Best mic for screams

• Members

I am buying a new mic and It would be great if you could point me some directions. Need it for vocals in metal band for a scream type vocal and also for melodic singing...but I think I don't need a crystal clear sound, maybe a warm sound, hmm...Don't know excactly. I need it for live gigs.

Any suggestions?

• Members

Alex...i agree with you. Go for one with a switch. Much better and more practical. Whenever my singers are not singing whilst on stage, they always switch off their mics to eliminate any potential feedback and stage noise.

yes.. and turning it on and off won't bother the engineer much... or the people in front of the speakers :thu:

• Members

I was also thinking about shure SM58 or beta58. Is the SM series better for this type of vocals? Didn't know that it doesn't have a power switch, thats almost a must if you ask me...even the PG series of Shure has it.

Did I understand wrong or could I get an SM58 with the switch?

What are my alternatives? Audio techinca, Beyer dynamics, AKG, Electro voice, Sennheiser?

• CMS Author

Please....forget about using a switch. If there's an engineer, he'll mute the channel if that's needed, but if the system is adjusted, there's no reason a mic sitting on a stand should suddenly start to feed back. It's a lot more likely a mic switched off might have a channel 'adjustment' made inadvertantly, and then cause trouble when it's switched on later...and then the sound man has no idea what's causing the trouble, as he didn't switch it on. The switch is also one more potential point of failure. Bad all the way around.

As for a specific mic, the Beta-58 can handle very high input pressures, so is a good choice for very strong singers....or screamers.

• Members

Personally, I always think the switch looks amateurish....don't really know why. As a sound guy, I imagine it could cause moments of confusion when I see a guy singing and no signal.:eek:

As far as a screaming mic...I'm sure the SM58 would be fine.

• CMS Author

Personally, I always think
the switch
looks amateurish....don't really know why. As a sound guy, I imagine it could cause moments of confusion when I see a guy singing and no signal.
:eek:

Probably because the common amateur-hour scenario is the mic switched off...or on...the singer/speaker walks up, says something, doesn't hear him/herself, says, "is this on" whilst cycling the switch on and off....meanwhile the poor dumb (because he provided a switched mic;)) sound guy is raising the gain if he also didn't hear the person, or cycling his mute on/off....feedback and hilarity ensues..... :eekphil:

• Members

Please....forget about using a switch. If there's an engineer, he'll mute the channel if that's needed, but if the system is adjusted, there's no reason a mic sitting on a stand should suddenly start to feed back. It's a lot more likely a mic switched off might have a channel 'adjustment' made inadvertantly, and then cause trouble when it's switched on later...and then the sound man has no idea what's causing the trouble, as he didn't switch it on. The switch is also one more potential point of failure. Bad all the way around.

Actualy thats quite right...even in practice you can just slide the mixer fader down...no need for switch :idea:

• Members

Aside from the usual +1 for the SM58, sennheiser's e845's are great, I like them a lot. Shure's Beta 58's are great too, but if you've got the cash you should definitely get an Audix OM7.

Also, I don't like mics with switches, for reasons already stated, and for another simple fact that singers have a habit of accidentally turning the switch off in the middle of a song... then looking at me like it's my fault when the vocals suddenly disappear.

• Members

You might try an EV N/D 967. Excellent GBF, and being so close to the capsule should give you a very full sound. It's a great mic for the kind of music you're doing.

Screaming isn't going to distort a 58, and I would hate to be on the receiving end of someone screaming into a Beta 58. A 58 would be the ideal mic if you don't want to spend a whole lot, because they sound fine and they don't have that tear-your-head-off high end. That's why everybody and their dog uses them. And of course, don't get one with a switch. There are very few applications where a switched mic is appropriate, and on stage with a rock band ain't one of them.

In any case, if you can insert a compressor/limiter on your vocal, that's going to help a ton. Set it to hit hard when you scream, save everyone's ears, and hopefully make the parts when you're not screaming intellegable, or at least audible. Even if you're squashing the hell out of the peaks (screams), and overcompression or hard limiting is making it muddy, it won't matter because you're just screaming. ;)

• Members

Thanks guys for helping me out! Your advices are realy useful! Just can't get these kind of information from the salles personel...don't know jack {censored} about different types of music! Time for some testing!:)

In any case, if you can insert a compressor/limiter on your vocal, that's going to help a ton. Set it to hit hard when you scream, save everyone's ears, and hopefully make the parts when you're not screaming intellegable, or at least audible. Even if you're squashing the hell out of the peaks (screams), and overcompression or hard limiting is making it muddy, it won't matter because you're just screaming.
;)

Thats quite a good idea...but what kind of a compressor/limiter are you talking about? My friend has an behringer Shark DSP110 (somekind of feedback destroyer) which has something like that, but I doubt that the shark culd be useful...or could it?

• Members

If it's your personal mic only then go ahead and get a switch if you want however I can't tell you the number of times that (were talking some top names here) performers at sound check have gone up to the mic and when no sound came out glared at me as if Im an idiot. I simply walk over smiling and turn on the switch (thinking to myself what an idiot). Some people get it and some don't. If you get a switched mic, keep some gaff handy to tape the switch on when other people are using it.

Archived