condenser mic for cymbals question....

• Members

I have asked this question in the past but this time with a little more experience....after using a triggered acoustic drum kit in our show 2 weeks ago I was overwhelmingly impressed with the sound of the kit through my system (thanks to an LS800). IMO & to my ears I would still like to hear the cymbals in the mix with the drums to make a more complete sound of the kit. (to me they kinda get lost in the background compared to evrything else on the set)... we talked here before about using one condenser mic and rolling off some of the lower frequencies to eliminate some of the toms and to some degree isolating the cymbals. My question would be... can I get away with the one condenser mic to pick up all the cymbals including the ride and hi-hat or would I be better off trying to just pick up the crash's,splash's, and china with the condenser mic and individually micing the hi-hat & ride??

thanks as always!!

• Members

ya use two over heads if u can, place them just under 2 feet above the height of the cymabals and around a foot apart from eachother.. their is a more technical placement, and even more detailed for recording, to reduce phasing and running into phase anomalies.. but just experiment.... roll off the bass, or if the condensor mic u use for overheads has a cut off... or roll off switch then use it. your mixer might have on too! u can mic the hi hat, but dont overkill. hi hats can be loud and dynamic and sumtimes be picked up by the snare mic and so on. and if your using a condensor mic for over heads they may pick up enuff of it too!! carefull with the condensor mics, their a lot more sensitive and reqire more attention in regards to feedback sometimes in live applications...

Archived