I really lost it today

• Members

I am in a unique and probably bad situtation in that we are using a historic renovation contractor to do the actual hang of our FOH speakers since we are a historic theater etc and he did all of the initial restoration work. We are both on the board of directors, so I can't tell him to take a hike.

anyway...I have been screamimg all week long about keeping our brand new Meyer speakers covered to avoid sawdust and brickdust while they jackhammered out 100 yr old brick and made cuts to make our hangs. They haven't seemed to pay much attention to me. All of our speakers have a nice coating of fine brick dust covering them, because they are uncovered most of the day.

Today, however, I really lost it...they had hung one of the CQ2's, but it really needed a few bricks removed from the wall below it in order for the angles to be proper. They insisted on leaving the speaker hung while they actually used a jackhammer to remove the bricks below the speaker. I was complaining that all the dust and an errant jackhammer was sure to destroy our new speaker....

" it will be OK"

"No, really These speakers are sensitive and expensive"

....then jackhammering....my CQ2 shaking violently

"hey...excessive vibration is bad for sensitive electronics"

"Well...then you move it cause we ain't"

"OK, I will"

"we ain't got time for you to move it"

it got bad... I said "well then it's all on you and left"...

Am I wrong? Will my speakers survive? I am still pissed.

• Members

Other than maybe the emotional content of your conversation, I'd say you were correct. I'd also say don't worry - Be happy. As you told the guy "If anything happens it's on you". Well there you go. If the speaker's OK then No harm - No foul. If there's a problem you just say "I told you so" at which point you ask this contractor to buy and hang another very expensive Meyers Speaker.

Just to CYA (cover your ***) you might want to report the dust problem to the board chairman (including the fact that you tried to get the contractor to cover them or remove them but they refused). You don't need to put too much emotional energy behind it but in a nice way make sure that they understand where the liability lies if the speaker doesn't work propperly.

P.S. depending on the situation. You might even ask the contractor to clean the dust off (since I'm assuming that you hung a perfectly clean new speaker and they're the ones who made it dirty). This could serve as a bit of confirmation as to what went on. Just remember who's right and keep your cool (things go so much better that way:D )

• Members

If the speaker's OK then No harm - No foul. If there's a problem you just say "I told you so" at which point you ask this contractor to buy and hang another very expensive Meyers Speaker.

Just to CYA (cover your ***) you might want to report the dust problem to the board chairman (including the fact that you tried to get the contractor to cover them or remove them but they refused). You don't need to put too much emotional energy behind it but in a nice way make sure that they understand where the liability lies if the speaker doesn't work propperly.

Exactly. No emotion, just insist that the speaker left hanging is unchanged (in it's entirety) from the speaker that was there before they started jackhammering... nothing more, nothing less. Guaranteed, it never will be so until there is a new speaker hanging there. When the jackhammer dude has replaced the speaker with a new one, you sign off on the project.

All that's needed here is a little attitude adjustment:

Hank Jr. said it best:

Now I met an old friend

In the bar the other night

And he got a little drunk

And he wanted to fight

And he jumped up

And challenged every man in the room

And just about the time he got the words out

An 'ol boy jumped up and closed his mouth

And used his head for a mop

And his butt for a broom

It was an attitude adjustment

I guess it was his first time

An attitude adjustment

Now he understands just fine

He got bent out of shape

And he opened his mouth

And just one appointment

Straightened him right out

It was an adttitude adjustment

Oh It'll work every time

Well I've got this big 'ol brother-in-law

And me and him just never did get along

Because he wants to make sure

I'm treating his sister right

He got drunk one night

And started beating me up

And I went and got a tire tool

Out of my truck

And laid him out as cold as a block of ice

And it will work every time

An attitude adjustment

I made him see the light

And he says I'm his kind of man

And he comes around with his hat in his hand

I cured all his family pride

Now my girlfriend slapped me in the face

I said darlin that was you're first mistake

Then she went wild and her eyes turned red

She started breaking everything

And sceaming loud

And kickin me and cussin me out

And I gave her a little adjustment

On the top of the head

Now she loves on me all the time

Just an attitude adjustment

She got a whole new frame of mind

She don't nag

And I don't beg

And we get along and like I said

Just an attitude adjustment

Oh everythings just fine

Well almost

She called the cops to take me in

And I said you're never gonna do it friend

And they just smiled

And said "Oh Yes We Will"

Now a stick to the head

And some kicks in the chin

And a several bites from Rin Tin Tin

And I couldn't wait to get into that jail

Oh I went along peacfully

Attitude adjustment

Oh they made me cleary see

Cause my head is black

And my legs are blue

And both knee caps are bent clean through

It made my whole outlook brand new

Just a attitude adjustment

It made my whole outlook brand new

• Members

Shouldn't be anything wrong, aside from maybe some cosmetic damage ... and dust. The grills on the CQ's will stop most dust getting during this relatively short time.

Although ... do make sure the speaker functions properly too

Yea... but... a couple years ago... an SUV full of cheerleaders smucked into Liz's Astro van while it was parked along side the curb of her folks' house. Admittedly all that was wrong with Liz's Astro van, after the incident, was some cosmetic damage... like the whole driver's side of her Astro van was smashed all to {censored}. The head cheerleader's mommy's insurance agent offered the argument that Liz's van seemed to be still drivable... no apparent functional foul... no loss. Well... true... but... fixing the cosmetic appearance and assuring that the frame and running gear was still proper costs $4K. The insurance agent didn't see it my way until I offered to sell Liz's van to him for book value... and Liz could go buy another van that isn't suffering "a little cosmetic damage and possibly some undetermined mechanical damage."

If the Meyer speaker is still 100%... then the jackhammer dude shouldn't have any problem owning it, and replacing it with a new one.

• Members

I really hate it when something violently vibrates my speaker- and its not me!

sorry.. couldn't resist... he should have covered them like you say.. but I doubt it harmed them... blow it off with some compressed air, wrap it in plastic, and go have a beer.

• Members

Yea... but... a couple years ago... an SUV full of cheerleaders smucked into Liz's Astro van while it was parked along side the curb of her folks' house. Admittedly all that was wrong with Liz's Astro van, after the incident, was some cosmetic damage... like the whole driver's side of her Astro van was smashed all to {censored}. The head cheerleader's mommy's insurance agent offered the argument that Liz's van seemed to be still drivable... no apparent functional foul... no loss. Well... true... but... fixing the cosmetic appearance and assuring that the frame and running gear was still proper costs $4K. The insurance agent didn't see it my way until I offered to sell Liz's van to him for book value... and Liz could go buy another van that isn't suffering "a little cosmetic damage and possibly some undetermined mechanical damage."

If the Meyer speaker is still 100%... then the jackhammer dude shouldn't have any problem owning it, and replacing it with a new one.

Ummm ... how funny is this ... the contractor doing said work is a historic renovation contractor ... so I guess his reasoning ... if its new, I don't have to worry about it as I only have to worry about the old stuff? lol

Anyways Mark, the OP said that he wasn't doing any direct damage to the speaker ... only refering to a possible erent tool/material (minus the dust, which the foam grill will take care of ... If they're external, you can just peel them off, otherwise the whole metal grill will have to come off to get to the inner foam grill). As long as all parties are made aware of the situation (since you can't really fire the guy, or really want to burn any bridges since your both on the board), then, until an incident (cosmetic or otherwise) occurs, do all you can and hopefully nothing happens (to the speakers).

Since the contractor is in the board of directors .. is he working directly, or is it the company he works for? If the later, his company takes the hit for the damages done ... maybe a call to his employers might make a small dent in everything.

Also .. where are the chinese road cases the CQ's came in? Why not keep them in them? (or put them back after your done looking at some eyecandy) so they don't get as easily damaged, and out of sight for potential walk offs?? Why couldn't YOU cover them up (yeah .. he should have at least have drop cloths to use ... but aparently not by your post).

Now the hang of CQ's, was it just 1 speaker, or an array? I don't know the particulars of the rig or what methods you have to get them up/down (ground and arial support) and how they are rigged (ATM 2x2? to ???). If its anything more than 1 speaker, then yeah, its not moving without co-ordinated help, and even then, 1 CQ rigged is a pain in the ass to make dissapear by oneself. Otherwise, everyone seems to be just a little too lazy on all parts about this matter in the whole.

Also Mark, do you think anyone else knows what a CQ sounds like? If it makes noise when you tell it to, "it works" in the minds of most people. Did the OP test them when they took delivery? Before they went up in the air? Right now? Its easier to tell if damaged occured if its cosmetic rather than internal ... as well, it probably would still sound better than 99% of everyones car radio/home stereo with a slightly shifted magnet.

• Members

Ummm ... how funny is this ... the contractor doing said work is a historic renovation contractor ... so I guess his reasoning ... if its new, I don't have to worry about it as I only have to worry about the old stuff? lol

From my personal experiences (many), this is truer than you possibly think.

We have a standing joke at my place, concerning inadvertently trashing stuff... like leaving tracks in the lawn, poking a hole through the side of the shop, or otherwise just messing something up good... if there's someone else around when it happens... the other person will say: "Awe... just leave it... heck nobody will notice, and if they do, we can just blame it on a contractor... and even if contractor didn't do it, what they will do will make that pale by compairison."

Seriously. I could go on and on, but one of my best contractor stories is from last summer. The manhole covers in our town needed upgrading. I was unaware of this until one day a fleet of heavy equipment and vehicles drove out into my yard... mind you I don't have any manhole covers on my property. I asked them "what's up". One of the contractor employees snarled an answer and asked what business is it of mine? I told them they're parked private property and asked them to move their vehicles and take the ruts in my lawn with them. They told me they didn't see what the problem was, but that the vehicles would be gone soon enough... and they didn't see what the problems with the ruts were. So... they drove through my garden on the way out of the yard. Later on, one of the dudes from the contractor service was knocking on my shop door... wondering if they could borrow a chain to lift the manhole rigs off... these guys had a quartermillion worth of new 4X4 pick-up trucks, but didn't have the basic tool (a chain) to do the job. I handed the dude a nice, new 20ft. x 3/8" chain. He walked off, dragging the chain across my new driveway concrete, and then walked and drug the chain through my tomatoes. I said "hey"... he said "wha?" I said "those are my tomatoes"... he said "huh?... whadda you mean?" I said "tomato plants, that grow tomatoes"... he said "so.. izzat a problem?" I said "just walk on the sidewalk... that's what it's there for, ok?" Well, that was the last I saw of the contractors and my chain. They did something to all the manhole covers in town, but now, 9 months later, the streets are still all tore-up around all the manhole covers... and their tire tracks, Twinkie wrappers, empty tar buckets, etc... are still in evidence everywhere they worked... unless somebody else has dealt with it. And, even though they left a wake of desctruction and their muddy footprints all over town, they did a really nice job on installing new manhole covers and rings though.

• Members

Yeah, its a eye opener for sure ... similar things/feelings when I work for film carp shops ... all of the trades work together for the end result ... until we head out and do some non film instalation work, where its everyman for themselves kind of attitude ... "not my thing, not my problem"

Just like the strip lighting contractor a few years back in a grocery store, wanting to hang his lights through our signage, his reasoning is that the points above the sign (20x5' footprint) weren't being used, so he was going to use them to hang his lighting directly undernieth (and centered) under the sign ... yeah right!

• Members

Don't confuse contractors with assholes. Unfortunately with public work they always take the low bid and typically you get a bunch of assholes. You get what you pay for. I'd say most people in the trades take pride in their job. They take the time to do it right, make it strait, and plan for it to last forever. Then you get the guys that show up to work drunk, just want to get it done so they can go home, trash whatever isn't theres, ect... Was the entire theater renovated? If so, nothing but construction related materials are supposed to be in there until you get a CO anyway. If not, you're better off moving the stuff and covering it yourself. These are not movers they're carpenters (or whatever trade they were). They should have drop clothes though, that is a little ridiculous. People like that give the trades a bad rep.

Archived