Why does my amp sound bad through my PA?

• Members

I have a small PA system, 100 watts, coffeeshop size. I try plugging the Line-out from my amp into my mixer, and it sounds like crap. all distorted and fuzzy. Are amps simply not supposed to run through PA's? or is there something I can do about it without buying an amp mic?

• Members

if your useing the "line out" then you are providing (hopefully) a signal that is about the same level as a CD player would.

are there red lights flashing??? that is bad, ..."sir, have you ever known a red light to be good"....

likly what you have done is add teh line in to a channel, but the "gain" on teh pre amp at the top of that channel is to high, cause the signal to over drive.

.. kinda like going 80 mph in first gear.

KEv.

• Members

Another factor you might want to consider is that the speaker cabinet and more specifically the speakers you normally use for your amp,color the sound. Without them in the signal path, the sound you hear can be quite different. So when you run your amp direct to the PA you're not hearing that extra "color" that the guitar amp's speakers and cabinet normally add to the sound.

• Members

So I just keep the gain on the mixer (only the channel i'am using) low, and the gain on my amp normal?

Well ya, your amp gain has nothing to do with this. That is for setting your amp tone. What was being addressed was to make sure the signal from the amp is not clipping the input on the mixer. That sounds horrible. Also, is the line out on the amp cab voiced/speaker emulated? If it isn't, the tone is going to be pretty harsh w/o some major EQ-ing there.

Archived