Mackie SRM450's??

• Members

Ok so I'm starting to put together a PA. I just ordered 2 Mackie SRM450's and have nothing else except mic's. As far as mixers go what do you reccomend. I'm not going to need anything powered but I guess it doesn't matter. I was looking at the Mackier 1604 but saw all the problems with ribbon cables going bad. Anyway in help is appreciated.

• CMS Author

Ok so I'm starting to put together a PA. I just ordered 2 Mackie SRM450's and have nothing else except mic's. As far as mixers go what do you reccomend. I'm not going to need anything powered but I guess it doesn't matter. I was looking at the Mackier 1604 but saw all the problems with ribbon cables going bad. Anyway in help is appreciated.

Powered or not does matter. Your speakers are powered, no need to get a powered mixer.

It's interesting how many times this has come up in the past week or so.

• Members

they have an input level adjustment on the back. mixer output differences are not an issue.

i have 6 of these at work and i think they are awful, i really do not like them at all for anything other than spoken word amplification. their HF spead is very wide which is suitable sometimes but mostly i wish they were narrower.

YMMV

• Members

they are fine. i am too picky. they are better than EONs imho. if they shut down on you - your outside in the sun or your driving them way WAY too hard. i run them loud as hell as "pa on a stick" and have never had a thermal.

i just dont like them very much.

i might even go as far as to say i dislike them.

but they make work perfect for you.

• Members

heres the deal with what i was gonna do.

currently have an hk system (one 400watts bass bin and 2 x200watts tops)

but have started micing drums which is pushing it a bit.

(4 vocals, k/b plus kick, snare and 1 extra)

its still not too bad but just struggling a little.

i thought about keeping this pa solely for drums and keyboard and getting 2 of the mackie speakers for vocals.

we have 2 mixers anyway.

would this work?

itd mean wed have 800 watts for drums and 800 watts just for vocals.

i think it would work well but my knowledge is very limited.

• Members

Ok, so basically this is what I need. I'm looking for a Non-powered mixer that can mic a guitarist, bassist, 2 singers and a drum kit for live playing. What do you reccomomend in the $300 to $600 range. Is there non powered mixers with "good" effects for vocals?? Thanks guys.

• Members

Yamaha's new MG124C/CX mixers might be what you need, depending how many mics on your drums. They offer compression on a few channels which is great for a screaming signer. Peavey PV14 might be better if you need more channels. Both are in your price range and should be good sounding and dependable. Best wishes, Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D545271%252526CTID%25253D227900,00.html

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116339/number/00512780/cat/86/begin/1/PV%AE+14+USB.cfm

• Members

Ok, the mixwiz looks great but seem a little pricy. So if you were me would you get the Mackie 1604(or CFX series) or the Yamaha brands cheap. I'm going to be micing a guitar amp, bass amp, 2 singers and 3 mics for a drummer all run through 2 powered Mackie 450's and 1 Mack 1501 Sub. I need to order something today so any help would be appreciated. We are a rock band.

• Members

Stay away from the real cheap Mackie boards, DFX and CFX. The Onyx are suppose to be real nice and the new redesigned VLZ's look like a nice board esp if they have the Onyx pre's and EQ. The CFX has signal routing that can be hard to figure out if you dont have a lot of time and not familar with a mixer. I had a CFX before the Mixwiz and my wife and other band members just couldnt get it down without asking me whats going on everytime. They dont have this problem with the Mixwiz. Personally I would look at the new Yamaha's or the Peavey's esp if your on a budget. I like the addition of the USB recording on the Peaveys and I like the compressor features on the new Yamahas. A few reports say the Peaveys sound good, nothing yet on the Yamahas. I do like my Mixwiz and would recomend them as well.

The Mackie SRM450s are not bad sounding speakers. I had a set of the Itailian made boxes and used them as mains for about a year or two with no problems. The overheating issues are more of a problem during heavy usage at the monitor setting. Ive used mine outdoors many of times without any problems but they were up in the air on poles. Micing the drums is ok but dont expect a lot of thump out of the 450, its only a 12" woofer so be carefull cranking it up and asking heavey kick drum hits out of it. If you can get a single sub as soon as you can then start rumbling the walls.

• Members

I really didn't like mixing on the Mackie CFX, so I wouldn't even look at the cheaper DFX boards. The peavey and yamaha boards I've used have been good though, no complaints atall.

I also dont like the sound of the SRM450s. Over in America you guys get the Yorkville nx55 for round about the same price, dont you?

Steve.

Archived