What's the difference?

• Members

Okay, I'm a young aspiring musician, I have a small powered mixer, but it only has four channels and one main EQ. I'm looking into a nicer one. Musiciansfriend along with everyone else has powered and unpowered mixers. whats the difference between the two?:confused:

• Members

well the basic parts you ahve in a system is mic -- to mixer--- to amp --- to speaker.

this is what are are doing already.

sometimes, the designers think it is a good idea to put soem of these parts together. you can get "powered mixers" in so far as the amp is built in to the mixer.

you can also get powered speakers .. where the amp is built in to teh speakers.

Sometimes, them put all 3 together, and you get a (very) small mixer on teh back of a speaker, with amp. :)

there are draw backs though, IF you had a powered mixer, you would need a new one if you wanted to get a bigger amp.

I usally don't sugest that people get powered mixers. I think the resale is poor, the flexiblity is poor, and the amps built in are not usally of high power rateing. They are however, 1 less thing to hook up .

Kev.

• Members
Okay, I'm a young aspiring musician, I have a small powered mixer, but it only has four channels and one main EQ. I'm looking into a nicer one. Musiciansfriend along with everyone else has powered and unpowered mixers. whats the difference between the two?
:confused:

Serious? One requires a power amp, one doesn't.

Archived