence. 300/600 watts. 8 Ohms. They sound fine. Sort of heavy.

I'm the Audio Engineer for Fender Center in Corona and a couple pair of those get beat up at least 3 times per week with student bands and haven't blown, sound fine. Depends on the price... I own and use Yamaha club series on my B rig for my own business and prefer them in sound, size and weight.

• Members

those aren't bottom of the line junk with Piezo tweeters, They're not bad actually. The Squier series was pretty much junk. They made two different versions, one is trapezoid and looks like a silver face amp, the other a rectangular black tolex covered box. Both have dual ceramic compression driver horns and decent speakers, Eminence. 300/600 watts. 8 Ohms. They sound fine. Sort of heavy.

That's not what the manual says:

• 5/8" particleboard

Dual piezoelectric compresson drivers

15" woofer, 2.5" VC

Power Handling 150W (RS-426A), 300 program, 600 peak

That's the silverface trap: http://fender.com/support/manuals/pdfs/manuals_elec/fenderaudio/110_112_115XP.pdf

Seems most Fenders I've seen from that era are equipped with one of those dual-manifold piezo horns (and were pretty sub-par).

• Members

I'm the Audio Engineer for Fender Center in Corona and a couple pair of those get beat up at least 3 times per week with student bands and haven't blown, sound fine. Depends on the price... I own and use Yamaha club series on my B rig for my own business and prefer them in sound, size and weight.

Ok, so the silver ones have Piezo horns. I stand corrected. We have the 3 pairs of black ones and they sound fine, as I stated above. Depends on the price. They work. I use, and hear them being used with the Fender Kids Rock Free program bands every week. They've continued to work and sound decent enough for the past 4 years running 50 weeks per year, 5 bands.

• Members

Ok, so the silver ones have Piezo horns. I stand corrected. We have the 3 pairs of black ones and they sound fine, as I stated above. Depends on the price. They work. I use, and hear them being used with the Fender Kids Rock Free program bands every week. They've continued to work and sound decent enough for the past 4 years running 50 weeks per year, 5 bands.

Price for the 115XP pair is $200 and they are in like new condition. I'm thinking that they will be much better than what we currently have in our church setting, which is essentially one speaker hanging from the ceiling. In a perfect world we would have unlimited funds, but I don't see that happening in our future. I know there are speakers that are more highly rated, but much of the used gear I see is in rough condition and probably not cosmetically acceptable in a church situation.

What do you think?

Thanks for your help,

JR

Archived