Advice on monitor mixes needed

• Members

Hey everyone

Our little dilemma goes as follows. We have an acoustic band with three part harmony. One of the guys who sings with us tends to be a bit pitchy- he sings the high notes. What's interesting here is that it really only happens when we play through a PA system. When we practice in close quarters like my living room without the PA, he's pretty much on the money. Makes me think we need to mix the monitors in a certain way to help him hear what he hears without a PA. I know it sounds crazy but after two years that's what i've noticed. Since I run the board from the stage, it's up to me to mix the monitors. We have 2 separate aux sends on each channel so i can give him a separate monitor mix from everyone else. Any suggestions on whether i should let him hear his vocal louder or softer in HIS monitor mix? Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. (and we are friends so it's a bit of a touchy subject to approach.)

• Members

you could be right, but consider an alternate idea.

maybe he is nervous or otherwise affected by the real deal whereas he is comfortable in practice? i'm not bashing, this can be a real issue for anyone.

i know i take more risks in practice than i do on stage, safety net thing.

Archived