Vocal Mic?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vocal Mic?

Time to upgrade from Shures SM58's.

Need more info. What type of music? How loud is your stage volume? Monitors? Wedges? Budget? How many open vocal mics?
    Engineers are retarded. They have some kind of brain damage that allows them to not have social skills so they can concentrate long enough to write code.

Jim Reeks

Comment

By the way, I think the beta 87C is a much better sounding Mic than the 87A. The top end is not as brittle, and if you dump 10K in the wedge its pretty stable.
      Engineers are retarded. They have some kind of brain damage that allows them to not have social skills so they can concentrate long enough to write code.

Jim Reeks

Comment

Need more info. What type of music? How loud is your stage volume? Monitors? Wedges? Budget? How many open vocal mics?

Rock music, 4 monitors, 3 vocal mics. Everything miced. Vocals and guitar in monitors only. $300 max per mic.

Comment

I have not personally used the 87. I like the Beta 58's much better for my voice than the SM58.
          Still Kickin' cancer's ass....Blue Water Sailors of the Vietnam WarHCGB Trooper #246Psalm 19 SocietyI can't really imagine experiencing the desire for multiple women; one has proven to be taxing enough as it is.Thanks Offy

Comment

Beta 87 is a nice mic but way more money than SM58. When I am spending other peoples money I buy Beta 87 alot. When I spend my money I buy SM-58. I look at upgrading sound systems as finding the weakest link. Find what is making you sound less than perfect. The SM-58 is not the first place I look.

And just in case I was unclear:
            I LOVE BETA 87's
            WINNER of the brake post of the century award 12/02/2008

Spector NS-2B (kramer era korean NS7718)
            Tube Works MosValve 1500
            Squire Telecaster
            Epiphone Valve Junior
            custom 210 guitar cabinet

Comment

B58 is probably as good of a choice as any, I am not a fan of any of the 87's for rock vocals though (I would choose an SM-58 over an 87 here) but if you are not happy with the SM-58, perhaps money would be better spent finding out and correcting another deficiency you might have that's making the SM-58 less desireable for you? Maybe it's a monitor problem, or an operational problem (specifically monitor eq opertation?)

What specifically do you NOT like about the SM-58?
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

i specifically do not like the fact that sm58's seem to roll around in the 400-800hz range quite a bit. this can be butchered out with eq to some extent.

they tend to sound nasaly to me and lack definition.

i also am highly suspect about the claim that they are a cardioid patterned mic. i beleive this affects the 400-800hz mucky-muck.

the beta58a is a slight improvement, in at least it has a tighter pattern imho.

i really do not like sm86 or beta87 series.

all this said, i bought a beta57a. it's nice. guess i'm going straight to hell, i constantly rag on shure mics and i own 5 of them.

Comment

Coaster, it sounds like you may have other anomolies in your system causing you to hear this. I would certainly give this a second look.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Comment

this is not one system, at least 7 i have access to. also notice it on television broadcasts, other folks rig's, especially tenacious D live performances. i knew they were using 58's long before they showed the mic anywhere near up close.

dont like 'em, dont like 'em, dont like 'em.

Comment

Ok, maybe you have a hearing issue? Have you had your hearing checked recently? (Note to everyone... this is always a good idea to be sure you have a baseline to judge hearing changes from).

I don't hear in a 58 what you describe, and I did have my hearing tested at NAMM in January so I know it's good (excellent actually), so if it's something that obvious to you, I would take a step back and see why you don't like it so much. Maybe it's just that you are more sensitive in that range and it's not your personal cup of tea, but if you are more sensitive and tend to cut that out (or choose a mic with a dip there) then you may not be hearing what the representative audience is hearing. This is why it's important to get your ears checked. (Aside from other possible serious health/damage issues of course)

Comment

calling out my hearing is a bit extreme.

anyways,

i beleive it has to do with the pattern of the mic and over-loud wedges. there is a certain feedback in the 400-800 range that sounds like a "58 howl", even when dipped in that area. as a result, i hear this ring amplified in the pa. it tends to not happen at all if an artist uses in-ears.

also, this does not happen with a "for certain" cardioid mic and an over-loud wedge, but it will happen with a pg48.

now when i say 'over-loud' wedge, i mean if i am anywhere near that thing i cant stand it. i dont know how these people can stand in front of those, and this is most folks i deal with.

even shure doesnt seem to call the sm58 a cardioid mic, they seem to call it 'unidirectional'. everytime i take apart a 'unidirectional' mic i find a otherwise omni looking setup - no labrynth - no slots.

now i cannot conclusively state that an sm58 is not a cardioid mic, but based on my observations it is not.

i tend to not favor shure mics except in rare occasion, which is why i only own 5.

Comment

I'm not being extreme here, so don't take it as such. I am commenting that what you are experiencing is different than my experiences and that checking your hearing is always a good idea if you haven't done it recently. Just to be sure you aren't chasing the wrong problem. Maybe it's the combination of your system(s?) and your ears? If you are happy with your solution then that's good.

As far as the 58 being cardiod, that refers to the directionality (polar) pattern that the mic exhibits, which is most certainly cardiod. If you look closely, there are equalizing passages located behind the screen that holds the capsule into the housing, right at the base of the windscreen.

Don't take my comments personally, that's not how they are intended. EVERYONE should get their hearing tested... actually a physical probably isn't such a bad idea either [checks schedule for opening].

Comment

i'll take your word on those slots, i've never seen them but i havent looked incredibly hard. i can easily see them on many other mics though. on the 58's i just find a large black tube in a suspension inside the ball.

if i have one good thing to say about the sm58, they do have a rather low handling noise.

Comment

Hmmm... I'd have to say, I don't share your experiences with the SM-58. OK, it's not the Ultimate Mic, but it's really quite good on just about anybody. And on some people it sounds just exactly right.

In general I'm not a fan of the Beta58 because it's got a more exaggerated top and also more proximity effect, both of which tend to cause problems for me.
                              "I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile"

Comment

Working...
                              X