Why does a compressor mic sound better than a dynamic cardiod mic?

• Members

I have an SM58, great for live performance, but obviously not for recording purposes. All the fancy recording mics say they're compressor mics, whats the difference?? Can anyone recommend a good recording mic for acoustic/alt. rock music?

I think you mean condenser mic. As far as recording goes, nothing wrong with using an SM58 if give you a good vocal track. Many famous vocals have been laid-down with SM58's (and less worthy mics). If you want something to pickup every breath and nuance of your voice for more vocal oriented tracks, check the recording forum for suggestions. There is a ton of advice on Studio Projects, Rode, and a bunch of others all the way up to Neumann high dollar stuff.

• Members

I can see the OP is new to the forum and has a low-post count. A quick trip to the profile let's me know the OP is an up-an-coming sound ace currently in high school. First, welcome to the forum!:thu: There are a bunch of great guys/gals who hang-out here and help each other out on a broad range of audio topics. Next, I'll offer a couple words of advice on how to best utilize this wonderful forum that we all have here:

1) Ask questions!! do your research and google searches FIRST but when you have a stumper bring it to the group...you'll find cooperative help.;)

2) Be humble and resist the urge to answer more questions than you ask.

3) Have a thick skin or find one laying around somewhere....you'll need it. This group of folks are a sarcasitic, call-a-dude-out, kinda bunch...but very good natured.

• Members

REALLY??

yes , everyone here is very helpful and helped me through my first gig. Without them it would have truely been a disaster...I was well prepared and equipped even down to the extra desk light I whipped out when the house lights went down so I could see the program!!

• Members

Yes, I was just giving you a taste of a reality check (a mini "life lesson"). Be respectful around here and learn like flank indicated in his post and you will quickly learn how to develop real skills and read between the lines for the real truths. Much of life's important information is between the lines.

Archived