Need small but loud pa for around

• Members

I have got some great tips here in the past.

I couldn't find my old thread, but anyways, our current pa is aroun 1000 watts with 1x15" sub and 2 10" tops.

we now need something with more power but it definately needs to be small.

ideally the subs would be 12" (i saw electrovoice ones 400 watts each) and the tops would be 12" also.

Is there anything out there that would be small and relitavely light (bad back) but also pretty powerful.

upwards of 2000 watts or more if possible?

if anyone has any tips or can list the things i would need, power amps etc i would be very grateful.

• Members

You really need to get to 4000-watts to make a big difference. One band I play in runs out of Yorkville Elite powered boxes. 15", 500-watt tops and 18", 1500-watt subs. That would run $4000 US (thats like 2500 pounds. Right?)

Hey, how do I make a pound sign on this keyboard?

• Members

I guess the JBL PRX500 series stuff is available in the UK.

The Yorkville and JBL boxes I listed are powered boxes. They have power amps and processing built into the box. You do not (and should not) add any more power amps to them.

The only limit to how many you can hook up is how much AC power you can supply to them. Much like you cannot turn on the toaster, microwave, hair dryer, and blender all at the same time in a kitchen, you can only run as many boxes as you can get power to.

Most guys around here are recomending powered speakers these days. The amount of gear you get (Speaker, Amp, Crossover, Limiter, Component Delay, Parametric EQ) for the price is awesome. Most consumers of these products do not know how to run all the equipment the Powered Speakers have built in to them. They come pre-set so you just plug and go.

• Members

What speakers do you currently have (Brand/mde?(.

Perhaps, not worrying so much about ower and maybe looking at more efficient speakers is part of the equation. Powered speakers might also be your best bet.

You can't just kepp adding power beyond the real capacity of the speakers or costly failure will be the result.

• Members

well we might have the chance of buying the same system and the 2 combined would = 1600 watts.

or else buy the new system which would total 2000 watts.

so another question about that.

is it better to have 2 bass bins and 4 tops =1600 watts total.

or 1 bass bin and 2 tops = 2000 watts total?

thanks for your replys by the way.

Archived