Peavey in Canada

• Members

I noticed a lot of discussion over Peavey mixers, speakers etc etc. on this site. Not that I dont prefer Peavey or do prefer it. I have just noticed, in Canada there isnt too many sound outfits using Peavey products. The norm i see in the four or five sound companies ive worked with around canada usually A&H Mixwizard, GL2200, etc. Midas, Soundcraft, even Behringer!! Canada has two major incorperated music retail stores, both distributors of peavey, but still an uncommon buy merely from observation?? Any comments

Im sure I am wrong, but still.... I have gone to school in two different institutes for Sound engineering, and recording, and worked for various major audio/lighting companies. But in all these years, I havnt worked with one Incorperated successfull running business using Peavey?? I know their must be enough sales, but it looks like a lot of other products are in the field.

I smell a market for me to do sales in!!

sorry for the inconvienence guys.

Alex Pelle,

Project indie Studios.

www.myspace.com/solomatic

• Members

a freind of my had a music store he he started to carry the Peavey line I could not belive what he had to do to get the line.he had to sign a contract that gave peavey rights to take money out of his bank acount when ever they wanted and the stock that they made him carry was stupid,also they told him if your going to be a peavey dealer you would have to drop some other lines that he allready had,anyways if that is what they demand of stores to carry there line that may be a reason you dont see alot of peavey dealers.I know there arent any where I live or in any close buy cities either

• Members

Ya is that right ehh??

well I understand Long & Mcquade is brother company with Yorkville, thats practiclly all they stalk now, in their PA department. along with ART, ALTO, Traynor, and Apex, which are all divisions of Yorkville. So i guess that has givin me the impression about Peavey.. thought I would ask!~

However when i open up the music retail department in the music facility I was apart of I found it extremly difficult to get on board with a few companies as a distriubotor. One being Peavey, the other being yamaha... Behringer, Phonic, Mackie, EV, even Digidesign was no sweat!

• Members

Ya is that right ehh??

well I understand Long & Mcquade is brother company with Yorkville, thats practiclly all they stalk now, in their PA department. along with ART, ALTO, Traynor, and Apex, which are all divisions of Yorkville. So i guess that has givin me the impression about Peavey.. thought I would ask!~

However when i open up the music retail department in the music facility I was apart of I found it extremly difficult to get on board with a few companies as a distriubotor. One being Peavey, the other being yamaha... Behringer, Phonic, Mackie, EV, even Digidesign was no sweat!

wow peavey and yorkville as brothers? thats hard to belive Im surprise Jack Long would decide to do that with peavey

• Members

oh no...

Yorkville has no relation to Peavey.. atleast i dont think they do accept that they distrbute for Peavey. However geting back to my original statement.. I dont see TO MUCH Peavey product in the two major retail stores in canada. I dont see Peavey in four of the L&M locations in the Vancouver Canada area.

BUT..

Long&Mcquade, and Yokville, are brother companies. Yorkville of course manufactures cabling, and Public addres, and accessories.. Yorkvilles has set out a few divisions. Alto, Apex, Traynor, and ART. All of which are products I THINK are manurfactured in Canada. Alto is basically the same products as Yorkville, they manurfacture amps, mixers. etc etc.. ART is Applied research and technology, they manurfacture EQ's Vacuume tube preamps a lot of processing gear, the name Traynor from my understanding is a Vintage Registered name which you see on a lot of guitar and bass rigs, and Apex is a lot of accessories ad micrphones . or boom stands, ect. Thats what I know to the best of my knowledge. hopefully im completly accurate. check out Yorkville.com

• Members

oh no...

Yorkville has no relation to Peavey.. atleast i dont think they do accept that they distrbute for Peavey. However geting back to my original statement.. I dont see TO MUCH Peavey product in the two major retail stores in canada. I dont see Peavey in four of the L&M locations in the Vancouver Canada area.

BUT..

Long&Mcquade, and Yokville, are brother companies. Yorkville of course manufactures cabling, and Public addres, and accessories.. Yorkvilles has set out a few divisions. Alto, Apex, Traynor, and ART. All of which are products I THINK are manurfactured in Canada. Alto is basically the same products as Yorkville, they manurfacture amps, mixers. etc etc.. ART is Applied research and technology, they manurfacture EQ's Vacuume tube preamps a lot of processing gear, the name Traynor from my understanding is a Vintage Registered name which you see on a lot of guitar and bass rigs, and Apex is a lot of accessories ad micrphones . or boom stands, ect. Thats what I know to the best of my knowledge. hopefully im completly accurate. check out Yorkville.com

Hey Alex,Im not so sure about alto being the same as Yorkville I was talking to the rep and he said something along the line that they wernt that happy about handling the Alto line,that makes me think that its not make by Yorkville the Alto seems very cheap to me (just my opion) Have you seen or heard much about the new cabs yorkville are making in china ? they really look like the elite line as far as cab ,speaker grill, and handles I have heard them in the store and was very impressed (for the price) I have a pair of elites 408s that I just love,anyways its allways nice talking to you

• Members

The norm i see in the four or five sound companies ive worked with around canada usually A&H Mixwizard, GL2200, etc. Midas, Soundcraft, even Behringer!! Canada has two major incorperated music retail stores, both distributors of peavey, but still an uncommon buy merely from observation??

I never see Peavey in major sound companies. Not long ago Peavey bought Crest to get a line in the touring sound market. I am lost with the comparison between sound companies and major retail stores. Sound companies carry professional gear and music stores carry MI-level consumer gear. Here in the south Peavey has always had a strong consumer level presence.

In the `70's and `80's the stuff was everywhere and most people were used to it sounding bad. It was not the fault of the gear it sounded bad. The users were clueless about how to make it work. Most churches had their speakers in the wrong place and their inputs hummed due to connectivity issues. I think people blamed the gear for user caused problems. What was true is the stuff was bulletproof.

When the mackie stuff came out everybody around here went mackie nuts. This stuff was supposed to be sooooo much better than peavey. Other companies moved in as mail order catalogs and the internet took off. I think the dust has settled now and people respect Peavey for what it is : high quality consumer electronics. It ain't a Midas H-3000 or a JBL Vertec but if you compare apples to apples and dollar for dollar it stands up to anyone else.

:blah:

Just my opinion.

• Members

Hey Alex,Im not so sure about alto being the same as Yorkville I was talking to the rep and he said something along the line that they wernt that happy about handling the Alto line,that makes me think that its not make by Yorkville the Alto seems very cheap to me (just my opion) Have you seen or heard much about the new cabs yorkville are making in china ? they really look like the elite line as far as cab ,speaker grill, and handles I have heard them in the store and was very impressed (for the price) I have a pair of elites 408s that I just love,anyways its allways nice talking to you

Yorkville is the Canadian distributor for Alto. Yorkville is supposed to test the products before distributing them and only chooses those that pass their evaluation. However, I've tried a few Alto products and was not particularly impressed. Best to spend a little more and get something that performs well and will last. Yorkville's new YX series is very impressive for the money, and they do like the Elite cabs. I'm sure they will be very popular. I've used the Elite 404s which are simply the 4ohm version of your 408s I believe. They do sound very good but man are they heavy! That's the thing I remember most about them. They did perform very well. I almost bought them but couldn't see myself carrying them up a bunch of stairs...:) Al

• Members

Yorkville is the Canadian distributor for Alto. Yorkville is supposed to test the products before distributing them and only chooses those that pass their evaluation. However, I've tried a few Alto products and was not particularly impressed. Best to spend a little more and get something that performs well and will last. Yorkville's new YX series is very impressive for the money, and they do like the Elite cabs. I'm sure they will be very popular. I've used the Elite 404s which are simply the 4ohm version of your 408s I believe. They do sound very good but man are they heavy! That's the thing I remember most about them. They did perform very well. I almost bought them but couldn't see myself carrying them up a bunch of stairs...
:)
Al

Hi Al.yeppers that what I say every weekend when i load them in my van (f@#k these are heavy) but the sound is worth it i think,most the time anyways,lol the only thing i dont like about them is they do not sit on my speakers stands very well they seem unstable and they tilt,but they are cheapo stands

• Members

Hi Al.yeppers that what I say every weekend when i load them in my van (f@#k these are heavy) but the sound is worth it i think,most the time anyways,lol the only thing i dont like about them is they do not sit on my speakers stands very well they seem unstable and they tilt,but they are cheapo stands

I hope you don't have to put those up on stands by yourself. I had trouble with a pair of Yamaha club 15s that only weigh 60lbs. :eek: The 404/408s do sound good though and can handle a decent sized crowd by themselves. Very efficient and loud. :thu: Al

• Members

I hope you don't have to put those up on stands by yourself. I had trouble with a pair of Yamaha club 15s that only weigh 60lbs.
:eek:
The 404/408s do sound good though and can handle a decent sized crowd by themselves. Very efficient and loud.
:thu:
Al

Ive done it by myself but not anymore its just to much I want to get some of those crank stands ,ultimate stands i think they are

• Members
So if i wanna get some peavy, where can i get it in Canada?

i was just about to head down to L&M in Vancouver to check them out..[/

QUOTE]

well according to solomaniac17 you can get it at L&M ,but if you compare it to the yorkville line at L&M im sure you will be walking out with yorkville stuff

• Members

You know, People will always have their preferences, I was under the impression for a long time that Peavey really wasnt as good as a product as others, but of course you have to take into consideration what makes a product, and who is using it.. For example.. I own quite a bit of Behringer product. despite where it is manurfactored, or how new and low cost it is. I follow the engineering, and basically what it has come down to is the fact that I have made just as good of income with my business in production, and services with Behringer product, as I have before with companies such as Midas, or Crest audio, even mackie, Ev, or a science fiction mess from the 60's just to get through a gig...

So I think the moral regarding quality of gear and production is.....

....its the driver behind the wheel,

and if any of you want to argue that then you are way out of line. So despite the fact that I dont see Peavey on the Pro audio line, or maybe L&M doesnt distribute them so much, even though they deal with Behringer!!...you should be able to use any brand name to get the job done well.. you may just have to work harder.

• Members
I never see Peavey in major sound companies. Not long ago Peavey bought Crest to get a line in the touring sound market. I am lost with the comparison between sound companies and major retail stores.

Most major sound companies in Canada are retailers and distributors as well, their just not the two major retail stores up here.. The beauty about investing half a million dollars and up in professional audio may infact score your company dealer status if you are smart.. therefore; retail stores and major sound outfits can be the same company. If the sound company doesnt know what their doing, then inevitably the sound company isn't going to get to the competative level, their probabaly end up claiming bankruptcy and the rest is history. On that note...Major sound companies usually provide services for any event size, so having products designed to address all applications from touring, to garage band are usually found either in retail departments or in the wharehouse of the sound companies.

One paticular large vancouver based sound company BPG, is a retail store as well as providing services for DJ events, and small to large out door and in door events.

I believe they Deal with

companies such as, Midas, A&H, Martin Audio, Yamaha, Behringer, Mackie, Electro Voice, ect. ect.

• Members

and if any of you want to argue that then you are way out of line.

Ive seen some awesome drivers that have had wrecks because of defects in cheaps products

• Members

and if any of you want to argue that then you are way out of line.

Ive seen some awesome drivers that have had wrecks because of defects in cheaps products

well ...a defect is a defect... a properly running rig. being cheap, or low cost, should still do the job as long as u know what u r doing. unfortunatley some cheap equipment breakes easy! once its broken thats another story.. I dont see to many great race car drivers winning races with a broken or defective race car.

• Members

To find your nearest dealer ... go here

L&M is a Peavey dealer in about 4 locations ... but again you can check on the website.

Peavey does not have a Canadian distributor. Products shipped to Canada come from here in Meridian, same as in the US.

I was kinda hoping for you to comment Don!

getting back to the original question, I dont see much Peavey product in Canada, whether its being sold, used or new, or in the field.. in a major sound outfit that is also a retail store, or a major retail outfit. I dont see to much.. I think that pretty much answers my question above From Mr. Boomer.

• Members

Ya the new Yorkville cabs Great orkville has come a long way, I bought a lot of their product of course being a customer of L$M,

But yes Alto i a branch of Yorkville products, and that is exactly why they dont like dealing with them.. Yorkville doesnt make microphones like apex, so of course theirs no competition within divisions, but ALto and Yorkville both make speakers, and amps, and practically the same products. Alto is a lot cheaper, and I can understand why. I bought an Alto Mistral 2500 Power Amp once for 299.99 canadian, haha i couldnt pass it up, Its not the sweetest thing in the closest but it does the job if It's needed for why I bought it as a backup.

• Members

I was kinda hoping for you to comment Don!

getting back to the original question, I dont see much Peavey product in Canada, whether its being sold, used or new, or in the field.. in a major sound outfit that is also a retail store, or a major retail outfit. I dont see to much.. I think that pretty much answers my question above From Mr. Boomer.

What exactly are you asking? We ship tons of it to Canada!

• Members

What exactly are you asking? We ship tons of it to Canada!

well..........

I wanted to know why I dont see "many" Peavey products in comparison to other products of competetive class being used in the field up here or sold in retail. L&M and Tom Lee Music are the two major incorperated retailers in professional audio, and instruments in Canada, so they carry practically every common line of product. As much as I read Peavey is talked about on this forum, I still dont see much of it being sold, or used in any of the larger or smaller sound outfits in the Vancouver area..This led me to beleive that maybe this company isn't just not that popular in vancouver, but maybe elsewhere in Canada, and you supported my theory by saying their are only 4 L&M locations that are dealers for Peavey. I m sure Peavey does good sales up here regardless of my opinion, but i just dont see it in any school I trained in relative to the industry, retail store,s or sound and Dj ompanys.. what the helll?

Archived