Best buy pro audio equipments -entry level and mid level...

• Members

I'd like to ask the experts here on what you will perceive as the best buys for the following:

1) Power Amp - at least 600w at 4 Ohms

2) Passive 8 channel Mixer with built in effects

3) Passive 12" Speakers - (I know it's all about the driver's sensitivity...not how many watts it has that determines how loud it can produce)

I guess I can afford slightly above 'entry level'...and but not more than 'mid level' price equipments.

I dont wanna make a costly mistake by buying anything until I hear of some good and much needed advice from you guys.

How I wish I can buy a Midas venice though :love: ...but it's way above my pocket's ability :(

• Members

Peavey has products that will fit the bill, the PR-12's deserve looking at, and there's always the QSC RMX-2540 or maybe even the RMX-1450 might be close enough depending on the speakers (like the PR-12's).

Mixers... the Yamaha MG series is pretty tough to beat in that range but there are others to consider also, like the Mackies.

• Members

That's tough to say considering your location.

I would think that locally produced gear could offer some of the more cost effective solutions. I seem to remember that some Behringer gear is produced in your country.

See... here in the US, Chevy's have always seemed to me to be a decent product for the money... but if all vehicles were produced in another country and faced a stiff import duty tax... I might be driving a Daihatsu.

• Members

agedhorse...thanks for your advise. Appreciate it...as always.
:)

Hellinger...does not matter which country I am in. Do tell what brand and model you think are the best for me.
:)

I think what Mark is saying is that the distribution availability and price in your location may make some good product not so good of a value in that context.

• Members
I'd like to ask the experts here on what you will perceive as the best buys for the following:

1) Power Amp - at least 600w at 4 Ohms

2) Passive 8 channel Mixer with built in effects

3) Passive 12" Speakers - (I know it's all about the driver's sensitivity...not how many watts it has that determines how loud it can produce)

I guess I can afford slightly above 'entry level'...and but not more than 'mid level' price equipments.

I dont wanna make a costly mistake by buying anything until I hear of some good and much needed advice from you guys.

Yamaha P5000 is an excellent and very powerful amplifier that only weighs 26lbs. I'll second the PR12s as excellent 12'' cabs but will also suggest Yorkville NX35s. New Wharfedale Titans look awesome but will be slightly more aggressive than the PR12 and NX35 (though that can be good for live sound).For mixers, I love my Yamaha MG12 and PV10 mixers. The new MG line features compression on a few channels. Not sure how that works exactly though, but it would be excellent to be able to compress vocals for those screaming singers sometimes...Al

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=41589&Category=Speakers

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D545271%252526CTID%25253D560489,00.html

• Members

I think what Mark is saying is that the distribution availability and price in your location may make some good product not so good of a value in that context.

Correct... that's what I tried to explain.

About 6 weeks ago I test drove the Behringer B1520 PRO and was impressed, all the way around. They sounded better (to me) than anything I've heard in their league, very acceptable for a variety of applications, the cabinets are well designed, and they seem like the build quality is a-ok-fine. That was my impression BEFORE I found out the price. At roughly $225 a copy US... I was floored. My impression: these could be a very good value for an a-ok-fine product for many folks, and I'd recommend them in a heart-beat if the application fits. Judging by the sound, design, and seeming build quality, I expected a street price of possibly twice what it is. If it wasn't for my personal ethics values concerning the Behringer nameplate (which might be misguided), I'd probably buy 4 ea.

http://www.behringer.com/B1520-PRO/index.cfm?lang=ENG

• Members

Most folks around this place recommend as far as drivers go (speaker cabs) would be Yorkville, JBL, Yamaha, and Peavey all 4 companies make entry to mid level products. As far as mixers go most will recommend an A&H Mixwiz their a hard mixer to beat all around from a price point and features. Also Soundcraft,Yamaha, and Peavey also make great entry level to mid level mixers but kinda lack on routing options on some of their mixers compared with the Mixwiz. Amps top # 1 choice is QSC because great warranty and durability also included in the amp section depending on budget would be Crown, Peavey,and Yamaha's. Now with all all this gear you need cables to go with them and racks to put them in and best bang for the buck is Mark over at Audiopile it's hard to beat his cables and racks from a price point. As far as mics go that's pretty debatable because some like this or that you'll have to just try them out for yourself and pick one that suits your vox best. Their is one versatile mic for a lot of your back-line gear the SM57 is a great choice for micing guitar cabs and snare and even toms if need be. I sure most folks here will agree with me about the SM57 for micing out your backline gear. Now were down to Fx processors you'll need a decent EQ for the FOH and floor wedges (monitors) and again most will recommend DBX GEQ or a Rane GEQ also Peavey w/FLS has one for the less experience which features kind of a Feedback detector actually just it's lights up on which frequency to hot that can cause FB pretty handy feature for EQ-ing a system. That pretty much sums up some of your choices on which brands to purchase and the rest of the gear is just for Fx processing like Lexicon re verbs and delays,maybe a DBX comp/limiter for the bass and drums these are not must have in your system but more like adding the icing on the cake. But anyway just ask when you decide on your final choices of gear to buy most here are willing to help out. Hope this helps and peace out and good luck on your new purchase.

• Members

The 800 watt rating on the "B" speakers is definately not an RMS or continuous rating. The numbers are misleading and based on experience with the class of driver being used, I would expect a rating of around 200-300 watts RMS. Buyer beware. Also, have a close look at the warranty terms and conditions. Basically, you blow it you pay for the repair.

• Members

The 800 watt rating on the "B" speakers is definately not an RMS or continuous rating. The numbers are misleading and based on experience with the class of driver being used, I would expect a rating of around 200-300 watts RMS. Buyer beware. Also, have a close look at the warranty terms and conditions. Basically, you blow it you pay for the repair.

Yea... that was cute... "800-watt loudspeaker".

According to the specs, the "800-watt" number is "Power rating (Peak Program). Power rating (RMS) is published at 400 W. With the shop test, and what my buddy reported from the live performance tests suggests to us that they do fine with most of 400 watts... but it seemed counter productive to push them to the upper limit of what a 400w amp could deliver. I was suprised how good they did sound operating within what seemed to be their sweet spot, which seemed to be somewhere around hitting -6 to -3db peaks with a 400w amp.

• Members

Confirming my experience as well.

Some Sunday rambling:

You know... I've always gotten a kick out of specifications quoting a testing standard, but the testing standard specifics are difficult to obtain. Just what is an IEC 268-5 testing standard (short of paying $20 to buy the paperwork from the standard setters that explains)? I guess it actually doesn't matter what an IEC 268-5 testing standard is if the standard could be consistently counted on to remain a seemingly tangible standard... like the US Dollar. What is a dollar? We all agree the dollar is a standard worth what we all seem to agree upon because generally only "real" dollars are what we deal in, and there's an agency that's vigilant about eliminating counterfeit (phony) dollars so the standard actually has meaning... otherwise, the standard is useless... and society then creates their own common standards... much like what seems to be evolving in the SR world concerning watt ratings.

BTW: for those with inquiring minds, this is a pretty good read:

http://www.outline.it/articles_eng/OUT_Art_Watts_1.pdf

• Members

My application is 3 female singers, a Keyboardist. All channels are in mono. Only stereo channels are for the 2 CD players.

I require only 8 channels the most. Simple built in effects will be great. Alesis multimix USB 8 channel mizer sounds great to my ears with its 28 bit 100 effects. Small and so affordable. Is this ok?

Power amp...I'm looking at Phonic XP 3000. Cool looking silver faced amp. ALmost futuristic design. 1000w at 4ohms. It's also the most affordable amp based on its specs. I'm all for enough headroom...so I think at 1000w at 4ohms...I should have more than enough?

Wharferdale Titan? Hmm...never heard it yet.

Archived