Confused about mixers/power amps/monitors

• Members

I'am a bit confused on the subject, so this is how i think it goes.

You get an unpowered mixer, plug it in to the power amp, obviously. But power amps have two channels, does the the left & right from the mixer go into each channel? or is there stereo channel? And the monitors, can you spilt the output on the mixer so you can plug in two speakers and two monitors? Or do you need amps for the monitors too?

Please help, i'am only 14 and confused.

Thanks

• Members

I'am a bit confused on the subject, so this is how i think it goes.

You get an unpowered mixer, plug it in to the power amp, obviously. But power amps have two channels,
does the the left & right from the mixer go into each channel? or is there stereo channel?
And the monitors, can you spilt the output on the mixer so you can plug in two speakers and two monitors?
Or do you need amps for the monitors too?

Please help, i'am only 14 and confused.

Thanks

And you are the guy RECOMMENDING the Kustom 10" monitors??? Good grief guy, wait until you have enough experience and understanding about the basics BEFORE moving on to recommending things to others. Please.

• Members

Just a little reality check... holefully he will take it in stride and come back to learn a little before jumping in with recommendations such as this one.

Hi Alex and dont worry about what some ppl say, regardless of your age we can allways learn something from somebody and this is the place to give and ask for advise. As far as hooking your subs and mains that will work, just watch your ohms you dont want to get your ohms to low or BOOM!! short circuit. and you will need some kind of crossover to get the right signal to your subs (for good sound). Setting up a P.A. can be sooo fun!!

cheers,

Mark

• Members

you may be right, but he didn't need to say what he did. I just turned fourteen. I havn't even been playing for a year. what do you expect??

and by the way, the Kustom 10's work fine for me.
:)

Ahhh, they work fine for you. That's good, but just because they work fine for your particular application, doesn't mean they are a good choice for everyone.

I have a son who turns 14 shortly, I expect that he learns all he possibly can while showing his elders some respect and self control while learning. I also do understand your eagerness to participate, and I applaud you for taking up music. Keep at it and in a few years, you will realize how much you don't know (about this and life in general). I don't know if you would talk to someone older than you like you did to me in your posts, but the internet offers the ability to remain anonymous and thus become less respectful than in face to face communications.

You also don't know my experience, so for the record, I have been working in the audio industry as a touring and regional sound guy for almost 30 years, provide sound or production manage about 75 shows a year now, in venues from 1,000 to 10,000 seats. I am also an electrical engineer (meaning I went through many years of school including university) and design some of the very equipment we discuss here on this forum.

So why don't you think it over and maybe tomorrow will be a better day and you will have a better attitude?

• Members

and by the way, the Kustom 10's work fine for me.
:)

If it helps, heres a lesson I learned from my experience with cheap 10" monitors.

Me and some mates had just started a band a few years back, and the bassists dad had this "awesome mackie PA system". Why he thought it was awesome, I dont know, he'd obviously never compared the system to anything else, and his dads band played mostly mellow 60s covers.

But the system had cost a lot...well it hadn't really if you compare to what real SR stuff actually costs. But people who dont know the SR market just think its expensive (compared to consumer audio gear) therefore it must be good.

So when we got a gig in a fairly large hall, this "Awesome mackie PA" arrives, which is only 2 speakers on sticks above 2 15" subs, and a couple of unmarked 10" monitors.

Our first set we played fairly quiet, and the system sorta worked for us. By the time we did our second set however, the other band had turned the amps up, and you know guitarists, they wont turn them down. Also we'd been drinking a bit by that point. But there was no way those little monitors could cope with the demand that was put on them in that set. We;d just gotten by and no more in the first set keeping things really controlled and tamed down, but now we could hardly hear what we were playing for this distorted mess that was coming from the monitors. I half felt like kicking the cables out of the wedges, but they were t/s connectors that would have shorted and blown the old pa head that was powering them.

My lesson was learned, that day, gear performs VERY differently under real gigging conditions. This is where the cheap pap is seperated from the real gear.

Running some tapes through a monitor wedge in a music shop wont tell you if its any good

Singing through a monitor wedge at a low volume jam in your living room wont tell you if its any good (and at 14, you still can still think a low volume jam is loud, and your ears still ring after one, I remember well :) )

Belting out a song with a roaring guitar amp and a 21" AAX ride being used as a crash cymbal behind you, will tell you if your monitors any good

...for you.

I've read so many stories of dissapointment for the Kustom 10" monitor on this forum that that particular wedge almost seems to be a stereotype for cheap gear. If it works for you, great :) But I can see why Agedhorse would rap your knuckles for recommending it to anyone.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your time here.

Steve.

• Members

Back to the original question about how to use a power amp...

Power amps typically come "two in a chassis" - stereo left and right is the usual assumption. But you can usually just treat it as two mono power amps glued together, and use each amp for whatever you need. For small gigs it's fairly common to run the main speakers off one amp channel (maybe feed it from the L or R output of the mixer) and then use the other amp channel to run the monitors (one of the Aux outputs of the mixer).

• Members

Back to the original question about how to use a power amp...

Power amps typically come "two in a chassis" - stereo left and right is the usual assumption. But you can usually just treat it as two mono power amps glued together, and use each amp for whatever you need. For small gigs it's fairly common to run the main speakers off one amp channel (maybe feed it from the L or R output of the mixer) and then use the other amp channel to run the monitors (one of the Aux outputs of the mixer).

+1 for Scodiddly. Just because your board may be stereo (have a left and right output) doesn't mean that you should always use the stereo function (stereo doesn't usualy work that well in most small bar band type venues anyway (half of the people usualy miss half of the signal)). If you pan all of your input channels hard left and use the left output to your poweramp (as Scodiddly suggests) you will have a perfectly usable mono mains mix. This leaves the other half of the poweramp to be used to drive a couple of monitors form a pre aux send (sometimes labeled monitor) of your board. this gives you seperate control over your monitor mix (which is very important for keeping feedback to a minimum and giveing you a comfortable playing mix).

Hope this expansion on the subject helps.

Archived